to all the frankenviffers, this one's mine, VFR750RR

Guest onespeedpaul

Guest onespeedpaul

So, a month or so back i made a thread posting up some ideas I was milling around in my mind of what i was going to do with my recently acquired and wadded up '95 VFR

At the same time, i'm rebuilding a 100yr old house, and also built a garage out back.

So during a couple lunch breaks i broke the VFR down as much as i could with the limited hand tools i have available (my home-goods get delivered in a month, YAY!) and started doing a little mockup to keep me inspired while i finish up my house.

vfrcbr.jpg

basically i got the old bent forks off, swapped on the 929 forks, rigged up the wheel to sit on until the new bearings come in, then removed the subframe and mocked up the CBR piece.

still have a long ways to go, like mounting the subframe for real, swapping out the swingarm and shock (929 shock/900rr swinger) making the bodywork fit properly, making a new midpipe, replacing the radiator and side cover and on and on and on...

anyways, hope you guys like what i've got so far....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lets see a pic of the rd400 !!!! Project looks like its off to a good start :fing02:

the RD is in storage with the rest of our home-goods, and it stalled about 6 months ago when we found out we were moving and i need to make about half dozen various spacers to finish it up. pics here: http://www.2strokewo...hp?topic=9106.0

Looks neat so far!

Looks good!

THANKS!

Looks like a great project! CBR1000RR plastics?

yup, best looking japanese plastics in decades i would argue. too bad the newest RR wasn't a V4 aprilia-killer.

Awesome, i'm just starting my own project. I didn't realise you could use the vfr front wheel with the 929 axle, could you give me the sizes. Would love to see pics as you progress.

Awesome, i'm just starting my own project. I didn't realise you could use the vfr front wheel with the 929 axle, could you give me the sizes. Would love to see pics as you progress.

the VFR wheel can work, you just need to get new bearings and center spacer. both the wheels i'm using are from an RC51, if i had known better (that the wheel on the VFR was still pretty straight despite the bent forks) i would have just gotten the correct bearings for it and a plain 900rr rear wheel and saved myself a little trouble. the RC51 wheels i got were a pretty good deal tho and complete so a i can't complain.

what bearings work with the 929 axle and vfr wheel? i couldnt find any during my brief search. id rather use what i have than buy rc51 wheels, but the rotor spacer is kind of a plan killer.

I stand corrected on the RC rim Vs VFR/F3, the OD of the RC bearings is same as 929/954, VFR/F3 OD is smaller by at least 3-4mm, so it's not as easy as just swapping bearings, but that doesn't mean it can't work. you could turn the axle down a few mm's and run a more compatible bearing, or have a custom axle made to use the VFR bearings.

not sure what fork/wheel/brake rotor combo you're using flyguy, but the RC rotors are a match for the complete 954 front end i've put on.

So really, one could get an rc wheel and use the 929 axle with 929 bearings then, correct? just hafta make a new center spacer or use the 929 spacer if its the right length. I have 929 rotors.

So really, one could get an rc wheel and use the 929 axle with 929 bearings then, correct? just hafta make a new center spacer or use the 929 spacer if its the right length. I have 929 rotors.

that is correct! 929 rotors bolt on the RC rim too.

the 929/954 wheel bearings are 6005's... the standard vfr are 6004's.. Easy swap!

The 929 axle is larger in diameter, the 6005's account for this.

The brake discs are not a direct fitment..

spacers for the discs will need fabricating, large job. As will new wheel spacers.

In my case it was anyway!

Easy alternatives will be.. Any modern blade front wheel 2002 onwards, should work with no adjustments/spacers needed as they are all the larger inner diameter type. much lighter too, less bolts especially ...

REALLY. hmm. i might go forward with my plans anyway then. at least that takes SOME of the work out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a little bit to report since the last visit, the swingarm and suspension went on with ease, mocked up the fr/rr subframes and bodywork better.

on the swingarm, as reported earlier, some material needs removed form the frame, doesn't even need to be very accurate, and then either the swingarm bearing bolt from a 900rr, or modify the vfr one (shorten it substantially, and accurately faced since it holds contact) and voila!

still need to make a new clevis for the shock, pipe the headers thru the swingarm, make a mid-pipe, make actual rear subframe and bodywork mounts.

should be one nice little riding VFR.

also, for the record, the 900rr rear swinger/caliper/rc51 wheel is 19.5lbs lighter than the VFR swingarm/wheel/caliper. add in the lost weight of fiberglass bodywork vs. stock, lightweight race can vs. stock, and 1000rr aluminum subframe/light seat vs. stock, lighter RC51 front wheel, slightly lighter 954 forks/triples, 520 chain conversion and i would bet all day long this thing is at least 100 lbs lighter.

1025111629-00.jpg

Archived