Almost crashed tonight

TimC

As the thread title says, I almost crashed my VFR tonight.

On my way home on a country road in the dark, on a basically 90-degree uphill left-hander I've ridden many times, I straightened out too soon and ran off the road - into a strip of grass and rough ground probably about a foot off the road, where some trees were just a couple more feet to my right. I grabbed some brake to slow down and try to regain control, the bike fishtailed hard once, then I rode it back onto the pavement. I'm pretty sure there was a wooden fence post a few more yards ahead, too. I actually deserved to crash. I don't know how I rode it out.

I'm very lucky - and very ashamed. I was probably going a little too fast plus I didn't stay leaned over long enough. Really, really effin' stupid. Spooked me pretty good. Before I let it get to me too much, I turned around and rode the curve again. Downhill right-hander, a little slower than I usually take it - OK. Going back up the hill, I took it a little slower and stayed leaned over - no problem this time. I think if I hadn't turned around and hit that curve again I'd still be freaked out - or at least more than I am at this point.

Chalk it up to a bit too much speed, a nasty mental error and sudden loss of proper bike handling skills. Still kicking myself for it, and I'm sure I will be for awhile. I'm just extremely relieved I'm OK. It's a bonus that the bike is OK, too. I didn't deserve to catch this break, so I'm counting my blessings.

The irony here is that I just finished a 3-day/1200-mile trip Sunday evening where I never screwed up this bad, even in much tougher twisties and even in twisties at night on unfamiliar roads. (Of course, I did fall over with my bike in a parking lot when I was getting on it, but that's not remotely in the same category as my boneheaded move tonight.) Maybe this can serve as a good reminder to all of us not to take anything for granted out there. Stay focused and ride smart. Even usually easy corners you've ridden dozens of times can bite you on the ass when you aren't 100% engaged mentally or physically. I learned that lesson again tonight.

As stupid as I feel about my near-miss tonight, I thought it was important to share it with the group in hopes it might prevent others from making the same kind of mistake. Ride safe, everyone.

• Member Contributer

Like the others have said,

Thank you for sharing that experience.

I have, at times got on to ride and after about 10 minutes, realized that my mind was elsewhere

and that I had not been doing any sort of defensive riding, at all, for this crutial period.

Luckily nothing has happened, so far, but it highlights just how easy it is to slip into "Automatic"

and making you rely on your learned reactions for defence.

I guess this adds empahasis th the importance of fostering good riding habbits, so that you

instinctively revert to these when your mind is distracted.

Just my opinion , of course

Tom Grayson

Glad you're ok Tim. Good on ya for going right back to "correct yourself".

Might wanna kick back and take a break from the bike for a week or two - there are better things to do in the winter than fix bike damage!

• Member Contributer

Wow, glad you're okay on that one. It seems like sometimes we let our guard down a little on roads that are familiar to us. I know I catch myself on autopilot ocasionally on routes I ride regularly. And that can be dangerous. Probably the reason you rode so well in unfamiliar territory on the trip you mentioned is that you were very focused and engaged in an area new to you.

Chuck

First off Tim good on you for posting it here, that's both very humble of you and good for others to be reminded not to take even the most boring of commutes home for granted.

I guess you may have just been in what I call ''automatic pilot mode'', I am sometimes coming back from work. We all get days where our riding isn't what it should be, these are the days where it's time to slow things down or if you are able to, leave the bike at home (I don't have that luxury however).

Glad you and your bike are ok :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Glad you're OK buddy.

Happens to all of us from time to time. Not all are as fortunate to only have to change the undies after a mishap :laughing6-hehe:

Take some time off as Seb said. There is such thing as bikers fatigue. It builds and sneaks up on ya and... Well, you know.

Thanks for sharing and ride safe.

Thanks for all the supportive comments, guys. :wink:

I rode to work today, but am planning to take the next few days (maybe even a week) off the bike due to expected rainy weather, some stuff going on this weekend AND because I do believe I need a little break. I'm just not as mentally sharp while riding as I need to be, and that quick lapse of focus nearly cost me a lot last night.

As Seb and Rice suggested, I think it's fatigue related. Big trips can do that - one of the very few negative consequences of motorcycle touring, huh? :laugh:

Glad you made it back on the road ok........... Riding in the dark makes it hard to scan the road far enough to get the big picture imprinted........Thx for sharing.

These are the best teachers (and much less expensive than crashing!). Glad you rode it out and stayed upright.

Guaranteed you've sharpened your focus and well played getting right back after it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Took a week off the bike. In the meantime I had my front tire replaced - and I even removed and reinstalled my front wheel by myself for the first time! No big deal for most of you, but it's kind of an event for me. Saved me some dough by not having the shop do it, and now I'm confident I can do it every time in the future. :smile:

Anyway, I commuted to work on the bike this morning, my first ride in just over a week. My head was clear and I was more aware of everything around me. I think rider fatigue had me on auto-pilot following my trip, so I'm very glad I took that time off the bike. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Took a week off the bike. In the meantime I had my front tire replaced - and I even removed and reinstalled my front wheel by myself for the first time! No big deal for most of you, but it's kind of an event for me. Saved me some dough by not having the shop do it, and now I'm confident I can do it every time in the future. :smile:

Anyway, I commuted to work on the bike this morning, my first ride in just over a week. My head was clear and I was more aware of everything around me. I think rider fatigue had me on auto-pilot following my trip, so I'm very glad I took that time off the bike. :fing02:

Good deal!

Isn't it getting a bit chilly where you are?

• Member Contributer

Glad it didn't turn out bad for you.

I just got back from a 3,400 mile ride with my brother. I fared well, but he f'd up three times! He missed a curve on the Hell Bender, and rode off into a field (his front tire was down 20 lbs. of air!!!); he pulled out in front of a speeding car in Birmingham at night, and was missed by just a few inches; and he changed lanes on the interstate right into the path of a car that had been in his blind spot (he never turned his head to look!). And this was all the first week!

From there on out I rode behind him and warned him whenever there was potential danger, although this annoyed him mightily. Better annoyed than injured or dead, though. Maybe he was off due to being on the tail end of a terrible bout with the flu. There's a lesson there.

Archived