Exhaust wrap

hotshoerob

• Member Contributer

This may have been covered before, but one thing that really bugs me on my '00 is having my right leg cooked from the exhaust heat. So are there any issues with cleaning up the header pipes and wrapping them with exhaust wrap to get the heat away ?

Rob

Just make sure you don't get the kind that holds moisture and you should be okay.

+1.gif+1.gif

Yup exhaust wrap had been know to literally destroy the pipes under them because of this, but I had felt the difference that it makes. from a friend's bike. I couldn't beleive how much it does get rid of hot spots on a bike.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

You can send your headers out to be ceramic coated inside and out. Indy Powder Coating can do them both for about $140. Just having the inside done will help with about a 25% reduction in heat transfer.

• Member Contributer

Having done the deed....

- Drop the header off the bike. When you do this you will need new gaskets for the head attachment.

- Sand off the obvious bad areas and rusty junk with rough sand paper or a sanding spong works good.

- Coat the "cleaned" up header with this stuff ---- http://www.thermotec.com/products/12001-hi-heat-coating.html

- An alternate may be the "jet hot" coating approach, but I dont have experience with it.

- The coating air dries but optimum would be to bake it a about 350 degrees.

- Themotec has a wide variaty of wraps to use. -- I think I used this stuff --- http://www.thermotec.com/products/11021-exhaust-insulating-header-wrap-graphite-black.html

- I thought the clips I bought from thermo tec were junk - I just hauled down to AutoZone and bought a bunch of radiator clamps.

- The wrap is supposed to be damp when you wrap it around the pipes, I found the easiest way was to lay out a strip on the floor and hand spray water on it with a left over spray bottle.

- Once you have the thing all wrapped up, you need to let completely dry out for a couple days, warm and indoors prefered.

- Once the wrap is dry, you have to go another round with the super coating stuff ---- http://www.thermotec.com/products/12001-hi-heat-coating.html

- Do a few light coats and let dry, and then go for a nasty heavy coat with the stuff and maybe 2. - I wouldnt do the wrap thing without the coating step.

- If you can do another oven bake, (maybe a powder coat guy would have one?) you will be ahead of the game.

- When you get it reassembled on the bike, it will first smoke to high heaven. I did quite a few, start up, warm up, shut down, wait 20 minute cycles.

- When you have had enuff of that and get on the road, its still gonna stink. I just takes time for it to go to a final cure. Jeez, I did mine 4 years ago and once in a while I still get a whiff.

Well thats the poop. I'm not saying this is the optimum, but just my experience. -- Some here will throw out concerns of pipe rusting early or metal fatique on the header material. That is totally possible, but if it happens, just replace the pipe. If it happens to me, I'm fine with it.

-So far so good, I like it.

Good luck

Exhaust wrap doesnt make the pipe cooler. It contains the heat and the heat is higher. Adding moisture and higher temps will lead to corrosion. IMO.

I guess they make a water resistent type.

• Member Contributer

Hi and welcome to VFRD!

I've never had this issue on my 00, but are you wearing riding boots or what? :blush:

BR

I wear a 11" high boot (atgatt), but above the top it can get uncomfortable. This is when the outside temps get into the 80's otherwise it's not too bad.

@mello dude, Thanks for your full run down. Much appreciated!

Maybe if I just wrapped the top pipes of the rear cylinders that would good enough? That's were the heat issue is coming from.

@sa1713 said "You can send your headers out to be ceramic coated inside and out. Indy Powder Coating can do them both for about $140. Just having the inside done will help with about a 25% reduction in heat transfer."

I like this idea too...and it would look good for a long time.

Thanks for the input

Rob

• Member Contributer

Hi and welcome to VFRD!

I've never had this issue on my 00, but are you wearing riding boots or what? :blush:

BR

I wear a 11" high boot (atgatt), but above the top it can get uncomfortable. This is when the outside temps get into the 80's otherwise it's not too bad.

@mello dude, Thanks for your full run down. Much appreciated!

Maybe if I just wrapped the top pipes of the rear cylinders that would good enough? That's were the heat issue is coming from.

@sa1713 said "You can send your headers out to be ceramic coated inside and out. Indy Powder Coating can do them both for about $140. Just having the inside done will help with about a 25% reduction in heat transfer."

I like this idea too...and it would look good for a long time.

Thanks for the input

Rob

The bike being a V engine still runs hot with the 2 rear cylinders to the rear. I did the rear down pipes and that helped but it isnt the total solution. My bike cooks my butt too for the moment. I think a harder look at some more heat shielding added in place of the stock rubber shield thingy at the back of the tank and whatever else I can come up with is in order. ThermoTec has some foam type shield panels I plan to cut and fit where I can. There's some other products out there too. That area under the seat get mightly warm. That doesnt help the iffy wiring there too.

- If I was in do overs, I think I would go for the ceramic coat, in and out, and then wrap it again too. Overkill? Maybe. but dont care.

btw --- The wrap job isnt all that bad, its mostly labor and patience.

• Member Contributer

I always wrap my pipes and I also wrap my RC45 customers pipes to curb

the heat that radiates from the heat of combustion

gallery_3131_51_1853.jpg

gallery_3131_51_90260.jpg

gallery_3131_51_19326.jpg[

The amount of corrosion is limited to slight graying of the titanium

surface... buffed with grey micro 3M pad the luster of the metal

returns...

gallery_3131_51_52132.jpg

I also blanket the rear cylinders with a aluminumized Kevlar wrap to

curb the heat that radiates from the heat of combustion... the net

result is a lot cooler seat and more comfort for the rider...

365642751_60be95b36e.jpg

• Member Contributer

^^^^ Hey Thanks Larry, mbe that's the idea I have been looking for. Seen any ill effects from not allowing the heat to radiate off the rear cylinders? Hotter cylinder head temps or....? Where do you get that kevlar product and do you have a favorite exhaust wrap?

:cool:

Another curiousity - I thought I had heard that you werent supposed to wrap titanium pipes?

• Member Contributer

^^^^ Hey Thanks Larry, mbe that's the idea I have been looking for. Seen any ill effects from not allowing the heat to radiate off the rear cylinders? Hotter cylinder head temps or....? Where do you get that kevlar product and do you have a favorite exhaust wrap?

:cool:

Another curiousity - I thought I had heard that you werent supposed to wrap titanium pipes?

You can not cause ill effects with a water cooled engine... the coolant system is not effected...

I used this Kelar Aluminized Heat Barrier product...

http://www.jscspeed....vlar-387-1.html

category453_thumb_full.jpg

and 1" Titanium exhaust wrap

http://www.shop.spee...-1-x-50-ft.aspx

1273.jpg

• Member Contributer

Have this on my 5th gen...Did notice less heat on my legs plus a little quieter. I occasionally hose it down but make sure you run the bike to make tit dries up the moisture.

gallery_16926_5592_564787.jpg

VFR800 - Exhaust - Wrap - 05 - Complete - rear.jpg

gallery_16926_5592_84281.jpg

VFR800 - Exhaust - Wrap - 04 - Fitted - Front.jpg

Archived