Frankenfilter...........It breathes.

coderighter

• Member Contributer

gallery_15527_5863_1547207.jpg

Franken Filter

So.... you get a K&N #33-2700. I got my from Auto Advance, $43.99 - 20%=$35.20 (they're almost always having a 20% off sale online). If you spend $75, free shipping, so I topped off my oil filter collection. Auto Advance has no stores in the great state of Washington, so no sales tax. The filter is pretty much the exact width and 1/2" short.

First I gutted the paper out of the factory filter.

Then sanded the sides down to a height of 1/4".

.gallery_15527_5863_1198530.jpg

DSCN1502

I added these wooden 'bridges' that I got at Wally World for a $1.49, they're 1/4" square.

gallery_15527_5863_525643.jpg

DSCN1501

Trimmed the filter edges to match the opening. I used heavy duty scissors. You'll also have to sand about 1/32" off each of side rails on the gutted frame for the filter to drop in. Don't force the filter in or you'll distort the filter frame.

gallery_15527_5863_3709318.jpg

DSCN1500

gallery_15527_5863_673263.jpg

DSCN1499

I glued the filter to the frame using Loc-tite 2 part plastic super glue.

Sealed everything up with RVT (high temp only because it's black).

gallery_15527_5863_317810.jpg

DSCN1504

My Autotune is now asking for +9% at 100% throttle at 10k, but needs more road time to get the full picture. It feels stronger.

Notes:

I wouldn't do this with out a Power Commander to add more fuel.

If you're using a O2 sensor (Autotune), make sure all you're glues/sealants are sensor safe

Edited by HispanicSlammer
moved photo to the top for feature
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

I'll bite. Is there a reason you didn't want to use a HA-8098 K&N in your bike? It appears from your sig you are riding a 6th gen.

If you look at the K&N filter for 6th (and 5th) gen VFR you'll notice that the actual filter size is much smaller than the factory filter. The K&N has about half the surface area of the factory filter. K&N knows that because the bike doesn't have an airflow meter it has no way of accounting for any extra air flow. K&N makes their filter flow the same as stock so as not to disturb (further) the air/fuel ratio. Since K&N's filter medium flows more than the factory paper filter, they simply made the filter area smaller to even things out. Which means, by design, the K&N filter buys you no performance gain, zip, zero, nota. However, it's the last filter you have to buy because you can wash and re-oil it.

gallery_15527_5863_95205.png

K&N Filter

I also don't like K&N's design for the VFR. By making the element smaller, it's now centered over the rear throttle bores while the tops of the front bores are covered with plastic. On the factory filter, the element protrudes up into the air box cover. The K&N element protrudes down into the airbox. These two things would make me believe the front cylinders would have a harder time getting air and would be rather rich compared to the rears.

Beside, Frankenfilter was almost half the price and you get that factory fit.

• Member Contributer

^^^^ Which is why I purchased a BMC filter. That filter covers near all the available area in the plastic mount holder.

- Admittedly, the frankenfilter is a tick larger, but not by much.

I had bought the K&N at first and nearly barfed when I first saw it. I sold it to somebody else.

• Member Contributer

^^^^ Which is why I purchased a BMC filter. That filter covers near all the available area in the plastic mount holder.

I had bought the K&N at first and nearly barfed when I first saw it. I sold it to somebody else.

I actually had BMC and I didn't like the way it was just a standard panel filter snapped into a frame. That would be so bad but it was even a very tight fit and would leak 'dirt' no problem. I also didn't like that it also had the element protruding into the air box instead of the lid. The frame of the panel comes within about an inch of the front stacks and I felt it would not allow the correct amount of air to maintain the balance front to rear. Frankenfilter protrudes up the same height as factory and is level on the bottom just like the factory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'll bite. Is there a reason you didn't want to use a HA-8098 K&N in your bike? It appears from your sig you are riding a 6th gen.

That filter is about 25% smaller !!!!!!!

• Member Contributer

+1 ME TOO !!!!!!!!!! I GONNA TRY THIS. I HAVE A BMC BUT NOT HAPPY WITH IT .

• Member Contributer

Order the filter on 5/04/11 its coming from Riverside CA UPS be here TODAY !!!!!!!!!!

If it had been shipped from Atlanta or Nashville or Louisville it would have taken 4 or 5 days.

Go Figure.

• Member Contributer

Could you post your power commander map and a list of current modifications when your autotune settles down. Please!

It could be a big help for people with Power Commander iii.

• Member Contributer

Could you post your power commander map and a list of current modifications when your autotune settles down. Please!

It could be a big help for people with Power Commander iii.

Sure, if it stops raining here!

• Member Contributer

Mine is in and a lot better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did my instrutions make it pretty easy or was there something else I should have added?

• Member Contributer

Mine is in and a lot better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did my instrutions make it pretty easy or was there something else I should have added?

Yeah a lot of help.

Like it more and more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest rid34fun

Hi All,

I am new to this great site and just picked up a great used 1999 VFR. I love the cheap auto filter conversion. What model number is that auto filter? I want to do this mod very soon. I like the better filtration of paper vs. K&N. I am not really a fan of K&N. I have used them for years, but always noticed a lot more dirt got through the filter and no real performance gain.

Thanks! I enjoy the healthy debates and great insight that you all provide. It makes riding a VFR that much richer!

• Member Contributer

For those that don't like cotton gaze and would rather go paper-

K&N 33-2700 fits the following:

1988-1998 SUZUKI VITARA 1.6L L4 F/I - 257MM x 206MM

1989-1995 SUZUKI SIDEKICK 1.6L L4 TBI - All

1989-1995 GEO TRACKER 1.6L L4 TBI - VIN U

I'm guessing since K&N filter are usaully not as thick, make sure the paper filter you find is less than an inch thick.

(Ironic that it's a filter for a Suzuki)

• Member Contributer

My K&N came with a very flexible rubberized frame. Did anyone else's come that way?

• Member Contributer

My K&N came with a very flexible rubberized frame. Did anyone else's come that way?

Or you taking about K&N 33-2700?

• Member Contributer

Interested to find out about seat of the pants power increases once you get the fuel map set up right. I'd love to get a little more grunt out of my 5th gen. especially after I started riding a CBR954 as my second bike. Now everytime I get on the VFR I curse Honda for not just making a 1000cc version of the 6th gen with some suspension and brake modifications.

• Member Contributer

Or you taking about K&N 33-2700?

No. I'm referring to K&N HA8098.