Dead stator?

Rice

• Member Contributer

Just looking for reinforcement here and some advise.

My dash light indicated to me that something's amiss the other day by going off in the middle of a ride.

So, I charged the battery and started the bike.

Measuring voltage across the bat. terminals at idle indicates slow voltage drop and no gain, going from 12+V into 11V territory as the bike idles.

Checked voltage across the three yellow wires coming from the stator (RR unplugged, bike running). ZERO. Between all three wires there is zero voltage. So, before I ask the next question, it IS the stator, right?

Been checking DC voltage... :wacko:

Readings:

StatorReadings.jpg

Next steps:

1 - Buy a new stator. Question - Where? Which one?

2 - Anything else I should buy, like gaskets, etc...

3 - Will the oil leak out when I open the stator cover or will it be a few drops?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I do solemnly swear to stop smirking every time I see another electrical thread. Going forward. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Your stator voltage output seems lower than would be expected (should be 60+?). Also, I would expect the same output between all wiring combinations when testing (your results of 32 vs. 42?)

Chuck

Just looking for reinforcement here and some advise.

My dash light indicated to me that something's amiss the other day by going off in the middle of a ride.

So, I charged the battery and started the bike.

Measuring voltage across the bat. terminals at idle indicates slow voltage drop and no gain, going from 12+V into 11V territory as the bike idles.

Checked voltage across the three yellow wires coming from the stator (RR unplugged, bike running). ZERO. Between all three wires there is zero voltage. So, before I ask the next question, it IS the stator, right?

Been checking DC voltage... :wacko:

Readings:

StatorReadings.jpg

Next steps:

1 - Buy a new stator. Question - Where? Which one?

2 - Anything else I should buy, like gaskets, etc...

3 - Will the oil leak out when I open the stator cover or will it be a few drops?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and I do solemnly swear to stop smirking every time I see another electrical thread. Going forward. :laugh:

Stator is fried, how many miles on your 06?

OEM are the best, longevity wise, yeah they will fail well over 50,000 mile average, but still alot better than Aftermarket, which typically never see that much.

Once the stator is repaired, you then have to test out your RR, but 6th gen RR's rarely fail, its a good product.

• Member Contributer

OEM stator it is.

Thanks a bunch gents!

Do I need to buy a new gasket and drain oil to change it out?

P.S. About 35K on the bike.

• Member Contributer

Hey Rice, I just did this on my 2004...get a new gasket and you will need some gasket in a tube to seal just the two small areas where the crakcase halves mate. Oil loss is almost none...I mean just a couple of drips, so no worries there. You will need some patience to scrape off the old gasket if it is cooked on to the cover the way mine was...used gasket remover and a utility razor blade (carefully). Maybe someone else will chime in where I might have made it more difficult than it needed to be. I'm a self-proclaimed mechanical pygmy.

I went with the OEM stator btw...

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the advise, doc.

Just looked up stator and gasket on Bike Bandit. $237 for the stator??? That bites. Anyone know a cheaper source?

For an OEM stator call Keith at Mason City Honda. Tell him you are from VFRD.

Aftermarket stator are wound differently than OEM btw...that is why they perform differently. I can never keep them straight, but one is WYE wound and the other is DELTA wound.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the advise, doc.

Just looked up stator and gasket on Bike Bandit. $237 for the stator??? That bites. Anyone know a cheaper source?

Ron Ayers.com for sure Rice...they are time and time again the cheapest I find for OEM parts. Shipping should be pretty quick to you. I looked and in June I paid $195 for the stator and $121 for the R/R, $10.23 for the gasket.

• Member Contributer

Find Custom Rewind in Alabama. $100 shipped and mine works wonderfully.

Did you have to wait for yours to be reconditioned or did they just require you to send your old one in exchange?

• Member Contributer

Here is what I have so far:

Gasket | Stator

Bike Bandit | 13.47 | 237.95

Ron Ayers | 10.23 | 194.11

Service Honda | 10.52 | 182.34

Mason City H. Keith is off. Will update tomorrow.

• Member Contributer

Shipping cost may be your determining factor if you opt for an OEM part instead of the rewind...

• Member Contributer
Did you have to wait for yours to be reconditioned or did they just require you to send your old one in exchange?

I had Gary recondition mine.

• Member Contributer

I had Gary recondition mine.

Thanks, that's great to know.

OEM stator it is.

Thanks a bunch gents!

Do I need to buy a new gasket and drain oil to change it out?

P.S. About 35K on the bike.

Early failure, what kind of oil was ran in the bike the majority of the time , any wiring damage, corroded or burnt contacts ect, ever on the bike?

Yeah you want a gasket, Id probably just change the oil verses fiquring out how much too readd. But should be less than a quart.

Unless some corrosive material was in the oil, the oil type should have very little to do with a failure.

It depends if a certain oils cleaning ability is so strong it weakens the epoxy. I want that info for research, to rule out.

There are numberous additional reasons though

How well the stator left the factory, heat and vibration subjected to, ect.

Archived