colder riding options

Guest jeff137

• Member Contributer

I agree with the folks who wear the Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants. I have been wearing these (without the liner) so far during the ever colder North Jersey nights and my legs feel warm with just regular pants underneath. I have also commuted to work in these with the khakis under them. If you need to arrive with perfect creases, this will not work, but you won't be too wrinkled for the office.

One other thing that I suggest... on the cold nights, I wear a long pair of baseball socks to help protect the lower legs from cold because the AE pants are not elastic tight at the bottom.

I got the pinlock via fedex today. I've installed it, but haven't tried it out yet cause I'm not feeling too great.

Kill two birds with one stone by taking a turkish bath wearing your helmet.

AH-YES ...Steam baths ... I sure miss them, there aren't any to be found in this area........

Heated grips are all bonus.

Bonus is a good choice of words for what to wear(have)while riding, not that everyone will be in the middle of Kansas at near 0º , or on a back road in the middle of the night with the same sort of temps'..... But it might feel like it if your bike quits running and all your gear is light weight electric tech-no' stuff.... Food for thought... I made two trips from Denver,Co. to VA. and back in 20º temps' before there was eletric riding gear( to my knowledge, late 70's), I had a leather down jacket, and tight weave cloth down pants, a cover that went over the grips and levers that gave an air pocket to keep the blast off my hands (I could wear my summer single layer gloves inside the covers). For my feet I wore boots with rubber rain totes over them, amazing how that cuts down on the cold(pain to put on and off, but better than frost-bite). For my head I had a full face helmet that I wore with the face shield just open at the bottom( but my bikes windshield was high enough to blow the air over my head), and a thick scarf wrapped around my neck....... My knees were the only victims..... Just a flash from the past folks.

• Member Contributer

Gloves:

I just got Tourmaster Winter Elite gloves - plenty warm so far down to a few degrees above freezing. They also have a rain-proof over-gauntlet that's tucked away into the extended uppers (untested as yet).

The strange thing is the multiple layers and padding between the hand and the bars - it makes for a lack of grip that's a bit disconcerting. I'll probably get used to it, but something I hadn't considered befor buying.

Pants: +1 on the Helly-Hansen underwear - thin and warm.

I've been looking for some better apparel options now that the temps are dropping. because I work 2nd shift and often drive home around midnight in 40 degree weather and soon to be 30 degree weather. I don't ride in the rain or snow, just clear weather. So I'm only needing weather for dry cold weather. Looking for your opinions on a couple of items:

Gloves: TourMaster Polar Tex?

I've been wearing Teknic track spec gloves (leather / kevlar), but it's starting to get too cold for them and my hands are a bit cold at night. Last winter I often had blue hands after the short 20 minute ride home (thru back country roads with a lot of colder valleys.) I would prefer to not need to wire my bike for electric gloves. I tried on a pair of TourMaster Polar Tex gloves yesterday and they felt really good and they're pretty cheap. Does anyone have these gloves? If so, do they perform ok near 30 degrees? (They'll be a HUGE improvement over what I wore last year, but I want to buy the right thing so I only buy once.)

Pant: ???????

I have to wear dress slacks at work. All last year my work pants were my only covering for my legs even when it was below freezing. I saw that TourMaster makes over pants. I don't want to change clothes for the ride home. If I could just throw something over my work pants that would be great. Could someone provide an opinion on TourMaster overpants or make a suggestion for a different kind that would fit my needs? Again, I don't want to go electric if I don't have to, but I hate freezing and I don't want to put the bike away all winter either. If it's not raining or snowing I want to ride!

Here I use Snow Cross Pants.. Thin Light but WARM Double ended at boot.. Insert fabric in boot and shell goes on outside ( nothing get in the feet) It's 38 today. When I stop for coffee I stay outdoors or I will bake. I LOVE them ( BTW 99 CDN at Royal Distributing Sale)

Last year I rode from Maryland to NYC in sub freezing weather. The layers were as follows:

2 pair socks, thor 50/50 boots

Long johns, leather jeans, speed and strength overpants

tee shirt, long johns, sweater, bowling jacket, Teknic freeway jacket

Teknic thunder gloves (heated grips)

Ballaclava, throat coat

Nolan n102 w/ pinlock shield

All very toasty except my toes.

