LED turn signal help NEEDED

Axel_7

• Member Contributer

Well i finally desided to change out my old lenses with new clear ones , Well i found a site in FRANCE that sold them with LED lights built in.

I tried my best to use Google translator to make sure that they would fit correctly and it did say from 2002 up so i bought them and waited.......

They arrived yesterday and this morning i started the installation of the NEW farkles.

I Installed the rear first and it went pretty smoothly except i had to use a knife to trim some tabs to fit my 2004.....

and it went smoothly and everything worked perfectly...

Then onto the front.. I removed the left turn signal lens and replaced it with the new clear one and put in the FANCY LED blinker in the socket and tested it...

WELLLLLLLLLLL it works but it flashes at TWICE the speed it used too. I had a clue this might happen as when i unpacked the new lights it came with some inline resistors.

My problem is i have NO idea where to put them to get them to work.. The package didnt come with anything telling me how to install them and i go back to the site and i have know idea how to navigate the site.

Maybe this should be sent to Tightwad for his Electrical knowledge or maybe a fellow Canuck from back east might be able to read the site a bit better,,,,

Here are some pictures of the lights and the resistor they sent.

gallery_10931_3672_104572.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

img]http://www.vfrdiscus..._3672_12843.jpg[/img]

IMG_0404.jpg

gallery_10931_3672_463398.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

gallery_10931_3672_90012.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

and the link to the site

http://www.2a4.fr/description.php?lang=1&path=905&sort=Id&page=0&id=1889&search_query=vfr&a=b

The resistors are used to load the system so that the flasher relay will work properly, as if you still had incandescent lamps installed. I would suggest replacing your flasher relay with one that is compatible with LED turn signals. Since LEDs draw so much less current, the relay has to be one that triggers at a lower amp rating.

• Member Contributer

Well i finally desided to change out my old lenses with new clear ones , Well i found a site in FRANCE that sold them with LED lights built in.

I tried my best to use Google translator to make sure that they would fit correctly and it did say from 2002 up so i bought them and waited.......

They arrived yesterday and this morning i started the installation of the NEW farkles.

I Installed the rear first and it went pretty smoothly except i had to use a knife to trim some tabs to fit my 2004.....

and it went smoothly and everything worked perfectly...

Then onto the front.. I removed the left turn signal lens and replaced it with the new clear one and put in the FANCY LED blinker in the socket and tested it...

WELLLLLLLLLLL it works but it flashes at TWICE the speed it used too. I had a clue this might happen as when i unpacked the new lights it came with some inline resistors.

My problem is i have NO idea where to put them to get them to work.. The package didnt come with anything telling me how to install them and i go back to the site and i have know idea how to navigate the site.

Maybe this should be sent to Tightwad for his Electrical knowledge or maybe a fellow Canuck from back east might be able to read the site a bit better,,,,

Here are some pictures of the lights and the resistor they sent.

gallery_10931_3672_104572.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

img]http://www.vfrdiscus..._3672_12843.jpg[/img]

IMG_0404.jpg

gallery_10931_3672_463398.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

gallery_10931_3672_90012.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

and the link to the site

http://www.2a4.fr/de...h_query=vfr&a=b

Coderighter has LED signals installed on his '06. You might PM him and ask how he has it set up. Here's his write up on it:

http://www.vfrdiscus...__1#entry668170

BTW - at the PNW meet you inspired me to get the HID headlight kit. Finally got 'em put in. I'm really impressed.

• Member Contributer

please get rid of those resistors.they make having leds totally pointless.

You say to get rid of them but U dont say why or what to do instead?

There abouts to you think i should try to install them before or after the relay...in the front or rear signals???????

Coderider is on a 06 and i beleive they have different light setups. Not sure his will be much help.

It would help if I had a little more detail as to how the replacement bulb is constructed. I checked the link and while I read french, it has nothing technical to say.

