triharder

Okay starting planning for the trip back from San Diego to Maine this summer.

Lessons learned from the last trip is that we will camp in lieu of hotels for the majority of the trip back.

(thinking 2 nights camping to 1 night hotel or such)

So does anybody out there do any long distance (cross country or a few night) 2-up trips. Space is limited so I'm thinking topcase rack and hopefully squeezing 2 sleeping bags, 2 sleeping pads and a 2 person tent on it.

I'm hoping somebody can throw out some experience and Let me know some options I might not have considered.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Member Contributer

While I tour alone, I've been on several trips lasting four weeks or more. I have Givi 41 liter hard bags (no top box). I find the philosophy of backpacking is useful. Small light weight stuff (very small tent, sleeping bag and foam sleeping pads.) I plan to eat most of my meals at restaurants or grocery stores (a deli sandwich in the parking lot or back at camp). The only cooking gear I bring are a compact butane stove, a french press coffee mug, and silverware. I use campground shower facilities or the occasional motel. I wear either an Aerostich riding suit (MANY pockets) or a Transit Suit (fewer pockets) so I always have "weather gear" on.

Aerostich puts out a very small booklet "LIGHTWEIGHT: Unsupported Motorcycle Travel for TERMINAL CASES" ($5) with many good suggestions and resource references.

Hope this helps. Good luck and safe riding.

Been on several 2-up tours. Pack light, take only what you need and plan a few nights in hotels in ugly weather or to rest up. We stop every hour or so for food, drinks, and photos to make sure my spouse is comfy on the back. We've used the top case and two panniers and have enough storage for everything that we need. Crank up the rear preload and off you go - lots of fun!

• Member Contributer

Come on over I can talk you thru the stuff I have used for years of MC camping. Most of it is small........too small as regards the tent. PM if interested. But with a VFR I think all options are off the table...............small is key.

My top kit choice.

2782977610099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

Invest in a comfy sleeping mat; bought a therm-a-rest 30 years ago, still works a treat...

To save space, you could go for a shorter one, pressure points are shoulder to hip mainly.

• Member Contributer

Once or twice a year, I take a week -long tour with a riding buddy. We camp unless it’s raining heavily, in which case we’ll usually stay in a cheap motel to keep the tent dry. I’m a lifelong backpacker, so my gear is all small and light. I find that a small duffel strapped to the rear seat holds everything I need. Sleeping bag, half of a two man tent (or all of my one man tent if I’m alone) stove for making coffee, a pair of sandals, two quick dry t-shirts and underwear. My tank bag holds a compressed insulated vest , minimal toiletries, pressure gauge, knife, cell phone, snacks and other miscellaneous items. Eating at local cafes adds interest to the trip and eliminates the mess of food and cooking equipment. If you have side boxes, you will fill them, but if you start with the premise that all you carry will either be worn or put in the duffel and tank bag, you’ll find that you really don’t need anything else.

Having light weight backpacking gear makes this easier, but if you’re buying gear, why not choose items that can easily pop into a backpack for a little hiking? I know the issue here is two up touring, but the principle of carrying minimal gear applies even more when you're packing for two.

post-21103-0-75037600-1328800629.jpg

post-21103-0-62439600-1328800663.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've taken tons of 2-up travels, on everything from 650 Bonnevilles to a Gold Wing. I started traveling with a pillion in '73.

This is just personal opinion but I've done the motorcycle camping thing, and thought it was just too much of a PIA. You have to pack comparably bulky camping gear, set up in the evening, and pack up in the morning. I quit doing it after several trips when I just got tired of the hassle. It also really limits what you can carry as far as clothes and such. Also since you don't have to set up camp and break camp, you can travel later in the day and start earlier in the morning. JMO of course. Early mornings and early evenings are my favorite times to travel, the slanting sunlight really highlights the scenery.

That being said, a Thermarest is a great investment. I still have mine from those early days and it still works. Granted it needs a few puffs of air to fully open up but it stays in its bag most of the time. Makes sleeping on the ground less uncomfortable. There are a myriad of small tents that will work, and a good sleeping bag is worth spending some bucks on. A Walmart special won't cut it there, IMO.

Motorcycle camping for one is okay, not great but okay, for two, meh.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I'm planning on going after higher end hiking/camping gear. I'm not an overnight backpacker yet, but given the option once i have the gear I'm sure I'll use again.

Anybody have any packing suggestion.

I"m thinking of stacking the tent, sleeping bags & sleeping pads in dry sacks/bag and strapping to the topcase rack on the bike.

Anybody have any experience doing that?

• Member Contributer

Not sure where you live now ...ME or San Diego?

Recommend Big Agnes or Exped insulated inflatable mat. Most of THermarest pads foam/air are too big for storage purposes in your situation. Go to REI to check out high tech backing gear. In your case I would watch for folded tent pole length which can be a storage issue. You can only measure this as most URLs do not have folded pole length on web sites specs.

