I screwed up

digitallyhip

• Member Contributer

In an effort to clean up the wiring of several farkles on my 2003, I purchased and installed a Fuzeblock. The idea was to have it power my GPS, heated grips and Stebel horn.

The rewiring project took place over several weeks (I work essentially outside and it's winter), and through obvious brainfade, I wired the horn directly to the Fuzeblock, bypassing the horn switch.

As soon as I powered up the 12v system, there was a flash and the horn's Fuzeblock fuse blew, as did the Honda panel fuse for the brake lights/turn signals etc. After replacing that fuse, and checking all the other fuses (and disconnecting the horn), the good news is that I am left with a bike that runs properly (30 minute test ride), has brake and turn signals, but has two problems:

1. the speedo reads 0 constantly; and
  2. the FI light comes on solidly after about 10-12 minutes of riding.

Pulling over and turning off the engine temporarily fixes the light, but the speedo has not changed.

I have been searching and reading, but cannot find any information that might narrow this down. Does anyone have a suggestion for me, please?

Many thanks.

• Member Contributer

Hey

Since nobody is saying anything, I'll volunteer the very little knowledge I have. Have you tried resetting the computer? Might help with FI light. Just saying...

C

• Member Contributer

Hey

Since nobody is saying anything, I'll volunteer the very little knowledge I have. Have you tried resetting the computer? Might help with FI light. Just saying...

C

Thanks, Christian! The only way that I know of to reset the computer is to shut it down and restart. Is there a procedure that I have missed?

• Member Contributer

Have a manual? Check it for the procedure to read the FI codes. That should give you a place to start. Also describes the procedure to clear those codes once you have found them.

Be sure to check all your other fuses. Is there a separate one the speedo?

FI code might be for the lack of speedo input to the ecu. Burn a wire from the speedo pick up? My '99 is on the drive sprocket, don't know about the 6th gens. Probably the same? Start there, and trace the wires into the harness and to the ecu.

• Member Contributer

I'd check all fuses as step 1. May save yourself the hassle of digging into the manual. You may get lucky and just end up replacing one or two fuses. If not, then it's the manual route.

P.S.

I could start more than one topic with the same title. Much more. :blush:

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your "Moment" I have had plenty of those....I hope it turns out to be an easy fix :fing02: I wish I could be of more help

Good Luck

Gary

• Member Contributer

I'd check all fuses as step 1. May save yourself the hassle of digging into the manual. You may get lucky and just end up replacing one or two fuses. If not, then it's the manual route.

P.S.

I could start more than one topic with the same title. Much more. :blush:

Thanks for the PS. The fuses all check out (rats). I have trouble with the fried board idea, because all the other parts of the instruments are working, and the speedo does show 0 rather than being blank.

I'll keep digging.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey digitallyhip, any update for us on this problem of yours? whenever peeps post a problem it's good to follow up with the solution so others can benefit.

Also, I'm confused by your first post about the problem. You say "I wired the horn directly to the Fuzeblock, bypassing the horn switch" but I fail to see how this would cause any problems other than an always on horn.

• Member Contributer

Hey digitallyhip, any update for us on this problem of yours? whenever peeps post a problem it's good to follow up with the solution so others can benefit.

Also, I'm confused by your first post about the problem. You say "I wired the horn directly to the Fuzeblock, bypassing the horn switch" but I fail to see how this would cause any problems other than an always on horn.

Hello Bartman:

You are right. I have postponed updating because I keep hoping I will find the cause and cure. I have not. The current situation is that the speedo and odo are not functional. Speed always equals zero, odo doesn't increase.

I have quadruple checked all fuses and have followed the troubleshooting guide and proved to myself that there's no voltage coming from the rear wheel rotation sensor. I can't see how I could have killed it with my botched rewiring job, but nonetheless it's dead.

I think my next step is the dealer.

• Member Contributer

You seem to be fairly electrically inclined given the amount of trouble shooting you've done so far. Do you really feel you've exhausted all the possible troubleshooting and remedies you can muster? Heading to the stealer is a desperate move.

AFAIK the speed sensor is a pickup near the front sprocket, at least it is on my 6th gen. The speed sensor on the rear wheel itself is just for the ABS. Should be the same on your '03 but I didn't think they had an ABS option in '03.

I assume your following the troubleshooting section of the service manual available in the files section of VFRD? Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) troubleshooting starts on page 20-12.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure why you wired the Stebel horn directly to the Fuzeblock, as it can draw up to 18 or so amps at full draw. And the Stebel should be wired so that the stock horn energizes the relay that came with the horn, but actual power should come straight from the battery. That's how mine is wired... Anyway, I say undo the horn wiring and put it back to stock before doing any further troubleshooting.

What else do you have wired to the Fuzeblock besides the horn, GPS, and heated grips?

• Member Contributer

And double check and make sure you did not pull the wrong wire to the fuse block.

I forgot to add...the power to the horn also supplies power to many other circuits, some of which route to the meter panel. That's why I recommend removing the horn from the Fuzeblock and returning the horn wiring back to stock before doing any further troubleshooting.

Also, I'm assuming you've had the wiring recalls done, so use the diagrams in this file to help.

• Member Contributer

This may sound completely stupid, but sometimes two concurrent problems can be coincidental. In other words, you may have a second problem. On my 2004 I lost speedo and had an FI light problem. The FI light was only a symptom and not the problem. The problem was a very simple and cheap fix...order a part called the speedometer joint (#44808-MR7-013 on Ron Ayers parts fiche for a 2004). It's about $6 bucks. You will need to pry off the old one with a screwdriver and replace with the new one. Even though my old one didn't look worn, it was. The metal nut underneath was just spinning and not registering speed. Just a thought...

• Member Contributer

Hey digitallyhip, lots of good advice in this thread from some pretty helpful peeps. Did you throw a voltmeter onto the VSS per the troubleshooting section of the service manual? 2thdr and I are suspicious that you have a faulty VSS AKA Speedometer Joint AKA sensor.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey digitallyhip, lots of good advice in this thread from some pretty helpful peeps. Did you throw a voltmeter onto the VSS per the troubleshooting section of the service manual? 2thdr and I are suspicious that you have a faulty VSS AKA Speedometer Joint AKA sensor.

Sorry for the delayed followup, but I was getting VERY discouraged. However: good news!

It is fixed! It came to me in the middle of the night: what if my Speedohealer went bad? So I have just stripped the left side bodywork and disconnected the Speedohealer and reconnected things the way that Honda designed it.

AND I HAVE NUMBERS!!

A quick ride confirmed that everything is back to normal.

• Member Contributer

It's funny how the answers come out of nowhere....we tend to overlook the obvious :comp13: Congrats on now being able to see how fast your going :fing02:

• Member Contributer

It's funny how the answers come out of nowhere....we tend to overlook the obvious :comp13: Congrats on now being able to see how fast your going :fing02:

Thank you both. I did have the GPS, which probably just took off the pressure to find a fix!

David

Archived