• Member Contributer

I really enjoy riding in cold weather. It's invigorating. I layer up or, if it's really cold and I have a long way to go, I use my heated gear (gloves, socks, jacket, and pants).

Honestly heated gloves doesn't draw too much power and can transfer them to different bikes. We all have different tolerance in dealing with cold weather, If it gets under 50 F my hands starts to turn white and can't feel the controls. It doesn't matter what kind of winter gloves you wear, eventually my hands will get uncomfortable in about 20 minutes. I use heated gloves (Warm N Safe) and Hippo Hands and feel comfortable going down the road in any temperature as long as there is no snow.

Don't be stressed out by cold weather riding get heated gear.

Last year I rode from Maryland to NYC in sub freezing weather. The layers were as follows:

Ballaclava, throat coat

and I bet you were still cold, heated gear, its like a good friend

The Pin Lock shield and lens are the best money I've spent in a LONG time. I rode for 2 thirty minute sessions in 34 degree temps the other day. Not a drop of moisture / fog even thought of collecting on the shield. I have never been able to see so well in cold weather! The overalls were a great idea too. I was actually a bit hot in them. Now on to the suspension like I said before...

I've been wearing Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants for many years and swear by them. I've ridden many hours in mid-20's temperartures and have been quite warm. They also have guards / pads and offer some protection in a fall.

As for hands, grip heaters are the bomb and are easy to install. Regardless of your glove choice I think they are awesome for cold weather riding. I use leather racing gloves down to the low 40's and then switch to Tourmasters. They are warmer but you give up just about all control feel.

I have and use a "Foggy" insert in my KBC VR-type helmets. It does make it a bit more of a challenge to get the helmet on, but it ELIMINATES fogging, period. I tried all the sprays, shields, etc....and if the shield didn't fog then my glasses did. You stick a velcro circle (maybe 1-2" diameter) in the chin bar and that is the only "permanent" addition to the helmet. It is a neoprene piece that has a molded bridge for over your nose. It stretches across the cheeks and then velcros to the lining of the helmet over the strap area. When you have the helmet on the foggy isolates the "eye compartment" from your breath....COMPLETELY.

Now the small negatives...it does get much colder in the eye compartment, as your exhaled breath is now keeping your chin warm! If you wear contact lens and are riding in VERY cold weather, I've actually noticed the lens freezing slowly....little snowflake patterns! That and being a bit harder to get the helmet situated are the only bad things. Glasses fit normally. Breathing (esp. if you have on a neck warmer / hood) really keeps your chin warm and your lips from chapping in the cold air.

For the price, I think the grip heaters and foggy are hard to beat. I've had the foggy and use it all winter...for probably 6 or 7 years and it is holding up very well. Just my .02.....

Jon

• Member Contributer

Some people have tried a clip in face mask product that covers both nose and mouth and directs your breath down away from the shield - I haven't tried one myself, but have heard very good things about them. (Look for a product called "Foggy", and perhaps someone on the forum with direct experience with the product will chime in with a product review).

I've used one. Specifically, I used this one, on an Arai Signet GTR.

My previous experience had been with Fog City inserts, and with various "anti-fog" things smeared inside a regular faceshield. The effectiveness of those earlier attempts varied and/or the optical quality was diminished.

However, with the Foggy breathguard, I had no such problems. Once I had the Foggy breathguard properly installed, the faceshield did not fog for me, even with the faceshield fully closed & sitting at a stop. (And I've been riding in cold/damp weather for years - so I was quite excited!)

The concept is simple - it seals over the top of your nose and your cheeks, so all of your exhaled breath (whether from your nose or mouth) is directed down & out the bottom of the helmet. It cannot get to the faceshield, in order to cause it to fog up. For that reason, I don't know how effective this would be if you have any sort of 'helmet skirt' (or other cover at the bottom of your helmet).

