Burnt Connectors

Knife

• Member Contributer

I go for a nice two-up ride this morning, and on the way back home notice my voltmeter is showing less than 12v at speed. I get home, take the rear fairing off, and this is what I find. Can't believe the bike still starts!

med_gallery_12878_5047_1317899.jpg

med_gallery_12878_5047_889432.jpg

I have a newish R/R and a VFRness (maybe 7,500 miles on both). I have to get this fixed; I have a trip planned for two weeks from now. I'll search for the topic here, but if anyone can point me to the right/best one, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Hmmm. You have a new R/R and a VFRness, and still your connectors have melted!

At this point, it's easy to become stumped. I'm thinking a good approach will be a MOSFET regulator - the FH012AA from a 2007 or later R1 for example. Follow this up with ensuring all ground connections are good and testing your stator output.

This problem is becoming ridiculously common lately. :-/

• Member Contributer

Cut the bad wires out and splice new ones in. Mine wasn't quite that bad but close about 6 months ago, it's been fine since I patched in new.

wires.jpg

rr_connector_99.jpg

• Member Contributer

Agreed. Crimp connectors with Noalox anti oxidant as a lubricant for the wires and liquid electrical tape to seal the connections. Moisture and corrosion are the main culprits of this burning up connectors. Mine looks similar to above. I've never seen a case of burnt connectors as bad as yours. The set up above works great for me.

The R/R he has is the original style Ricks unit, not the MOSFET style. I haven't seen any burned connections with the MOSFET style yet....but then they are fairly new (barring R1 conversions).

The real question is...do the connections burn because they are the problem, or is there a problem elsewhere and they are the weakspot...rather like having a fuse blow and trying to fix it with a bigger fuse...sure it might not blow but did you just move the problem to a more expensive part? I would love to know the answer to this oft asked question!

Archived