Riding on public roads.

Monk

The Harley Question on passing seemed to draw some attention. But everyone pretty much stayed on topic. I'd like to open this new thread with some more discussion on riding the roads, but would like to hear about anything you wish to bring up. As long as it's related to riding safely. Not bashing types of bikes, but you're welcome to bash the way people ride, as long as it doesn't name, names(get personal). There are plenty of riders that do and don't ride the way some of us like or don't like. Let's hear it!

I've always been a "waver", but as we in the U.S. are catching up with the world, by having a lot more bikes on the road. I'm starting to back off on waving due to the same reason I don't rubber neck in general. Our fellow country men all over the world seem to not do this as much, I know coming around a turn that has a pack of bikes coming around toward me would reguire holding out my hand for a long time.... Now when I do wave I'm getting to where I just lift 4 fingers on my clutch hand and leaving my hand on the grip.

Following(or being followed)to close is one of my pet peeves, another is people that don't signal, or they do signal but not long enough for it to do anyone else any good. I don't have any problems changing lanes and still be able to give 4/5 blinks before I even touch the line, it does require thinking about my next move way ahead of my move.

Riding using all of my lane to my advantage, specially now days with more people wondering out of their lanes more than ever due to phones.

I have plenty more but I'd like to hear some from you as well... Hopefully we can learn a few things to keep us ride safer........

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hi Monk:

The book by Pat Hahn, "Ride Hard, Ride Smart" is a great read, and he's a fellow VFR rider ('met' him on the VF/VFR Email list years ago).

One of his techniques that I use is the 'soft lane change'. Essentially, signal for the lane change, move to the side of YOUR lane closest to the 'new' lane, check behind and mirrors, then move 'just over' into the new lane. This gives you the largest buffer in case someone decides to dive into your new lane. Then slowly adjust in your new lane to where you are normally comfortable riding.

The book is a great read, not dry at all, especially good for those of us that are risk averse. It is not a 'go faster' book, but more of a "How do I increase my safety margin on the street" book.

(I have a signed copy ;) )

-trav

trav, i do that too...seems to work and makes sense.

the no signal thing is the worst. you get behind a row of cars no the back roads, and you start to line up your pass and then without notice, they bang the brakes and turn left...i havent been caught out by this, but it has been close a couple of times :fing02:

Crap on the road - step ladders, tire carcasses/treads, dead opossums, one shoe (why is it always just one shoe, why is it never a pair of shoes?), gravel, etc, etc, etc.

The interstates are the nastiest places.

Crap on the road - step ladders, tire carcasses/treads, dead opossums, one shoe (why is it always just one shoe, why is it never a pair of shoes?), gravel, etc, etc, etc.

The interstates are the nastiest places.

Let me add, ANVIL. Yes once saw an anvil lying in the middle of the boulevard. This is why following too closely can be disasterous. A car suddenly sees the anvil, straddles it, it comes out from underneath the back of the car and the bike following too closely hits it and down everything comes.

I've also noticed a distinct lack of interest by more and more motorists in signaling. I guess it's not convenient anymore to signal. Another peeve is following sports cars with wide tires. Not the fast ones but the ones that somebody got because they were going through a mid-life crisis or something. When you hit some nice twisties and come up behind a Porsche or Vette or some such animal and the driver is impersonating Mr. Magoo meets Grandma Cratchit you have to wonder why they would bother buying a car that can out handle my bike in the twisties, but then turn as if they are afraid to roll the darn thing. It's annoying as good twisties are fleeting and rare.

No 1 pet peeve. MiniVans!

I've developed an early warning system -

First hint that something could potentially go wrong - drivers of minivans, and for some reason, high-end BMW - erratic behavior, lack of awareness and concern for others - I stay well away

Slight weaving, odd motion in the lane by a car - guaranteed to be someone on their cellphone - if they are that concerned about their phone call, they aren't paying attention to me - I stay well away

Other tips - I now wear a fluorescent green riding vest for visibility which helps.

