"vfr800 stand" does one exist

CYCLEKNIGHT

• Member Contributer

been searching the web for a bike stand application one which suspends the entire bike safely and securely!!!!! is there such a contraption?

How about the center stand or a wheel chock?

been searching the web for a bike stand application one which suspends the entire bike safely and securely!!!!! is there such a contraption?

How about the center stand or a wheel chock?

besides the obvious i'm talking about those fancy paddock stands used for maintenance. the german's make a nice for every other sportbike except the vfr's, hell it sucks being different sometimes.

• Member Contributer

PIt Viper Motorcycle Dolly - saw it in September's Cycle World for $96.00 and it has a kickstand platform so you can lock it and wheel around the garage.

www.discountramps.com

Has a video demonstration that looks like it's pretty cut and dry.

The centerstand on mine is very difficult to use so I actually end up jumping the bike into a corner by the time I get it up on the stand anyway......

The centerstand on mine is very difficult to use so I actually end up jumping the bike into a corner by the time I get it up on the stand anyway......

If you are jumping the bike around, your technique may be the problem. The guy I bought my bike from showed me how he with the help of his wife were trying to lift the bike onto the centrestand using the handlebars. I amazed him by using correct technique to get the bike on to the centrestand at the first attempt.

For those of you who may be struggling, try this technique:

1. Bike on sidestand on level ground. The sidestand won't get in the way.

2. Standing on LHS of bike, face bike at right angle. Hold LHS handlebar loosely with your left hand.

3. Locate the uppermost horizontal part of the rear footpeg assemply (just beneath sidecover) with your right hand. Cup your hand under it. Get a firm hold.

4. With the ball of your right foot, find the centrestand peg nearest you and ease it to the ground.

5. Keeping the centrestand in contact with the ground, using your left hand to steady the bike, gently rock the bike away from you until you feel the opposite leg of the centre stand make contact with the ground. At this point, the bike will feel steadier and you can keep it there with your left hand and/or light pressure from your body.

6. Now for the critical part. You push down firmly with your right foot while stretching up and away with your right arm straight. It's a kind of scissor movement.You are stretching your arm and foot apart not lifting anything. Imagine there's a very strong elastic band being stretched between right hand and right foot. Your left hand does not contribute to the "lift" at all. It remains fairly relaxed and just steadies the front end. Most of the power comes from the downward pressure of your right leg.

With this simple technique you should be able to easily lift a fully loaded bike onto the centrestand with complete confidence and you don't need to be a gym junkie to do it.

PIt Viper Motorcycle Dolly - saw it in September's Cycle World for $96.00 and it has a kickstand platform so you can lock it and wheel around the garage.

www.discountramps.com

Has a video demonstration that looks like it's pretty cut and dry.

thanks i'll check it out !!!!!

• Member Contributer

It's all technique - I do similar to the steps outlined above, but I end up "standing" on the centre stand with my one foot once I fully commit and my weight alone will do the trick. I don't have a CS on my 1990, but I had an 01 for a while that did and even though I'm 150 lbs (soaking wet), only about 5'9" (in heels), and don't lift anything heavier than a fork full of pasta. The other night a buddy came by with his massive (to me) Strom and I was able to reef that up on the CS too.

• Member Contributer

THAT is some priceless advise!!! Thank you

I tried that and it worked much better. I was basically trying to lift the bike on on half of the stand. I guess the most important part of that is to go against the instinct to hold the bike close to you on one side of the center stand. Using the full center stand was much easier that way.

Thanks again. Now I can put it on the stand and then jump it into a corner!

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Center stand + an old paint can under the headers do it for me. Never had an issue with this setup.

Yes you can use the right hand to lift the tail, but I always regarded it as a stabilizer and hardly pull up with it and just use my full weight on the centerstand peg to get the stand up and locked. I weigh about 160 pounds and it's enough to use just my weight on most bikes to get them on their CS.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Yes you can use the right hand to lift the tail, but I always regarded it as a stabilizer and hardly pull up with it and just use my full weight on the centerstand peg to get the stand up and locked. I weigh about 160 pounds and it's enough to use just my weight on most bikes to get them on their CS.

Beck

95 VFR

I've been known to put my 6th gen up on the center stand this way...barefooted! :fing02: Once you have the technique down it is easy.

I've been known to put my 6th gen up on the center stand this way...barefooted!

My tender foot bones need a solid boot under them for this maneuver. :ohmy:

• Member Contributer
I've been known to put my 6th gen up on the center stand this way...barefooted!

My tender foot bones need a solid boot under them for this maneuver. :ohmy:

Don't know why, but I tend to wash the bike barefooted. :blush:

• 2 months later...

Archived