Powder coating wheel

Knute

• Member Contributer

Can anyone give me a ballpark number as to how much to expect to shell out to have a wheel powder coated?

I just had 9 parts on my bike powder-coated, and the total was $97. Now, those parts were each smaller than a wheel, but combined approximately twice the surface area of one wheel. I'd say for one wheel, anywhere from $50 to $100 would be fair. It depends on the powder coater. If it's less than $50, jump on it. If it's over $100, look around some more, although if there's only one game in town you might be stuck with a higher price. If someone is quoting you a super-high price — $250 or something ridiculous like that — I think they're probably trying to rip you off. Check out places online where you can send your wheel to them. Even with shipping, the cost shouldn't be terrible. Hope this helps. I'm sure, though, that you'll get some replies from guys who have powder-coated their wheels, and they can give you some exact prices. Good luck. Everyone here will expect pictures when you get your new powder-coated wheels on your bike.

• Member Contributer

Can anyone give me a ballpark number as to how much to expect to shell out to have a wheel powder coated?

I'll make a call this afternoon, I have heard there is someone that has started powder coating wheels and such in northern Iowa for what sounded pretty affordable. $30 -50 if I remember correctly.

My local guy charges $100 per set if you bring them to them bare (no bearings, valve stems, etc). He strips them, powdercoats and clear coats. If you want the centers one color and the edges another color I think it is $140 a set.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback guys. That gives me a good idea of what to expect, again thanks.

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I had mine done locally and it was $200 for both wheels and that included taking off the old paint. I didn't think it was too bad. Excellent job.

LeftSide.jpg

Sanded, wraped tyres in some old newspaper, $5 rattle can royal blue. It came out decent but I saved myself time and aggravation when the coating begins to flake.

I tell ya, since I sold those Staintunes that came with the bike, I've paid for registration & insurance, bought some things for the VFR, ice cream & bubble gum and I still have a few bucks left over!

post-16912-0-47419500-1302894852_thumb.j

post-16912-0-20279600-1302894889_thumb.j

post-16912-0-01095700-1302894978_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

I had mine done locally and it was $200 for both wheels and that included taking off the old paint. I didn't think it was too bad. Excellent job.

LeftSide.jpg

Still my favorite wheel color for the red 5th gen! :fing02:

(And I think you're the only one who's done it!)

And it would cost me about $300 locally for both wheels.

• Member Contributer

Probably doesn't help you but there's a place in Costa Mesa CA where they charge $55/wheel. Found them on Craigslist. Did a great job on the 8 spoke rear wheel I bought. Gloss black like the front.

• Member Contributer

LeftSide.jpg

(And I think you're the only one who's done it!)

And it would cost me about $300 locally for both wheels.

Thanks, I really like it. :cheerleader:

• 1 month later...

I have done tons of car wheels, my guy is usually in the $75 - $100 range

I have sometimes paid a bit more, but that was specifically because of the powder

I have this thing for unusual colors and NEC Industries powders are very costly, way more than the basic colors

I know some people are always there to extol the virtues of a spray can, but for me, powder is just so much better and stronger, and worth every penny

I'll be doing mine this winter, for now I just touched them up with black paint and a little brush

My VFR is of course yellow, so I'm looking into a deep rich black base with a tiny light gold or yellow flake

LeftSide.jpg

Ok, no way, you seem to forget, not all GEN5 bikes are red

Those red wheels would in my mind look retarded on my yellow bike

:biggrin:

• Member Contributer

LeftSide.jpg

Ok, no way, you seem to forget, not all GEN5 bikes are red

Those red wheels would in my mind look retarded on my yellow bike

:biggrin:

Never seen yellow wheels on any bike, might be an interesting combo. I have a spare 8 spoke waiting for the red powder, just need to track down a spare SP2 front wheel!

Archived