GoPro LCD BacPac

Knute

• Member Contributer

Oh god - camera farkles . . . My wallet already has farkle fatigue from the bike. :laugh: That's what this camera needed from the get-go and it seems like they should be able to incorporate this as standard equipment for the $300 or so asking price. It's a really cool camera, but it doesn't have enough features for me to do much more with it than mount it on my bike. I don't think I'd video a get together or a game with it, though I'd be interested if someone who uses it has done other things with it.

• Member Contributer

I can't believe they want $80 for it. I'll pass for now..

I agree with you, $80 is a bit much, but I'm sure I'll pop for it, probably sooner rather then later. Least if comes with new doors so it can be used with the existing housing.

• Member Contributer

I want one. But now I have to buy the HD version of the camera (I have the original version). About $380.00 total for the camera and BacPac, I think. Not cheap, but I'll likely do it anyway.

I want one. But now I have to buy the HD version of the camera (I have the original version). About $380.00 total for the camera and BacPac, I think. Not cheap, but I'll likely do it anyway.

I've seen the camera's for a lot less than the $300 MSRP. Anywhere in the $220 - $250 range. Still pricey, but almost like getting the BacPac for free. :biggrin:

• 3 months later...

I can't believe they want $80 for it. I'll pass for now..

I agree with you, $80 is a bit much, but I'm sure I'll pop for it, probably sooner rather then later. Least if comes with new doors so it can be used with the existing housing.

I ordered mine thru ebay for $75

The GoPRO was $235

We had a guy at T-mac this year that lost the whole camera(w-pack). speculating that the added pack might of been part of the reason for the box opening up and losing the system.

There were other reasons that could have caused it, but the solution was to zip-ty the box(someone elses). Just an FYI

• Member Contributer

I bought the screen. It's nice, but does seem to hog up some battery even if you set it to turn off automatically after a bit. One big advantage: it spells out the menu options when you cycle through them. I don't know about anyone else, but I have yet to memorize 'GoPro'-speak, so I always had to carry around the manual so I knew what changes I was actually making. My two big complaints with the screen: 1) it takes the space for the add-on battery pack, so you can't run both at once and 2) the LCD cannot use the same rear portion of the protective housing as would be used for the add'l battery, so you have to carry around all the case halves and swap them around. Very annoying.

Mike

We had a guy at T-mac this year that lost the whole camera(w-pack). speculating that the added pack might of been part of the reason for the box opening up and losing the system.

There were other reasons that could have caused it, but the solution was to zip-ty the box(someone elses). Just an FYI

Good to know... thanks. I will also tether mine.

I bought the screen. It's nice, but does seem to hog up some battery even if you set it to turn off automatically after a bit. One big advantage: it spells out the menu options when you cycle through them. I don't know about anyone else, but I have yet to memorize 'GoPro'-speak, so I always had to carry around the manual so I knew what changes I was actually making. My two big complaints with the screen: 1) it takes the space for the add-on battery pack, so you can't run both at once and 2) the LCD cannot use the same rear portion of the protective housing as would be used for the add'l battery, so you have to carry around all the case halves and swap them around. Very annoying.

Mike

can you delete pics/video using the screen menu?

• Member Contributer

Mike

can you delete pics/video using the screen menu?

Yes, but you can already do that without the screen as well. Having the screen just gives you the advantage of having something that spells out the command and explains what it will do, as opposed to 'dLt' or whatever the dinky LCD screen on the front tells you.

Mike

• Member Contributer

Mike

Does the unit not have its own battery? Reading the info for it, I was sure the unit had its own battery that would power it and give you extra battery life for the camera as well. Thats my biggest issue with the GoPro is lack of battery life. I get about 3hours on a battery shootting @ 720.

And I do the same with the settings menu, I know a few like upside down shooting and the res setting but all the others I have no idea about.

Just to be clear, the box didn't fall off, it opened and everthing inside fell out. So they put a zip around the box.

It could have been that it wasn't closed correctly, or that it was mounted on the front finder, and got to many hits from not being sprung.

Thats another reason I like my olde, cheaper version. It uses 2 AAA batteries and I just carry around a handful of rechargables.

• Member Contributer

Mike

I purchased one a month or so ago. The one thing that disappointed me was that while on the fly do to bad angles in certain mounting positions and it being hard to see in the sunlight I just can not see the darn LCD to verify that I did indeed press the start/stop recording button. Still, no regrets, it does make the camera more user friendly.

• Member Contributer

Mike

Does the unit not have its own battery?

Not to my knowledge

My unit came today.

It's charging now and I hope to test it on Sunday.

The box that protects the camera seems pretty secure for it to just open but I might just do the extra steps to secure it.

Also, the tethering of the suction cup will be a must just as added precaution.

Just to be clear, the box didn't fall off, it opened and everthing inside fell out. So they put a zip around the box.

It could have been that it wasn't closed correctly, or that it was mounted on the front finder, and got to many hits from not being sprung.

I own the battery backpack. It uses the same back door as the lcd backpack. I dont see how changing the back door on the casing would effect the clamping mechanism whatsoever. Mechanically its exactly the same except its a little deeper.

However there can defintly be user error on putting on the new door and also clamping it shut improperly.

Also when i was shopping for my batteyr backpack and reading the gopro forums ive read alot about the LCD bricking gopros. Ide personally hold off on it till they get the new firmware sorted out.

• Member Contributer

I own the battery backpack. It uses the same back door as the lcd backpack. I dont see how changing the back door on the casing would effect the clamping mechanism whatsoever. Mechanically its exactly the same except its a little deeper.

However there can defintly be user error on putting on the new door and also clamping it shut improperly.

Also when i was shopping for my batteyr backpack and reading the gopro forums ive read alot about the LCD bricking gopros. Ide personally hold off on it till they get the new firmware sorted out.

Those with software issues probably need to update the OS on the camera. I had to on mine. It's free on their website.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

After a couple of photo sessions, I can say the LCD pack rocks!

Not only because it spells the cam options, but you can actually see what you are shooting when setting up the cam on a mount location.

It does suck battery life.

Solution: get a battery pack. it serves as a stand alone charger with mini USB adapter and comes with one battery.

No, you cannot have both on the gopro.

I have the battery pack in my tail bag charging one battery. I have a 12v plug from under the seat.

When the gopro goes low on battery, I just swap batteries.

Archived