Removing GenMar risers

skymon

Question

• Member Contributer

I bought my 5th gen with GenMar risers on it. I want to check out the stock bar position. Looks like if I remove the risers, I'll need to replace the "51405-MB4-003 ring/stoppers". (I don't have them.) Are these just regular snap rings? Best source to get them?

11 answers to this question

[quote name='skymon' timestamp='1299427346' post='764398']
I bought my 5th gen with GenMar risers on it. I want to check out the stock bar position. Looks like if I remove the risers, I'll need to replace the "51405-MB4-003 ring/stoppers". (I don't have them.) Are these just regular snap rings? Best source to get them?
[/quote]
You can go to links at the top of the page. Here is one I pulled from there.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?app=links&gotolink=1080

• Member Contributer

They are not exactly snap rings; they are simple rings of wire that fit into the groove in the fork tube and the corresponding groove in the clip-on. (The seem rather expensive from Honda!) I'm sure many, many of them have been lost over the years without anyone bothering to replace them. I've bought several sets of eBay 41mm forks, so I'm sure I've got some extra somewhere, but I'm not sure where that is at the moment...

Ciao,

You Don't need them as they serve no real purpose unless you forget to tighten the pinch bolt, but you couldn't ride the bike if you did anyway! :blush:

I've not run them on any bike and have more than 100k miles on VFR's alone. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Did you decide to keep the Genmar risers off? I may be looking for a set...

• Member Contributer

Let me know what you want for them, if you are okay with a loaner program. :) I'll need to source stock bars to go with them.

• Member Contributer

Did you decide to keep the Genmar risers off? I may be looking for a set...

I have a set sitting around here somewhere

Let me know what you want for them, if you are okay with a loaner program. :) I'll need to source stock bars to go with them.

:excl:

It looks like one of you has a 1999 and one has a 2002.

Were the fork tubes the same size in those years?

• Member Contributer

Well, I know less than nothing. The Genmar site says that p/n H117 is for 1998-current, but then shows p/n H112 for 2002-2007. I can verify that my 1999 forks tubes are 41mm.

• Member Contributer

Well, I know less than nothing. The Genmar site says that p/n H117 is for 1998-current, but then shows p/n H112 for 2002-2007. I can verify that my 1999 forks tubes are 41mm.

I think the 2002 fork tubes are 43mm.

You might e-mail Genmar and ask about the catalog information discrepancy.

Archived