Ready for a change...

Guest VFOr

000cnycolor.jpg

Something like this will do.

Experienced a powerful urge for a road trip, a nice contrast to the typical rides at home. The PNW is fantastic, but I wanted a trip to the desert and the unique scenery it affords. Utah sounds excellent. Vacation request was approved, just needed to get the VFR ready: mount the new Avons, rebuild the stock seat, build a mount for the Sears top case, and make repairs to melted connectors and wires that leave me feeling confident to make a solo trip through the high lonesome. Check.

Time to hit the road, 4th of July departure on a RWB motorcycle = good karma.

Planned route is a diagonal across Oregon, backroads to Twin Falls Id, a bit of slab to Salt Lake City, and across Ut to Moab. Spend a couple of days sightseeing in Arches Natl Monument and Canyonlands park.

01bustinout.jpg

Nobody but me and thease cayuses in eastern Oregon, roll on the throttle and make some good time.

02ponies.jpg

Get to Moab in time for an evening visit to Dead Horse park.

03adh.jpg

Wanted to catch the sunrise in Arches, swill a couple of brews in Moab at lunch, then head to Canyonlands later in the evening for a sunset.

04aarchsup.jpg

04threegossips.jpg

05archrd2.jpg

Fossilized sand dunes

06dunez3.jpg

This young lady pulled into the same turnout where I was watching the sunrise, she had a very nice camera.

07nicecam.jpg

This spot made me think of my old boss, hey Jerome!

08jerome2.jpg

Catching the late sun in Canyonlands.

09cnynoverlook.jpg

10vfrsundown.jpg

Departing Moab via CO Hwy 141

11141chillin.jpg

Welcome rainstorm on the way to Vernal, Ut.

13showers.jpg

Coming off of South Pass into Lander, Wyo.

14lander.jpg

Leaving Shoshone headed for Themopolis, 6th gear VTEC and beyond!

15vtechigear.jpg

Wind River Canyon

16windriver.jpg

Twixt Dead Indian Pass and Beartooth

17cookin.jpg

18beartoof.jpg

15 miles of these and you've got the Rattlesnake grade.

19rattleroll.jpg

Roll into Enterprise OR and point it for home. Can hardly wait for next year.

20wallowahh.jpg

!st off, thx for the pic's....... That Grand canyon shoot was the best I've seen. What ridge were you(I've only been to the sr)? I also like Utah's Arches Natl Monument and Canyonlands park as well...... You take really nice pic's(gives me ideas).

Tyre question, since 80% looks like straight roads(as for as tyre wear goes). What shape was you tyre in when you left, and how was it when you got back? How many miles was the trip? .... Thanks.

!st off, thx for the pic's....... That Grand canyon shoot was the best I've seen. What ridge were you(I've only been to the sr)? I also like Utah's Arches Natl Monument and Canyonlands park as well...... You take really nice pic's(gives me ideas).

Tyre question, since 80% looks like straight roads(as for as tyre wear goes). What shape was you tyre in when you left, and how was it when you got back? How many miles was the trip? .... Thanks.

Fantastic trip pics! I think I've found the right moto-community for sure, people who like to throw the leg over and forget about how cool you look in town, hit the highway and go see great stuff like this. Thanks for sharing. I too am curious about the tyres, and what brand/model they are. I'm planning a trip this summer, Iowa to Colorado and back, and will need new rubber within two weeks. How many miles you got on them?

Also, is that an Alaska Leather Buttpad? Looks like you're using your stock seat, does it help?

Great write up.

Some excellent shots of the buttes and rock formations of Utah.

I was really blown away by how scenic and beautiful Utah is.

I spent four days touring about through the vistas - it's a must ride area of the US for sure.

• Member Contributer

You definitely have an eye for the pictures. Good angles, lighting, and natural effects. Very well done. Thanks for sharing. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

VFOr-

I always enjoy your pics. I used the one of your bike parked on the bluff above the coast line as a screen saver. Where was that taken out? I'd like to stop there on my next coast ride.

Thanks for sharing !

• Member Contributer

VFOr,

Great Pic's :biggrin: , looks as though I am going to have to plan a trip down there, the scenery is outstanding!

My wife Susan ("Flying Ant") are leaving for a Colorado, Mt. Rushmore, Beartooth Pass loop in August ... right after the PNW Summer VFR Rally in Troutdale, OR.

Your loop and pics have given me more ideas about out loop route. Might just have to make some alterations. :^)

What was your total mileage? How many days? And what was your typical mileage on a typical day?

Tthanks! E-Ticket

Thanks for the comments, it was great to finally get the VFR out for an extended trip, I broke a bunch of bones crashing another motorcycle shortly after I purchased the VFR and its taken about 3 yrs to get feeling fit enough to wander around solo with a loaded bike. The VFR was awesome, nary a mechanical or electrical hiccup, rode in comfort with a decent sized load, had a lot of fun in the mountain twisties and did a bunch of high speed miles.

To answer a few questions, I mounted new Avon Storms immediately prior to taking the trip, put roughly 3800 miles on this trip. I have gotten between 6-7000 miles on previous Storms and expect about the same from these. I spent 8 days on the road and averaged around 450mi/day. Took a couple of days off in the middle of the trip visiting family in Wyo.

The sheepskin is one I cut from a seat cover my wife picked up at a yard sale for $5. It makes a big difference in comfort especially in hot weather, but I also did a DIY seat rebuild using various foam pads I've collected just for motorcycle seats. The combination was a huge improvement for riding long days.

The ocean overlook pic (avatar) is taken on Oregon's Cape Lookout just south of Tillamook.

Thanks again for the comments and to everyone who contributes to this site, great having such a useful resource to get out and use your VFR for whatever floats your boat.

Thanks for the comments, it was great to finally get the VFR out for an extended trip, I broke a bunch of bones crashing another motorcycle shortly after I purchased the VFR and its taken about 3 yrs to get feeling fit enough to wander around solo with a loaded bike. The VFR was awesome, nary a mechanical or electrical hiccup, rode in comfort with a decent sized load, had a lot of fun in the mountain twisties and did a bunch of high speed miles.

To answer a few questions, I mounted new Avon Storms immediately prior to taking the trip, put roughly 3800 miles on this trip. I have gotten between 6-7000 miles on previous Storms and expect about the same from these. I spent 8 days on the road and averaged around 450mi/day. Took a couple of days off in the middle of the trip visiting family in Wyo.

The sheepskin is one I cut from a seat cover my wife picked up at a yard sale for $5. It makes a big difference in comfort especially in hot weather, but I also did a DIY seat rebuild using various foam pads I've collected just for motorcycle seats. The combination was a huge improvement for riding long days.

The ocean overlook pic (avatar) is taken on Oregon's Cape Lookout just south of Tillamook.

Thanks again for the comments and to everyone who contributes to this site, great having such a useful resource to get out and use your VFR for whatever floats your boat.

Amen, bro.....! :fing02:

You know I thought I recognized the background in one of your shots... here's the same one with the wife ("Flying Ant") on her 600 F4i overlooking the Beartooth valley.

What a cool place it was!

2005_Sabbatical_PartDeux063.jpg

We really need to go have a beer and share some notes about our respective trips.

I think you could add some enhancements to our next one in August.

Cheers! E-Ticket (Sellwood, Portland, Oregon)

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear what others are using. Ride Safe!

Archived