Aluminum or Carbon Fiber

Graves

OK all, I'm trying to decide if I should go with the Aluminum and save some money or go all out with the Carbon Fiber exhaust system for My VFR. This is in reference to this DEAL in The Bargain finder section.

Is there any real advantage with going with carbon Fiber over Aluminum? Weight of the unit isn't much of an issue as the rider(Me) could stand to lose a pound or fifty as well.

Is one easier to maintain then the other? Is there a big difference in sound quality? Let me know what you all think as I have no experience with Sport bike exhaust, my previous bikes were all cruisers where you just choose the diameter of straight pipe and add Chrome.

Thanks,

CG

The carbon is easier to clean as it'll just take a wipe with a damp rag to get the dirt off - aluminum likes to be shined up at least once a year. On the other hand, the carbon will become UV damaged over time and deteriorate, while the aluminum will last a long, long time.

The carbon will naturally have a bit more "bass" in the tone.

If you don't mind shiny pipes, I'd say go for the aluminum.

I think CF cans on V4s have a "throatier" sound than any metal cans. Plus, dutch said above, CF will be cooler to the touch, so if you ever bungee stuff down (using the passenger pegs as mounting points) or use soft luggage/saddlebags, you're better off with the CF.

OTOH, aluminum will better match the finish of the hardware on your bike, esp. the passenger pegs, etc.

• Member Contributer

If the CF used is high quality, it should take an extremely long time before you see any UV damage. Likely not in the lifetime of the bike.

I have always been partial to carbon fiber. Its lighter, stronger, and doesnt have that tympantic sound metal canisters have. I just purchased a 98 VFR800 a few weeks ago and replaced the existing exhaust with a new Two Brothers carbon fiber custom. The black carbon fiber is a great contrast on the red body and black tires. Plus, if I take my girlfriend for a ride, she wont risk burning her leg on the pipe while getting off.

post-20398-014049700 1276614296_thumb.jp

post-20398-027635000 1276614323_thumb.jp

post-20398-008547700 1276614407_thumb.jp

These photos are actually alittle outdated. Since they were taken, I have replaced all thebolts on the bike with anodized BLACK bolts. Looks much-much better than the silver stock ones.

• Member Contributer

For a 6gen, it's a "no-brainer" decision to go with CF in case you ever want to run soft bags or even hard ones. Even at their warmest, you can touch them without getting burned. Al, or worse, stainless steel will get hotter than hades. I have a set of LV CF 6gen cans that are close to 4 years old and still look new and also still sound great (not blown out). Their CF shell is much thicker than a couple of other brands I've had. As I pointed out in that bargain finder thread, I found a set of LV aluminum cans for dirt cheap for my speed triple but if it weren't for that price I would have gladly ponied up for another set of CF pipes instead. :fing02:

For a 6gen, it's a "no-brainer" decision to go with CF in case you ever want to run soft bags or even hard ones. Even at their warmest, you can touch them without getting burned. Al, or worse, stainless steel will get hotter than hades. I have a set of LV CF 6gen cans that are close to 4 years old and still look new and also still sound great (not blown out). Their CF shell is much thicker than a couple of other brands I've had. As I pointed out in that bargain finder thread, I found a set of LV aluminum cans for dirt cheap for my speed triple but if it weren't for that price I would have gladly ponied up for another set of CF pipes instead. :fing02:

I have the same cans and I'd agree. I run soft bags and the heat has never been an issue. They never get hot to the touch and I think they sound the best which is the main reason I put them on. With slip-ons it's not a performance decision, it's about look, sound and function. IMO carbon is the best choice. :fing02:

post-19162-038358200 1276658534_thumb.jp

• Member Contributer

I also have a Carbon can. Like some other guys say the best feature is its never hot to the touch. The super light weight is a plus too. Mine came with the bike when I bought it but I like it enuff not to go shopping for something else.

Carbon definitely sounds better, but aluminium dents and carbon explodes.

Please do explain more.

Mostly I'm agreeing that since Exhaust systems only bring about a tiny bit of power gain for the VFR, looks and sound are more important. For that reason I am leaning more to carbon fiber.

Carbon definitely sounds better, but aluminium dents and carbon explodes.

Please do explain more.

Mostly I'm agreeing that since Exhaust systems only bring about a tiny bit of power gain for the VFR, looks and sound are more important. For that reason I am leaning more to carbon fiber.

I'm pretty sure Timmy meant that if you drop the bike, the carbon has a better chance of needing replacement vs repair.

I just put a Remus high mount CF can on my '98 & it is awesome. Looks great being high mount, doesn't get hot & sounds amazing..........REALLY amazing :)

I just finalized the order for the Carbon Fiber system. So hopefully in about 1.5 weeks I'll have photos and a sound clip / video for every one to drool over.

Can't Wait! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I just finalized the order for the Carbon Fiber system. So hopefully in about 1.5 weeks I'll have photos and a sound clip / video for every one to drool over.

Can't Wait! :fing02:

Carbon Fibre FTW.

gallery_17747_4739_156679.jpg

I just put a Remus high mount CF can on my '98 & it is awesome. Looks great being high mount, doesn't get hot & sounds amazing..........REALLY amazing :)

Where did you pick that up, and how much did you pay? I'm trying to decide between finding a Micron can or just saving a bit more and going with a Remus.

Where did you pick that up, and how much did you pay? I'm trying to decide between finding a Micron can or just saving a bit more and going with a Remus.

Picked it up off Ebay here in Oz for AU$450 with link pipe. Brand new in the box. Just trying to find out now if I NEED to run a PC with it or not...ie will it run lean, etc (?)

Archived