If you were to do luggage on a budget...

Guest dirtriderx99

Guest dirtriderx99

I'm planning on doing a 4 week trip on my VFR and I'm looking into luggage right now. Is hard luggage the way to go? What is an affordable set up? I'm thinking side cases/bags, trunk case/bag and probably a tank bag.

• Member Contributer

I'd get some soft side bags from new enough's clearance section then look for a bag to go on top of the rear seat.

I have givi v35 hard bags but when I really need to take alot of stuff I throw a north face base camp duffle bag (size large) across the rear seat and strap it down with bungie cords. That bag holds alot of stuff, is bomb proof, and pretty much rain proof unless you're riding through a south east asian monsoon. That set up plus an expandable tank bag means I usually end up taking too much stuff.

• Member Contributer

The other nice thing about the north face base camp duffel is that it comes with shoulder straps so I can carry it like a backpack and carry one of the v35 side cases in each hand.

I'm planning on doing a 4 week trip on my VFR and I'm looking into luggage right now. Is hard luggage the way to go? What is an affordable set up? I'm thinking side cases/bags, truck case/bag and probably a tank bag.

Hi and Welcome!!

Check out twistedthrottle.com and look under what fits my bike and scroll untill you find the Bags Connection SPEEDPACK, best bang for the buck in my opinion

and if you are tent camping at all they also have a tent bag that connects to it though you wont be able to go two up with this system. It is by far the best luggage I've had

and I've had a few. Givi hard luggage and chase harper and frank thomas soft saddle bags to name a few. I've since sold my speedpack with another bike and now

have to get another for the 5th gen I still have. And I will be ordering it shortly as spring is soon to be here in the PNW.

Others here will have opinions and suggestions you should always consider, Great people here and everyone helps to solve problems..

Good luck!!!

• Member Contributer

I would try to get some hard side cases for a reasonable price. Then, when you do throw a giant duffle bag on the rear seat, the ends won't push the bags down somewhere you may not want them to go. Plus, side bags are going to get hit with a lot of rain from the wheels, and the soft bags I tried have been hit or miss with staying dry in the rain.

google "homemade luggae" for some good examples.

I picked these up for 10 bucks at a flea market. I will use them on mt survival bike.

Image0013.jpg

Image0012.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think you need to define "affordable" else you are going to get many different ideas based on what everyone else thinks they can afford. :491:

Ideally, I would say hard bags but even with a good deal you are easily looking at $600-$1200 depending on how far you go (used side bags to new side and top cases). YoshiHNS hit the nail on the head of hard versus soft luggage.

Of course if you are looking under $250 then you can get a complete soft luggage set that will do just fine with something from Nelson-Riggs. I have my old set installed on my wife's motorcycle that has an attachable duffel bag (that they no longer make), comes with rain covers and a foam pad that protects the wheel side of the bags (as well as the paint) and is quite roomy. Keep in mind though I have a set of brackets on the bike though to keep the soft bags out of the wheel well.

I'm planning on doing a 4 week trip on my VFR and I'm looking into luggage right now. Is hard luggage the way to go? What is an affordable set up? I'm thinking side cases/bags, trunk case/bag and probably a tank bag.

I've used the Cortech saddlebag/tailbag combo since '04 and have been real pleased. Plenty of room, rain covers, attaches/detaches quickly and cost me less than $130.

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone for the welcomes and replies. I was imagining getting my luggage done for $300 or so.

If you don't already have a rack, you can almost toss out hard luggage as an option then. Might be able to get a ventura rack to increase some storage space.

• Member Contributer

My "long" trips usually run about 14 days and if anybody is budget minded, it's me. I went with an expandable tank bag, soft saddle bags, and a hard trunk for things that absolutely must stay secure and dry. Truth be told, my trunk is usually almost empty. I use it most for a place to leave my boots and my helmet when I swap out for tennis shoes if I plan on doing some walking. I run a short bicycle cable though my jacket and pant leg and just leave that on the seat attached to the bike. I keep my BIG atlas in there too and fill the rest with souveniers from along the way. I also pack like a true obsessive/compulsive nut case. I have full changes of clothes, each in a plastic grocery bag, and all inside another plastic bag to keep dry just in case of rain. Each time I need to change clothes, I just grab ONE bag and I have everything I need. The dirty clothes go into the empty grocery bag and that goes to the opposite side saddle bag. Check out my gallery for the luggage pics.

Lots of used items on sites like this one, st-n or advrider, if you want to really save $$.

Back in late '98 or early '99 I bought some used RKA saddle bags for $100 and still use them to this day. Found a good deal on an RKA tank bag as well through st-n.

As already mentioned, the Ventura rack is a good option, one which I also use. That's what I use to secure my Motofizz bag when carrying camping gear.

Waterproof duffles and stuff sacks, with secure tie downs, are also a very good option. I've got a couple.

Never had hard luggage, but can see the benefits easily. Just haven't sprung for them yet.

• Member Contributer

$300 should be enough to get you a full set to include tank, tail and saddelbags.

I have been using Cortech bags for years quite successfully. They work but with a few compromises.

med_gallery_2144_2760_205377.jpg

See my Cortech review here.

This summer I am taking a long tour on my VFR and examining hardbags myself.

Speaking of cheap luggage - What are my options for a top case mount? I was able to fab my own mount for a Whitney top case but it covers part of pillion, which is ideal for 1 up. With kids the wife and I are only able to sneak away once or twice a year, so I can't justify spending big bucks on a Givi mount. My wife planned a weekend getaway for May and I would like to get the top case rigged up by then.

post-21350-0-99614300-1302544346_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

Nelson Rigg used CL135 expandable tail bag - ebay $45

Nelson Rigg used expandable saddlebags - ebay $55. Can't remember the name of these things but they are an older model and are HUGE! when expanded.

Closeout tankbag from Newenough, I think it's about 17L - $20.

Dirt cheap an all in virtually new condition.

If I fill this lot w/ gear then I'm gone for a month, or taking too much w/ me.

You might try Craigslist too.

• Member Contributer

I'd get some soft side bags from new enough's clearance section then look for a bag to go on top of the rear seat.

I have givi v35 hard bags but when I really need to take alot of stuff I throw a north face base camp duffle bag (size large) across the rear seat and strap it down with bungie cords. That bag holds alot of stuff, is bomb proof, and pretty much rain proof unless you're riding through a south east asian monsoon. That set up plus an expandable tank bag means I usually end up taking too much stuff.

This is exactly the setup I use. Line the duffle with XL garbage bags. Go ride.

gallery_17070_4873_1527422.jpg

Teton.JPG

Glenn

I'm thinking the hard cases may be a worthwhile investment. I would think I could sell the set up before I sold the bike (God forbid) and recoup a good portion of my money.

Archived