Insider Gossip

TexOz

• Member Contributer

I just happened to be at my local Honda dealership today (my battery died :angry: while I was at work and I needed a new one).

Anyway, I got chatting to the dealer bloke and there was another visitor there who (I gleaned from the conversation) is sorta middle management in Honda Australia.

Nice enough bloke who was full of talk and in the end I found it hard to get away - but he did mention a few interesting things:

• First - he reckons the new Crossrunner is going to be sold in America - don't know how connected he is to his US brethren but he was quite matter-of-fact about it even after I mentioned the general reservations of the US VFRD crowd.
  • Second - his understanding is that the 6th Gen line will continue and he was confident that there will be 2011 version of the 6th Gen VFR800 on the market.
  • Lastly - from very soonish (he didn't elaborate further) all Honda road going MCs will be sold with ABS as a standard (I think we all knew this would happen sooner or later - risk adverse government regulators are sure to foist this on the industry in the coming years anyway).

Info provided for the magnificent consideration of the VFRD community - cheers :happy:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info.

I hope the Crossrunner does come to the US. It looks...interesting.

Personally, I can't see Honda bringing back the VFR800. First they replaced it with the 1200, then they come out with the reskinned 800 Crossrunner. I just don't see another 800 VFR.

I'm not surprised at all on the ABS. I, too, and waiting for the day for some bureaucrat in government to make it mandatory on all road going vehicles.

• Second - his understanding is that the 6th Gen line will continue and he was confident that there will be 2011 version of the 6th Gen VFR800 on the market.

I can't imagine Honda continuing the VFR 800, at least in America, with all the unsold 800s on showroom floors at rock bottom prices.

• Member Contributer

I can't imagine Honda continuing the VFR 800, at least in America, with all the unsold 800s on showroom floors at rock bottom prices.

So what was the deal with the 2010 800? Was it a European only model? Or everywhere except North America? Or was there no '10 model?

I would be glad to see the 6th gen continue here. It fills a nitch most of the competition is missing, sport tourer light, all the touring fun with fewer calories. Sales may not be the greatest, on the other hand Honda is making the re-skinned VFR as the Crossrunner so the cost of continued production for the VFR would be lessened. It would be nice to see a cosmetic makeover to update the styling, if they keep it sport bike like rather than the stodgy luxury direction of the 1200. They must keep the luggage option and hopefully the undertail exhaust.

• Member Contributer

MY TAKE ON ABS.

Braking systems need to be usable when the ABS fails. All to often automotive breaks are built depending on the assistance of electical motors and vacum. But, when it fails the breaks are unbalanced and weak. ABS does amazing things when it works.

I just hope that when Honda decides that all new built bikes will have this applied that they remember we still need to use the brakes if the system failed. Not everyone has hands that can squeeze a diamond from a charcoal. I mean I do of course but, not all you mortals out there do.

I do not see a return of a 800cc VFR either. Not anytime soon anyway.

• Member Contributer

... Personally, I can't see Honda bringing back the VFR800. First they replaced it with the 1200, ...

Yeah but did they actually replace the VFR800 with the VFR1200 or did we just assume it was the next model in this line-up because it has VFR in its name? I'm starting to wonder ... :mellow:

Perhaps the VFR1200 is meant to replace the ST1300 in the longer term ...?

• Member Contributer

I don't think the VFR1200 is the replacement for the VFR800.

I dont see why they wouldn't bring the 800 back to the US once the 2007, 2008, and 2009 models are gone - possibly sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. Why would they not bring it here of the tooling is paid for (or should be after 10 years of global sales :goofy: ) and they realize that the market for this bike is as they are currently selling $7200- $7800 new.

I would prefer that they take some paid for plastics tooling say from the 04 or 07 CBR and some parts bin suspension bits and offer a low tech more sporting VFR800 for a little bit more in cost.

If you see me turning blue it is because I am still holding my breathe for Honda to provide me a proper heir to the Interceptor lineage. :biggrin: Now could be the time with the VFR1200 left to carry the flag of technology for the brand.

I can't see the VFR800 continuing in 6th gen form. Fantastic bike to be sure (tho of course I'm a little biased :tongue:) but it has run its course IMO.

Now, take the existing engine, dump VTEC, go back to GDCs, restyle the bike (not that it needs it, really) and spec USD fork w/better and more adjustable suspension bits AND shave a few pounds...You'd have the bike most VFR fans wanted in the first place.

Also, with MotoGP going back to 1000cc, I don't see Honda or anyone else rushing to produce new bikes between 600cc and 1000cc in the near future. :dry:

• Member Contributer

Holy crap, if Honda bring out the ABS model of the 6th-gen I might just be extremely tempted to jump on that. That Candy Glory Red with gold wheels.....oh yeah.

It is common for Honda to run a number of capacities of the same bike. What's more the 12, is nothing like the 800... they share a V4, but that's where it ends and even then, the V4 is vastly different. They are continuing to sell 800's here at around the $14k mark (12 is $25k) and it makes perfect sense, here is Aus at least, to continue to do so.

The cross runner and the 800 share very large chunks of the same parts bin, so tooling/design etc has been paid for by the 800, and the crossrunner will continue to payfor it. It would cost them very little to continue to put 800's together provided there is a market. Sure, the US maybe full of unsold models, but not so here and in other countries around the world.

• Member Contributer

Holy crap, if Honda bring out the ABS model of the 6th-gen I might just be extremely tempted to jump on that. That Candy Glory Red with gold wheels.....oh yeah.

Yep, IIRC he didn't say as much but intimated that future 6th Gens sold in Oz will be available in ABS.

• 1 month later...

I just read an interesting article in one of our local Bike magazines about the Honda Crossrunner. The old VFR800 engine is being used and has been tweaked to give a more smoother output. It seems a cross between the old yamaha TDM and Honda Varadero! Very interesting design. I'm not sure if the bike will be coming to South Africa but I sure hope so. The fuel tank has also been increased to 21.5 litres which gives it a nice range. It is being marketed as a sports tourer with a more upright riding position.

• Member Contributer

Herewith a picture of the Honda Crossrunner. You be the judge.

Happy New Year!

Have you been a guest at HM Prisons the past few months? :laughing6-hehe:

(there is a separate section on the forum for this bike)

:biggrin:

Archived