I use every kind of waterproof storage bags to squeeze in extra crap....you have room for just the basics for two though.

med_gallery_2144_4694_315081.jpg

Chair included plus cooking gear....you do not have room for either

2544145780099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

This is just personal opinion but I've done the motorcycle camping thing, and thought it was just too much of a PIA. You have to pack comparably bulky camping gear, set up in the evening, and pack up in the morning. I quit doing it after several trips when I just got tired of the hassle. It also really limits what you can carry as far as clothes and such. Also since you don't have to set up camp and break camp, you can travel later in the day and start earlier in the morning. JMO of course. Early mornings and early evenings are my favorite times to travel, the slanting sunlight really highlights the scenery.

Motorcycle camping for one is okay, not great but okay, for two, meh.

I agree here! But, I still camp on every one of my trips about 50% of the time. Setup takes time! If you have the travel time or extra daylight while traveling in northern areas it can still work. Somebody will have to really like you to ride two up on a VFR across country and then setup/takedown a tent in the rain.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I'm planning on going after higher end hiking/camping gear. I'm not an overnight backpacker yet, but given the option once i have the gear I'm sure I'll use again.

Anybody have any packing suggestion.

I"m thinking of stacking the tent, sleeping bags & sleeping pads in dry sacks/bag and strapping to the topcase rack on the bike.

Anybody have any experience doing that?

Your suggestion here is exactly the way I pack. Immediate needs in a tank bag; tent (waterproof stuff sack), sleeping bag (seperate wp stuff sack), and sleeping pads (seperate non-wp bag) all go on the backrack held by a large bungie net. You may want to set up the tent w/o exposing your sleeping bags. Water bottle either in the tank bag or under the backrack bungie. All else goes in the hard bags (41 liter Givi s). Having many small sacks in the hard bags makes fitting it all in easier. It's important NOT to exceed the load limits for both the hard bags and the bike (Gross Vehicle Weight). (Hope you two don't need to loose weight. :goofy: )

Anybody have any packing suggestions.

A good rule of thumb, is to pack by weight..........

Heavier stuff as low and as far forward as possible.

When you finally head east, keep us posted. Great opportunity for a travelogue! I've a specific interest: my wife and I will be headed from The Way Life Should Be to the Atlanta area in late fall.

Safe travels.

Currentely I'm in kittery, Maine (southern most tip). However the bike is in San Diego, CA until July when i fly back and pick it up. I have a few other bikes so having the interceptor out west isn't too much of an inconvience. (besides its in the teens here anyway with snow on the way)

Thanks for the suggestions and pictures. I don't see anybody without stuff on the passenger seat. We'll be traveling in July/August so weather should at least be warm.

The first few days of the trip won't be far from a REI or walmart. Also if we need to hotels will be an option. Just hoping to save some money and actually we enjoy camping so a few nights under the stars out west seems like a good idea.

I'll probably keep another blog when i head west. (heading east the blog is: http://3000milesoffun.blogspot.com/ ( bit of out order so bare with it).

• Member Contributer

On the topic of sleeping pads that pack small, the current last word on the subject: http://www.rei.com/product/830684/therm-a-rest-neoair-all-season-sleeping-pad

I have six thermarest pads in all from over the years and the neo air is the ultimate. I got the shorter one. It packs to nothing and is the most comfortable pad you've ever slept on. The only problem is the price. As in all the high-end backpacking equipment, small & light = expensive. And these are expensive! That said, I'm still using the same two sleeping bags I carried when walking the Apalachian trail in 1978. Quality products generally last! Take the VFR, for instance. As I tell my children, when I'm no longer the owner, it will have changed hands by inheritance, not sale.

• 1 year later...

Thanks everyone for the posts about packing for the trip back east. Sadly in 2012 I broke my left Fibia, torn meticusus and some other knee damage riding a dirtbike too (slow??) or perhaps too fast. Hard to say.

In any case the VFR spent all of 2012 in my friends hands and I'll be retrieving this May 18th.

(it was a long summer to not be riding, missed motogp, missed the VFR, missed walking, etc).

However, going to get in about 6 weeks. I'll keep a blog and list out my gear.

Found a website called steepandcheap.com that sells discounted camping gear (last year and closeouts) for fair prices.

I'll be going to get a thermarest sleeping pad next week and hopefully try out the gear in Late April. (its still below freezing here on the east coast as of april 3rd).

Thanks again.

jake

• Member Contributer

Hello Jake,

sorry to read that 2012 was a bummer............ BUT there is always a next year!!!

For the Thermarest (or any other brand) you may consider a short version. your main "pressure points" are shoulder/hip. A good sleeping bag will compensate for not have the pad extending you your feet. You save a bit of packing space......

Our outdoor shops here all have a little "test bed" where you can put any of the pads on and try them out...

As for price/quality, I still own my Thermarest I bought for a backpack/train trip to Greece in 1981.... It may not self-inflate as much as it used to and sports some interesting stains.... (spilled goulash.... :goofy: is my standard answer..), it still insulates very well.

And in cold weather, wear a hat/beanie/whatever!! :beer:

Archived