to all the frankenviffers, this one's mine, VFR750RR

Guest onespeedpaul

minor update, acquired the rest of the replacements for all the broken stuff, (one coil got smashed, the radiator & oil cooler, clutch cover, levers etc)

also got a set of carbs off a recently running bike (mine sat for three years, and a the cost of gaskets/misc parts for the rebuild was the same as these carbs)

a less dented/rusted tank

and a 929 shock for experiments sake (supposedly has the same rate spring vs the 954 having a lighter rate?)

also scored a complete full set of 900rr rearsets for real cheap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just wanted to give a small update.

i gave up on the RC51 rear wheel, the hub area is way too wide on both sides, no real way to get correct chainline and make caliper/rotor work. much easier to just bolt on a 900rr rear wheel that looks identical.

also, playing around with the 900rr and vfr linkages.....more to follow

just wanted to give a small update.

i gave up on the RC51 rear wheel, the hub area is way too wide on both sides, no real way to get correct chainline and make caliper/rotor work. much easier to just bolt on a 900rr rear wheel that looks identical.

also, playing around with the 900rr and vfr linkages.....more to follow

Have you considered an offset front sprocket and/or a different rear hub and/or machining of your RC hub?

How you manage rebuilding an old house, build a garage (maybe that's done by now, I'd hope), and a bike project is beyond me.

I'd be happy if I found time to ride after the house stuff. :ohmy:

Err, good luck. :beer:

More detail on the RC wheel failure is required. I might have the same issues with my 929 rear wheel...

you might. on the RC rear wheel i tried, would have required moving the sprocket/cush drive inboard about 1/2-3/4 inch, as well as making the caliper hanger paper thin on the other side....again, so much easier and cheaper to use the wheel made for the swingarm, and it even looks identical.

Have you considered an offset front sprocket and/or a different rear hub and/or machining of your RC hub?

see above....much easier to just resell RC wheel for same price as 900rr wheel...

How you manage rebuilding an old house, build a garage (maybe that's done by now, I'd hope), and a bike project is beyond me.

I'd be happy if I found time to ride after the house stuff. :ohmy:

Err, good luck. :beer:

well, the house is almost done (we've moved into it anyways, just alot of detail painting left...all the inspections finalize tuesday... the garage was easy, only took about five days, too bad it's FULL now.... and the bikes will all be getting more attention after the holidays...

• Member Contributer

Yeah, make sure the brake caliper hanger is 100% sturdy and alligned...........

brake.jpg

Rear of an Moto Guzzi Ambassador sidecar rig, nice blobs of molten aluminium....

This caused us not to ride the Blue Ridge Park Way but limp home to Maryland..... :sad:

the caliper hanger shouldnt be too thin, the 929 has the same distance opening as the 900rr, 255mm.

unless your trying to use the 900 hanger in place of the 929 hanger....

caliper/hanger/spacers/axle/swingarm, basically everything out back is 900rr except the wheel, which is now also 900rr....

honestly there's no telling if the rc51 stuff is remotely close to the same as 929 stuff, is the 929 wheel 6 inches wide? the rc wheel i have is...the case may be the 929 stuff is closer the 900rr stuff than RC51 stuff

actually, the rc51 caliper hanger looks like it would line up nicely with the 900rr swingarm. im going to pick one up and check it out. will have to be bushed to fit the 20mm axle, but thats no biggie. ive already planned to swap the bearings in the 929 wheel to get me 20mm id.

• 2 weeks later...

yup, haha the RC wheel has been replaced with a 900rr wheel!

the cush drive needed to be moved inboard, as well as the rotor being too far outboard for the 900rr caliper hanger.

you're still using a 900rr swingarm right? if so, if i were you and just wanted a 3 spoke wheel to match the front, a superhawk wheel is 5.5" as well as cross compatible with 900rr (i had a superhawk once that i wanted 6-spoke wheels on and the 900rr rear was a direct swap)

otherwise if you're hell bent on using the RC51 wheel, it's probably the same amount of work to adapt the RC51 swingarm/caliper etc...

• Member Contributer

So with the 900rr swingarm, which left side pivot spacer are you using to center the swingarm? My 600rr swingarm conversion is turning into a pita(linkage), so I think I may go with the 900rr ARM to keep it simple.

the 900rr swingarm is *almost* bolt in.

on the threaded adjuster side (right side as-seated) use the 900rr threaded adjuster or have 12mm removed from the vfr piece (pretty easy to find the threaded piece on ebay, i did anyways) you'll have to cut off some of the thickness of the threaded part of the frame too, doesn't have to be neat, just cut enough off. if you've ever seen a 900rr frame there's even less material than you can cut off.

just to be sure we're talking about the same left and right, you mean chain side or brake side? because i said right side as-seated (which would be the brake side) you don't do anything to the left (chain) side, it lines up perfect.

• Member Contributer

Cool, its amazing to me how when I centered the 600rr swingarm on my project, the chain run was lined up almost perfectly as well. Honda must use the same dimension (sprocket offset from wheel centerline) on quite a few of their bikes. So how does the linkage line up to the dogbone pivot point on the frame?

linkages line up the same using the vfr dogbone and link, i'm about to take off the centerstand and see if the 900rr dogbone and link works and if there's any advantage (like ride height or shock leverage because they are slightly different dimensions, with 900rr dogbone being a little shorter and link plates have one of the holes offest less)

After the dust from the holidays settles some, I'll be removing the centerstand finally and will check into using the 900rr linkages with the 929 shock. also need to have another long look at a 900rr frame nearby to double check the dogbone mounts in the same relative position as the VFR

Archived