I've also started wearing a back protector (even in the city) - you never know when 'that' accident may happen.

If your 'spidey senses' are tingling - there's likely something going on and you should avoid the situation.

trav, i do that too...seems to work and makes sense.

the no signal thing is the worst. you get behind a row of cars no the back roads, and you start to line up your pass and then without notice, they bang the brakes and turn left...i havent been caught out by this, but it has been close a couple of times :fing02:

That just happened to one of our members last week, in most cases he doesn't pass when a driveway is showing, but in this case it was one that dropped off the side of the road and he couldn't see it. He followed to left turner so as not to hit him, great skills.

But that is a good point you make.... Not to pass if there's a place for the person you're passing can make a left in front of you..... Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Talk about crap on the road. I guess I'll have to say Suburbans. Granted, it doesn't happen all that often, but if you slam into one, you will remember to be weary of them.

Oh, and i hate highways in general. Riding in straight line at high speed has a way of seeping all the energy out of me.

People that mow their lawn, blowing the grass that should have been mowed 2 weeks ago into a turn. Idiots. Obviously not riders.

• Member Contributer

Talk about crap on the road. I guess I'll have to say Suburbans. Granted, it doesn't happen all that often, but if you slam into one, you will remember to be weary of them.

Oh, and i hate highways in general. Riding in straight line at high speed has a way of seeping all the energy out of me.

Avoid Alberta

• Member Contributer

I won't follow a vehicle I can not easily see beyond.

Mac

• Member Contributer

It's hard not to dwell on the negative and horrible images like have

been around since the dawn of the motor age... instead take time like

Monk suggest for something positive... like an MSF review of our

riding skills...

Night Riding Tips:

Quite often you'll have to ride at night. After all, it is dark 50

percent of the time.

Dusk is really the worst time, when people's eyes are adjusting from

daylight to headlights. Be especially careful just after sunset.

Usually it is advisable to slow down a little when riding at night,

especially on any sort of winding road.

Use your own headlight and those of other traffic to keep an eye on

the road surface. It is more difficult at night to see the patch of

sand or something that fell out of a pickup.

The distance between you and the vehicle in front becomes even more

important at night. Give yourself room to react.

Wear a clear face shield without scratches. A scratched shield can

create light refraction that might confuse you; two headlights can

look like four, and you don't know who is coming from where. One of

your biggest hazards at night may be a "who" coming from a few hours

of drinking. Be especially alert for drivers and vehicles doing odd

things, like weaving in and out of traffic, and give them lots of

room.

Braking tips:

In the best of all worlds the temperature would always be 78 degrees,

the wind would be at our backs, and no emergencies would arise. Since

it is a slightly imperfect world we live in, we should be prepared for

whatever happens.

Sometimes you have to stop as quickly as possible. Here are some tips

on how to get you and your motorcycle halted pronto:

Apply both brakes to their maximum, just short of locking them up.

Practice in an open, good-surfaced place, such as a clean parking lot.

Keep the motorcycle upright and traveling in a straight line; and look

where you're going, not where you've just been.

You don't want to lock the front brake. If the wheel does chirp,

release the brake for a split second, then immediately reapply without

locking it up.

If your rear wheel locks up, do not release the brake. If your

handlebars are straight, you will skid in a straight line, which is

all right. You have a more important priority and that is to get

stopped!

Passing Tips:

The technique for passing another vehicle is the same whether you are

riding a motorcycle or driving a car. First, before passing, you

should be two (or more) seconds behind the vehicle you want to pass,

and have positioned yourself in the left-hand side of your lane. From

this position, you have to check oncoming traffic and the road to make

sure you have enough distance to pass safely. Don't even think about

overtaking if a corner is coming up.

