Boots: waterproof or not?

2thdr

• Member Contributer

Getting ready to do on an epic ride with some of the fine members here over in Arkansas next weekend, and let me tell you, I am so excited to get to meet some folks, put faces with names, and ride some great twisties with like-minded riders. I have over the years accumulated gear that I have been comfortable with, but for touring I usually have ridden my ST1300 and have worn touring type waterproof boots if the weather was looking wet. I don't know what the forecast is yet, but I want to be prepared and not be whining about wet feet. That being said, I like SIDI boots the best for my narrow feet. I have a pair of Streetburners and some Alpinestars vented sport boots that I wear on the track. I'm thinking for this trip I better have a pair of more suitable boots if we by chance get wet. I have been looking at the SIDI Cobras and the Vertigos. My question is would a non-waterproof boot work for minor amounts of wet riding or should I bite the bullet and get some that are waterproof. My only concern about the waterproof ones is that I tend to have hot feet and enclosing them in waterproofing will compound that. I like the Idea of the Vertigos (non-waterproof) that have a closeable vent on the side, but worry about the wet.

• Member Contributer

I've talked to a few reps at the motorcycle show. They all basically said that their 'waterproof' boots are really only good for a few hours (2-4) of decent rain before they give in. Which is better than normal boots, which are soaked in 30 minutes or less.

If you don't have an alternative to keeping your feet dry, like plastic bags or an overboot or other item and you had the cash, I'd go for it, especially since you already have normal boots for warm weather. Nothing really beats putting your feet back in dry boots.

My boots (Diadora) are not labeled as being waterproof but by regularly applying a wax coat, they've kept my feet dry even after riding through massive downpoors. Well at least they did until recently on a trip one of them developed a tear and water got in. Luckily I had some aterproof socks with me that worked great. I don't know what brand tehy are but I know these sealskinz are very good.

• Member Contributer

Gone are the days of plastic shopping bags and duct tape...... :tongue:

As said, look for Goretex liner and you are good to go.

One can never have too much gear.....

I can only comment on my gear. I have ridden in driving rain in my Tourmaster Transitions gear and my Alpine Star Roam boots ( I call them my moon boots.) and my feet have stayed completely dry. As long as you have good gear covering the tops of the boots you will have no problems.

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of waterproof boot covers, basically raincoats for your boots. $18.95 at my local dealership, small light weight, roll up and fit in one of the little side pockets of my tank bag and they work as advertised.

Just rode from Nashville to Memphis, 200mi+, on my Gen 4 in my perforated and vented Sidi racing boots. Didn't get a drop of water until the rain and traffic was so bad that I could no longer see. duct taped the vents for the ride back to Ohio (as I'll do for cooler weather) and never got a drop.

Normally I'll take the "Totes" option.

• Member Contributer

Just make sure your rain pants cover them whatever you buy... Mine are Goretex but being 6foot4 its hard to get a long legged rain pant, so they don't go low enough on my boot and the water runs down the back of my leg in to the top of my riding boot :sad:

The Goretex keeps the whole foot dry, but doesn't do a thing to stop water from running into them from the top :huh:

• Member Contributer

I've got the old Sidi Strada waterproof boots, after SportRider magazine did their bathtub test and found them the only boot that completely passed the 24 hour dunk test. Almost seven years now, completely satisfied, never even the smallest leak. And I've never found them hot even in my 100 degree summers. And they've been crash tested on the track and did very well. If the new Cobras are anything close you'll be completely satisfied. :fing02:

Archived