However, it required a fair amount of setup time for me, as well as practice putting the helmet on & taking it off with the Foggy installed. (True story: the first time I tried to take the helmet off while I had the Foggy installed, I felt like I was going to pull off either my ears or my nose. I tried for over 20 minutes to take off the helmet before I could safely say I would do so with nose & ears intact.) Getting an optional set of thinner cheekpads for my helmet (to allow a little more room for the neoprene material) helped considerably.

Even when sorted, it took me some time before I was fully comfortable with it.

Now that I have a new helmet (Shoei RF1100), I have not yet moved the Foggy over to it. (I need a new piece of velcro for the Shoei chinbar, velcro to which the Foggy attaches, and I again will want to install thinner cheekpads.) However, it's also possible to get a Pinlock shield for the Shoei, so I think I may try that next. If I'm not happy, then I'll install the Foggy in the Shoei.

Ron

• Member Contributer

Keeping the wind off your skin is a big part of the battle. I use a pair of pants from Columbia Sports. These are Gore Tex lined, so the breath out moisture and block wind and rain. They have hidden cuffs that block the wind from going up your leg and they do not tapper at the ankles, thus letting you look pretty normal. The knee is cordura and the inside of the ankles also. Basiclly covering the same inner ankle with more matieral as do really expensive riding clothing. I found them hanging on a close out rack at a Sports Authority.

So do not pass up the close out racks. I think the common thought is "think like water, think like wind" when it comes to any well built outdoor clothing.

I guess I could say the money I saved buying these close out high performance pants allowed me to buy my Frank Thomas XTi1 water proof lined riding jacket from Cycle Gear. I had it shipped in from another store and it too was on close out. It cost me $109.99 and was retailed for $229.99. Thanks to the arrival of the new XTi2 line up I got a great deal.

This morning it was 38 degrees with 15mph winds and I felt good at 80+mph.

speaking of Frank Thomas, I just solved another cold weather problem. My Franky-T pants are very very warm and I like them, but I was still wearing my leathers for the twisty way to work. Dial up ebay..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170560580035 , plus a little sewing from me to be double-sure, and problem solved:

001-7.jpg

Ballaclava, throat coat

:laughing6-hehe:

Must be the flat black Paint . I work outside all year round and I don't bundle up that much.:pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

speaking of Frank Thomas, I just solved another cold weather problem. My Franky-T pants are very very warm and I like them, but I was still wearing my leathers for the twisty way to work. Dial up ebay..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170560580035 , plus a little sewing from me to be double-sure, and problem solved:

001-7.jpg

It is not bad stuff for the money. Seems to hold up well and the fit is pretty good.

I have overpants that I use, I ride unless there is ice on the ground. I haven't had to put the liner in yet....it makes them tight as they shrunk a bit this year...weird. I also have a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket that has a killer liner...3/4 length jacket helps keep the wind out, and it is water resistant (so they claim, not tested personally). I also keep a rain gear set on the bike, so if it got really cold I could layer with that and the wind protection would make it quite comfortable.

For gloves I have heated Powerlet gloves. I also have a heated Powerlet jacket liner. Both work pretty well, but not with the First Gear jacket as the gloves and jacket sleeves don't match up well...both want to be on top. I used them the other day when the temp was in the high 30's, rode very warm. I also have heated grips, they help but do nothing for you thumb.

My helmet (EXO1000) has a shield that is anti-fog...haven't had a problem with it yet. In the past I used the Respo Foggy...works very well. I also used a deal that sealed the bottom of the helmet to keep my chin warm, but the velcro on it came unstiched and I haven't repaired it yet (or needed to). I also use a thin Balaclava and a neck gator.

• Member Contributer

I have a Foggy. Used it several years now and my helmet doesn't fog at all with it. It fits so well that combined with the Aerostitch wind block neck triangle thing it can make it hard to breathe! Lol. Heated grips made a world of difference too!

Archived