• Member Contributer

I've developed an early warning system -

First hint that something could potentially go wrong - drivers of minivans, and for some reason, high-end BMW - erratic behavior, lack of awareness and concern for others - I stay well away

Slight weaving, odd motion in the lane by a car - guaranteed to be someone on their cellphone - if they are that concerned about their phone call, they aren't paying attention to me - I stay well away

Other tips - I now wear a fluorescent green riding vest for visibility which helps.

I've also started wearing a back protector (even in the city) - you never know when 'that' accident may happen.

If your 'spidey senses' are tingling - there's likely something going on and you should avoid the situation.

Mike,

Great idea to wear that fluorescent green vest. I got one too and, even though I have yet to break it in--not been on the road yet, just ran into some electrical snag...--I do believe that it makes us more visible and, hence, safer. Now, I don't mind mini-vans, but those BMW (I loe them, just not the drivers!!!) and other sport cars that are just dangerous to everyone when they are not paying attention and when they drag race when the light turns green, changing lanes in the process and all. Yup, seen it, had one close call and didn't like it at all.

In any case, I can't believe that things like an anvil can be found on the road... That is just insane.

C

Avoid Alberta

:fing02:

I'll take the route through the city, and hit groat road or something, just avoid Anthony Henday, even if its faster

• Member Contributer

Use your own headlight and those of other traffic to keep an eye on

the road surface. It is more difficult at night to see the patch of

sand or something that fell out of a pickup.

In a similar vane, use the brake lights of other traffic to your advantage. (Day or night.) If you are scanning far ahead and you see a flash of brake lights, you may want to roll off the throttle and be on the look out for the cause of the brake lights. (Pot hole, deer on the side of the road, etc.) May also be a good time to touch the brakes to get the driver behind you to pay attention too.

• Member Contributer

...one shoe (why is it always just one shoe, why is it never a pair of shoes?)...

Two shoes are reserved for tying together and throwing up and onto telephone, cable TV, and power lines. It's a rule. I've never known anyone brave enough to break it.

• Member Contributer

Make sure you can see the road in front of the vehicles ahead of you. Best to follow in their tracks, not the middle of the road. There's nothing quite like being behind a big ol' tractor-trailer rig when a deer carcass suddenly appears in front of you. Scared the shite out of me!

• Member Contributer

No matter how low cut the girl's top is that's in the lane beside you, do not continue to stare. You will hit something and die.

• Member Contributer

I find it pays to protect your space. I typically ride left of center, but will move right to prevent merging traffic from trying to share my lane. Works well when 2 lanes become 1.

• Member Contributer

Don't ride along side another vehicle if you can help it. Get past them as soon as possible. If you linger too long, they will forget you are there (if they ever saw you in the first place) and eventually change lanes right into you. Also, you don't want a big fat ol' tractor trailer blowing the recap tread off and into you. It will take you down. For whatever reason, I can't seem to get this through my brother's head. Maybe a lobotomy is called for.

• Member Contributer

No matter how low cut the girl's top is that's in the lane beside you, do not continue to stare. You will hit something and die.

That's what helmet cams are for aren't they? You can take a quick glance and pause it later at home. :fing02:

Sometimes it's very hard not to be a rubber neck.....

Left lane bandits are annoying too, for those unfamiliar with the term it's those people that insist on driving in the left lane and refuse to move over to let traffic pass. I'm 25 minutes from the Border, and for some reason it seems the Majority of them are US drivers. I wonder if Canadians return the favour in NY lol.

And like quite a few others I'd add people that don't signal.

• Member Contributer

you don't want a big fat ol' tractor trailer blowing the recap tread off and into you. It will take you down.

I was about 10 car lenghts behind a semi when the recap blew. Sounded like a bomb went off. The entire tread came off in one piece and must have travelled 30-40 feet in the air before coming back to earth. It gave me a healthy respect for can happen. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Left lane bandits are annoying too

Be careful passing them on the right. They have a bad habit of seeing you in the mirror at the last moment and moving right just when you have finally decided to make the pass after following them for miles. You are better off moving to the right lane before you catch them and then quickly completing the pass.

Archived