Make it RAWR for less than $100

Guest nutball

Guest nutball

So Ive been wanting a louder exhaust (I came to this conclusion as some idiot on a cell phone slowly merged into my lane without realizing i was there...) but i'd rather not pay $1000. what to do? make my own. I came up with a basic concept and this is the first trial run. heres how it went down... (Just incase we have any pro welders reading this, this was welded with a 90$ flux-in-wire mig and i have about 10 hours of welding under my belt so Im aware the welds arent perfect..)

I decided to use the stock mid pipe as my research seems to point to the mufflers for most of the restrictiveness..

IMG 0107

I used some 2.5" pipe for the can.....

IMG 0108

IMG 0110

the concept is a basic glasspack muffler, the inner pipe is 1 5/8inch, its steel mesh tac welded then wrapped in 3 layers of fiberglass matting, and taped with metal heat tape.

IMG 0111

IMG 0112

c

now its just as easy as welding the whole thing up and blasting on a lil mounting bracket and presto

IMG 0115

IMG 0116

Ive only got one side done so far, more pics when everything is done and polished aka 2morro

Aftermarket mufflers really aren't all that expensive. Ebay is rotten with them. They don't have to be new.

Folks have spliced a pair of 2" aftermarket cans to the stock headpipes by means of a couple of adaptors.

Aftermarket mufflers really aren't all that expensive. Ebay is rotten with them. They don't have to be new.

Folks have spliced a pair of 2" aftermarket cans to the stock headpipes by means of a couple of adaptors.

I did see the array of options on ebay. my issue was none of them had the angle to follow the tail section. also even the simple glasspacks were 50$ and above, and quite a bit heavier...this is all code for ive been learning how to weld and needed a project...

heres the finished product. basically same deal on the second muffler, ground out all the welds, painted black. looks very discreet but doesnt leave the tail section empty. also as far as sound goes, it nowhere near as loud as a straight pipe but sounds very deep and rumbly.

IMG 0118

IMG 0119

IMG 0121

IMG 0125

Looks great! Do you think you might get a bit too much heat onto the plastics (rear lights and other tail parts)?

I was thinking the same thing (after everything was welded up......) but I ran it for 40 minutes, eng temp got up to 200 deg. the plastics were cold, and the tail light was slightly warm. and its really not THAT loud, it gets a bit loud around 4k rpm than it mellows out. as far as performance goes, i havent dynoed it and dont have a pc, but ill say this: stock in 1st gear going full throttle id get a lil wheelie. now i get a medium wheelie, plus a small wheelie in second so im counting that as a gain... Ill try a sound bite but something tells me it will sound like every other crappy sound bite.....and Chuckster you should definitely give welding a try! this was done with a 90$ welder from harbor freight tools, and my training consisted of watching a bunch of youtube videos and trashing a bunch of scrap metal but its a lot of fun!

• Member Contributer

That was quick and it looks good. Looks like the midpipe I sent worked out great. Now you just need to let us hear it. One tip on the welding though. Flux wire causes a lot of splatter. If your machine has gas ability run argon and non flux standard wire and it will look like you have been welding forever. I have a Miller set up with argon and standard wire and I love it.

Fred, I have to thank you again for the freebie pipe! your right about the extra slag, sadly my welder doesnt accept gas, unfortunately money is an issue at the moment so i had to go cheap : :tour:

• Member Contributer

I think the shorter pipes look good on the bike, so long as the plastics are fine. Maybe you could make a small deflector to deflect the heat away from the plastics. It prolly doesn't have to be anything drastic, just enough to move it away from the plastic. Nice work though. And I like the wheelie as a unit of measure also!

I think they look awsome! With respect to the heat on the tail lenses- perhaps if the exhust opening was opened up longer down the pipe the gasses would dissipate more before getting to them. You have me pondering something similar thanks for posting.

Looks great! Do you think you might get a bit too much heat onto the plastics (rear lights and other tail parts)?

Ill try a sound bite but something tells me it will sound like every other crappy sound bite.....

They look "Great"......... And I agree most sound bites are crap, but I think that's because they reeve them up with no load on the bike.

thanks everyone for the input, as for the tail light heat I will start drawing up some kind heat shield just to be on the safe side! also as requested i have made a crap sound clip :

7c

That sounds really nice...and I'd bet its downright wicked when you reach above 6k :musik20: .

Coming from someone that can't weld at all, they look quite good :)

If you're ever interested in doing the project over, I would actually consider going back to an undertail setup for something like this. I dig it!

I'll be honest and say I expected this to sound like crap. I didn't think there was enough volume to get any kind of a "throaty rumble". I expected it to sound pretty much like a less-raspy straight pipe. I'm amazed at how great it sounds in the video.

Thanks for the comments! I had a chance to do a 2 hour ride today and can report ZERO issues with the rear light, at the end of the ride it was luke warm... also as for sound, i happened to pass a mini van (good for acoustics i guess) in vtec and can report it was 100% bonkers, admittedly a tad loud..... anyway hopefully a video of it in action will be coming soon....

Archived