IF the bulb is a direct drop-in, then there is a series resistance integrated in the bulb assembly, which would me the honking 25Watt resistors supplied are used to load the timer circuit for the correct blinking rate. You probably noticed on many vehicles (ref. cars) the flashers speed up when one of the pair (front back) is opened. This is because the timing circuit uses the current from BOTH lights.

I suspect you need to put the the 25W resistors in PARALLEL to (directly across the new bulb terminal, as in connected to both sides) the light.

The other scenario is that the 25W (6 ohm) resistor is used to limit the current through the LED bulb, and would have to be connected in SERIES (in line with bulb, as in one side to feed line other to bulb terminal) with the bulb. High intensity LEDs are around 3volt forward drop, but I don't know how the array (there are always many on a replacement bulb) of LEDs is configured, so I don't know how much current will flow if resistor is put in series.

The safest way is to put in series, and try blinking bulb. If they give off very weak light, then it should be in parallel. Try series connection first, because you can't damage the LEDs with too little current, they just won't shine very bright.

Hope it helps.

Brian

edit: 25W resistor in parallel makes sense because a 6 ohm resistor on a 12V circuit will give 12 x 12 / 6 = 24W and if it blinks at a 50% duty cycle then the net power will be 24 x 0.5 = 12W which is the standard derating for maximum power that should be used for a natural convection resistor (i.e. 12W on a 25W resistor)

• Member Contributer

+1 on replacing the flasher relay with an electronic version. We sell them at the shop to LED-upgraders all the time. We sell K&S 2- and 3-prong versions. I think they are about 12 bucks.

please get rid of those resistors.they make having leds totally pointless.

You say to get rid of them but U dont say why or what to do instead?

There abouts to you think i should try to install them before or after the relay...in the front or rear signals???????

Coderider is on a 06 and i beleive they have different light setups. Not sure his will be much help.

Lots of folks change to led's not for the aesthetic, but to save some amperage they're using. With older bikes like my CB550, changing to leds can save several amps over the stock bulbs which is pretty signifigant. On the newer bikes not so much. If you get the led's and wire in the resistor, you just cancelled out any amperage savings you would've had with the bulbs alone. Using the led rated flasher can fix this, I THINK.

• Member Contributer

I found the answers here a while ago when I did my own conversion. Three prong relays are available to work with leds at local parts stores. I've read that two prong relays will work, but I don't know.

In fact, typing the words VFRD LED RELAY into the google brings up my thread as the very first hit... :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I had LED signals on my old VF500. All 4 signals, and the rear brake lights.

I didn't install the load resistors because I wanted the signals to blink fast. It was more eye grabbing and I wanted to be sure everyone around knew I was turning.

^^ That may be the reason why I went through signal relays so fast :comp13:

I'm pretty sure though that those Resistors go between the Signal housing and the wiring harness. Not sure which wires but you can always just go by process of elimination.

• Member Contributer

I had LED signals on my old VF500. All 4 signals, and the rear brake lights.

I didn't install the load resistors because I wanted the signals to blink fast. It was more eye grabbing and I wanted to be sure everyone around knew I was turning.

^^ That may be the reason why I went through signal relays so fast :comp13:

I'm pretty sure though that those Resistors go between the Signal housing and the wiring harness. Not sure which wires but you can always just go by process of elimination.

i Have ordered some elect signal flashers and will try them out first as that is the best solution. Then ill have to go the other routes.

• Member Contributer

If the relay doesn't work (this is really the best route), your other method would be to use the resistors they supplied. To use them you'll need to plug the yellow wire into the hot side and the black wire into the ground side. You'll need to do this for each flasher circuit (L & R). I'd do this wherever you have the most room and easiest access.

-Jake

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on upgrading the flasher, although you will have to potentially modify any flasher as the VFR doesn't use a standard over the counter flasher I don't believe. Coderighter modified his, but the modification would be different on a 2006+ bike as noted previously.

Archived