I want to get an aftermarket shock......

spaceman

• Member Contributer

.....that is sprung for my weight (230lbs). I want something simple, that will bolt right on, and not outrageously expensive! I don't do track days, not an aggressive rider....just cruising, some twisties, and short tours (1-2 days max). I always ride solo as well, and at some point my get hard bags. Suggestions?

• Member Contributer

.....that is sprung for my weight (230lbs). I want something simple, that will bolt right on, and not outrageously expensive! I don't do track days, not an aggressive rider....just cruising, some twisties, and short tours (1-2 days max). I always ride solo as well, and at some point my get hard bags. Suggestions?

I went with a CBR F4i from ebay for $50 shipped, plus rebuilt and resprung to my weight by jamie daugherty ($250?). All I needed was a 1/2" stack of washers on the bolt when I installed it and it fit right in. Since you're solo all the time the incredible PITA that preload adjustment now is won't matter much. Set it once and ride. I'm not sure if ABS will cause problems though.

I went with a CBR F4i from ebay for $50 shipped, plus rebuilt and resprung to my weight by jamie daugherty ($250?). All I needed was a 1/2" stack of washers on the bolt when I installed it and it fit right in. Since you're solo all the time the incredible PITA that preload adjustment now is won't matter much. Set it once and ride. I'm not sure if ABS will cause problems though.

Good suggestion and Jamie or another shop setting up a F4i shock and you could use the ABS's Factory pre-load adjuster on the F4i shock and just use a shorter spring.

I would be looking for a 22-24kg rear spring for your 230lbs. :biggrin:

BR

• Member Contributer

Good suggestion and Jamie or another shop setting up a F4i shock and you could use the ABS's Factory pre-load adjuster on the F4i shock and just use a shorter spring.

I would be looking for a 22-24kg rear spring for your 230lbs. :biggrin:

BR

What if I drop 15 to 20 lbs over the next year.....will the spring still be ok for that weight? Is Jamie accessible through this forum, and what are the advantages of the F4i shock? Thanks

What if I drop 15 to 20 lbs over the next year.....will the spring still be ok for that weight? Is Jamie accessible through this forum, and what are the advantages of the F4i shock? Thanks

If you plan to drop and stay at a lower weight then just go to the lighter end of the optional scale. I run a 19kg on one VFR and a 20kg on my other VFR(both Vtecs) and weigh 190lbs, stock is 15.3 kg.

A F4i shock has both Comp & Rebound adjustments along with a remote reservoir where as the stock VFR shock only has half aszed rebound adjustment. This way you can have a fully adjustable shock valved & sprung for your weight for less than 1/2 the price of any other aftermarket shock.

JamieDaughtery (?) is his member name, if your close to another reputable suspension shop you can check with them also.

I would strongly recommend you run .95 or 1.0 kg front fork springs with this set-up. :fing02:

BR

Do you like to piddle with suspension(alot)? if not and you can find(easy task on fleabay) and old penske,or ohlins 3 or 4 way for about $250 then just send it to cogent(comes to mind) and have it reconfigured for the vfr valved and sprung.

I had a gxr 750 4 way penske re-done for a vfr for $200, little muss or fuss, i paid $125 for the shock on the bay.

If you want a great shock Wilbers are "Reasonable" for a high end suspender, and if ya order it giving them a real world view of your riding requirements You will be rewarded with "Brilliant suspension"

• Member Contributer

Do you like to piddle with suspension(alot)? if not and you can find(easy task on fleabay) and old penske,or ohlins 3 or 4 way for about $250 then just send it to cogent(comes to mind) and have it reconfigured for the vfr valved and sprung.

I had a gxr 750 4 way penske re-done for a vfr for $200, little muss or fuss, i paid $125 for the shock on the bay.

If you want a great shock Wilbers are "Reasonable" for a high end suspender, and if ya order it giving them a real world view of your riding requirements You will be rewarded with "Brilliant suspension"

No, I don't want to piddle with suspension. Don't mind learning a little something along the way, but more interested in "setting and forgetting" once installed.

• Member Contributer

As BaileyRock said, you will definately want to upgrade the front suspension as well.

Yeah, at some point I will have someone do this for me. But for now, I want to look for an F4i shock and need to know what year to keep an eye out for.

• Member Contributer

Spend the $100 and at least toss in a set of fork springs along with the modded F4i shock. :fing02:

Save a few bucks here:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25_126&osCsid=062c5b0862f94a6a0139ddbc18270121

• Member Contributer

JamieDaughtery (?) is his member name

Close enough! I agree that a modified F4/F4i shock is a very good way to get similar performance at a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket race shock.

As mentioned, rounding out the setup front-rear is not required but advised for best results.

Secured my F4i shock for $40 and it will be on its way to Jamie for revalve and respring. Thanks for the help guys.

+1 on doing both ends..

I got a ? for jamieD.

Are you using custom springs for these or off the shelf with adapters from lke racetech.

Cant remember which but Either Eibach or Wilbur (Which ever is located in california) will make a custom spring to your desired spring weight and you wont need adapters.

Im about to have another F4I shock made up for my 06 VFR and plan to go with a 21kg this time. The F4I shock I got in there now is a 18kg, No adapters, preload set on 3 but is just a tad weak for my 230 lbs.

Im about to have another F4I shock made up for my 06 VFR and plan to go with a 21kg this time. The F4I shock I got in there now is a 18kg, No adapters, preload set on 3 but is just a tad weak for my 230 lbs.

A tad! I'm running a 20kg at 190lbs! :biggrin:

A tad! I'm running a 20kg at 190lbs! :biggrin:

Its only noticable on Deep dips (bottoms out lightly) or 2up (the front pushes) w/ 1.0 front sonic springs. Not a Bad setup if your braking hard INTO the turn-in/corner. I have just been waiting to upgrade again when this one was about wore out.

Depending on J.D. answer I may send the spare I got a few weeks ago to SHY Racing Susp in nashville again. The thought of using adapter pacers for the spring just doesnt thrill me.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/ViewAlbum.aspx?a=748019

To the OP.

You can have a fairly compliant suspension front and rear for under $1000 easily.

F4I rear shock, Can make adjustable ride height with a longer bolt and washers in top mount.

Sonic springs in front forks.

F4 rebound valve, fork cap, adj rod finishes out the front forks nicely.

• Member Contributer

I got a ? for jamieD.

Are you using custom springs for these or off the shelf with adapters from lke racetech.

I use standard springs that fit without adapters. For your weight (230lb) I'd suggest a 1200lb/in spring. Let me know if you need anything else!

I got a ? for jamieD.

I use standard springs that fit without adapters. For your weight (230lb) I'd suggest a 1200lb/in spring. Let me know if you need anything else!

and that is ? converted to KG's

Archived