Got my new Moty battery yesterday.....

Luvmyvfr

• Member Contributer

gallery_14545_4425_1094882.jpg

Well last night when I got home, my Moty battery had arrived, and today, even though my battery is still working ok, I couldn't help but put it in!!

The weight alone earns a cigar!! My old Yuasa weighed in at 7 pounds 15 ounces, the new Moty weighed 1pound 7 ounces (ok, 6.8 ounces).

Not really that difficult to make it work, I do have to say that my only gripe is that I wish that the terminals were the same as the old one....they are on the wrong side....maybe the next group can be reversed....that would make it a smidge easier....otherwise, like I said pretty easy to do!

I did have to take a pliers and bend up the little tabs on the terminal connectors, otherwise they wanted to dig into the battery.

gallery_14545_4425_408886.jpg

IMG_2494.JPG

I used a little extra foam underneath to boost it up a little. The positive terminal wire seems to keep it pulled back in place, whereas I drilled 2 little holes in the side of the plastic tray and then safety wired the neg. terminal to the side tray....

As you can see that there is some gained space, not much, but for sure more than there was.....enough for a wallet, or what ever! The other wires in there are for my Gerbings, and my accessory plug in outlet.

gallery_14545_4425_1761115.jpg

IMG_2495.JPG

gallery_14545_4425_1366364.jpg

IMG_2496.JPG

I'm sure that I'll mess with a few other ways in the future to secure it better, or find a way to relocate the whole thing to the other side, and then I'll really have some extra space!!

Oh, and it does fire right up! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Just a thought - you might go ahead a clip off the old tabs on the harness to avoid the possibiltiy of them digging into the battery plastic cover. Maybe even filing burrs & edges clean. That wouldnt be pretty....

• Member Contributer

Just a thought - you might go ahead a clip off the old tabs on the harness to avoid the possibiltiy of them digging into the battery plastic cover. Maybe even filing burrs & edges clean. That wouldnt be pretty....

Yeah, I almost did, but I figured I'd see how this battery holds up...if it does, I will. I just figured that if I ever went back to a reg old heavy battery they might come in handy!

In the instructions, they say to add a quick disconnect, but I'm impatient and wanted to do this now....I think that I will eventually try to relocate it to the other side(plenty of room) that when I'll add the disconnect.

Someday I'm going to have the recall done :pinocchio: They have had a whole new harness for me since 08!! As you might have noticed, the started relay has seen better days, but is working fine!

I was thinking about getting one of these batteries, and using the extra space to install my Blue Sea fuse block. Do you think there is enough space for something like that? Another though was putting a DynoJet PC3 in there.

Cheers

Ben

• Member Contributer

... or find a way to relocate the whole thing to the other side, and then I'll really have some extra space!!

hmmm... interesting concept, make the whole battery compartment available. :lurk:

• Member Contributer

Both mine were here waiting for me when I got home. So I put 'em in!

One in the Pacific Coast, cause it gets the most use.

The other went in the RC, cause the VFR still ain't ready.

I got mine yesterday and although I don't need it quite yet, I'm doing my best to kill my current one. :blush:

I was messing with the speedohealer Monday and had the key on. I didn't think about it at first, but after about 10 minutes realized the headlights were on and the voltmeter was dropping to about 9V. Hit the button and it wouldn't start. Had to put it on the Battery Tender for a while. It came back, but if I keep doing crap like that, I'll have the MOTY battery in there in no time. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

I was thinking about getting one of these batteries, and using the extra space to install my Blue Sea fuse block. Do you think there is enough space for something like that? Another though was putting a DynoJet PC3 in there.

Cheers

Ben

Yeah there should be, for sure on the power commander! Probably the fuze block too! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

... or find a way to relocate the whole thing to the other side, and then I'll really have some extra space!!

hmmm... interesting concept, make the whole battery compartment available. :lurk:

Oh yeah, once I get that sorted out, I'll post some pics, first I need to get some riding time!! :wheel:

Cheers

Ben

Yeah there should be, for sure on the power commander! Probably the fuze block too! :fing02:

Great, thanks

• Member Contributer

Seems like the perfect spot to relocate the extra fuse block and relay.

My oem lasted 10 years and I pulled as a preventative measure last year. When my current one dies, I'll be upgrading to something like this and relocate my fuse box.

Awesome!

• Member Contributer

Seems like the perfect spot to relocate the extra fuse block and relay.

My oem lasted 10 years and I pulled as a preventative measure last year. When my current one dies, I'll be upgrading to something like this and relocate my fuse box.

Awesome!

Soooo... 2020? :biggrin:

Hopefully these cells will be much cheaper by then. Probably even out dated! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Arturo Fuente!!! oh yeah! They have been a staple of mine for the last 14 years..... I cut my teeth on them!

Other favs are Hoyos and CAO's (Brazila's ).....not to hijack my own thread but, I found these at my local smoke shop...very good, and inexpensive! http://www.cigaraficionado.com/cigars/top25detail/year/2010/rank/15

When I put mine in I used the extra space in the battery compartment to store the extra long leads for my heated gear. worked great! a PCIII would probably fit too, but I'm not sure about the fuse block...

• Member Contributer

I don't want to 'jack your thread, but you might want to take a look at that starter relay plug. It looks like it could use a VFRness. Highly recommended.

• Member Contributer

Besides the weight and size any other advantages...............how about longevity?

5 days and counting :goofy:

But I will get to ride to work tomorow!! :wheel: So I'm hoping it gets me home. Morning weather is suppose to be about 22 F. and maybe 40 on the way home, so the heated gear will be going on full! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I don't want to 'jack your thread, but you might want to take a look at that starter relay plug. It looks like it could use a VFRness. Highly recommended.

I've been waiting for someone to comment on that, yeah it's been through the wringer....but is currently very ugly, but sound. Maybe this year I'll get the recall done and I'll get a new one! I do also have one of Tightwads VFRnesses hanging on my pegboard waiting for an install! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Besides the weight and size any other advantages...............how about longevity?

5 days and counting :goofy:

But I will get to ride to work tomorow!! :wheel: So I'm hoping it gets me home. Morning weather is suppose to be about 22 F. and maybe 40 on the way home, so the heated gear will be going on full! :fing02:

Yea I worry about that...............just had my stuff on full time on tour but with the big bike and big battery.

2594239520099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

The cigars look great but right now I need a battery, it's winter so that means my battery is dead/dying... :computer-noworky:

I see the MOTY batteries are $160 through the website, but they look like they come with the quick disconnect. What was the price on the group buy and did they have the quick disconnect?

I'm sick of paying $60, $80 or $125 every winter or 15 months for a new battery...ready to try something new.

• Member Contributer

The cigars look great but right now I need a battery, it's winter so that means my battery is dead/dying... :computer-noworky:

I see the MOTY batteries are $160 through the website, but they look like they come with the quick disconnect. What was the price on the group buy and did they have the quick disconnect?

I'm sick of paying $60, $80 or $125 every winter or 15 months for a new battery...ready to try something new.

The group buy price was $135....and no it didn't come with the quick disconnect.....

My yuasa lasted for 5+ years, it was still working when I did this swap....just not sure how much life it has left in it!

• Member Contributer

I think I may have been the first - paid full price and have the quick connect. I like it - on/off the bike 15 seconds, no tools.

• Member Contributer

The group buy price was $135....and no it didn't come with the quick disconnect.....

My yuasa lasted for 5+ years, it was still working when I did this swap....just not sure how much life it has left in it!

Well, Walmart agreed to replace my 15 month old battery out at no charge under "warranty" so the Moty battery will have to wait until next winter... :491:

Archived