Sena SMH10 Intercom system...anybody have one?

2thdr

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many unit can you pair together? We usually ride 4 of us so if we all have the sena can we all talk together?

Instructions say 4, but it isn't an open chat between 4 people. You have to pick which person to talk to and can only talk with 1 at a time.

I ended up sending my unit back to Sena, but have not got it back yet. The left speaker cutting out was the first issue. A couple of weeks ago I was riding with the MP3 player hard wired to the unit. When I pushed the jog button to talk with my GF, everything was fine until the music came back on, then it was at a reduced volume. If I turned the unit off and back on, it was full volume again. It did this several times throughout the day, so I decided to send it in for repair. I did not have a problem like this when BT'd to my iPhone, only when having the MP3 player hard wired.

• Member Contributer

How many unit can you pair together? We usually ride 4 of us so if we all have the sena can we all talk together?

With the latest units, you can have an open 4-way conversation via Bluetooth and with the new 'hub' you can connect a standard radio and chat with anyone else with a radio.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up sending my unit back to Sena, but have not got it back yet. The left speaker cutting out was the first issue. A couple of weeks ago I was riding with the MP3 player hard wired to the unit. When I pushed the jog button to talk with my GF, everything was fine until the music came back on, then it was at a reduced volume. If I turned the unit off and back on, it was full volume again. It did this several times throughout the day, so I decided to send it in for repair. I did not have a problem like this when BT'd to my iPhone, only when having the MP3 player hard wired.

Got mine back from Sena. They not only sent a new unit, but included an "upgrade kit" which came with a cigarette lighter charger and another USB cable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

I got a pair the other day, sold on them when I saw Tammy and axle7 in California with them, Derek let me listen to his it sounded great. My autocom has given up the ghost and doesnt make solid connections anymore and I am sick of having to plug in every time I get on the bike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum CEO

So I have used them twice now, the sound is great, music was a bit low with the orginal speaker clamp, so I ordered an earbud clamp and it is much better for music, great sound now. Rode yesterday with them on for about 11 hours 7:30am to 6:30pm 500 miles and they performed great. They still had juice left at the end of the day. Very happy with this purchase - now I just need to figure out how to connect the radar so I can hear it too. I got a BTT005 stero blue tooth transmitter but it interferes with the phone - either one or the other will work with the sena unit at a time, which is wierd since the gps works at the same time with the phone. I get sound from the phone and the zumo at the same time so not sure why the other transmitter is not doing the same?

• Member Contributer

So I have used them twice now, the sound is great, music was a bit low with the orginal speaker clamp, so I ordered an earbud clamp and it is much better for music, great sound now. Rode yesterday with them on for about 11 hours 7:30am to 6:30pm 500 miles and they performed great. They still had juice left at the end of the day. Very happy with this purchase - now I just need to figure out how to connect the radar so I can hear it too. I got a BTT005 stero blue tooth transmitter but it interferes with the phone - either one or the other will work with the sena unit at a time, which is wierd since the gps works at the same time with the phone. I get sound from the phone and the zumo at the same time so not sure why the other transmitter is not doing the same?

Have you tried pairing your phone to the GPS and using it that way? Otherwise, give Sena a call, their customer service is excellent. They're on Faceberk too.

• Member Contributer

Same issue with me pretty much. I use a Sony BT transmitter with my zumo 450 and if the phone pairs with the Sena first there is no pairing with the Sony BT transmitter. However if I pair the Sony BT first and then turn on my phone I can get pairing with both, but it is still finicky.

• Member Contributer

Curious.

I am using the original 1st model SMH-10 and can pair with both my Sony BT unit which plugs into my ipod and my HTC One X phone. Both work simultaneously with no issues.

I suggest you guys contact Sena.

• 2 months later...

After riding with two guys who had a paired set I've finally picked a SMH10 of my own with the optional base that allows earbuds instead of speakers. Really looking forward to not being left in the dark or worrying about where the earbud cable is going between me and my phone.

• Member Contributer

I still like these units. I think all BT devices have their quirks. For the most part it functions as advertised.

• 2 months later...

I jes' buyed me a dual SMH10 kit, two clamp kit base adapters for using earbuds and a choice of microphones, and an SM10 dual-stream bluetooth stereo transmitter unit so we can both listen to the same music. Oh - and a new Shoei XR1100 (RF1100 for you Mrkns) which one of the SMH10s is now fitted to, tinted visor, and two pinlocks.

Last week I had the bike given a full service: all fluids replaced, ignition system and valve clearances checked (for the first time since I bought the bike 43k miles and 8 years ago), and throttle body synch checked. Everything in spec.

The guy who did it all, George- "The Motorcycle Doctor" is a mobile mechanic, so he came to my garage, beavered away for 4.5 hours without stopping, and charged me NZ$295 all up. He did a sterling job - the VifFerarRi now runs like a top, very quiet and smooth. I think the thing that made the biggest difference was getting rid of the Mobil1 and putting Motul 5100 in. I've used Mobil1 three times now, and it ALWAYS makes the engine more rattly and the gearchange rough . George told me off and said I was running the wrong oil, and the wrong fuel. I might get him back to recalibrate the TPS to richen the mixture a bit, as it's running quite lean with the satantune and BMC airfilter, and he said tweaking the TPS would fix that - he's done it on several bikes. I don't have a decent map for the PCII, so I took it off.

So I have used them twice now, ...........

Slammer was kind enough to set me up with the pair to his on the ride over from Colorado Springs to Montrose for SumSum2 meet. I can honestly say it was probably the most enjoyable ride that I've ever had in my life. I had my own private, guided tour of Colorado. Miguel was pointing out mountains, telling me their names and how tall they were. He was telling me family stories and where treasured family photos were taken. He was giving me the backstory of small towns and pointing out views that I would have missed without the cues. It was cool as hell.

I know the other guys in our group riding over to Montrose (panamawing, reddog, ldsrider) had to have been laughing their asses off..... Miguel was up front pointing and gesturing at things. It all made sense to me because I was getting the audio.... but to them it must have looked like a crazy man was leading the group.

7810400464_f46e819ee8_c.jpg

7810400978_e1da5ba882_c.jpg

• Member Contributer
I jes' buyed me a dual SMH10 kit, two clamp kit base adapters for using earbuds and a choice of microphones, and an SM10 dual-stream bluetooth stereo transmitter unit so we can both listen to the same music. Oh - and a new Shoei XR1100 (RF1100 for you Mrkns) which one of the SMH10s is now fitted to, tinted visor, and two pinlocks...

I have that setup in one of my helmets (the earbud setup), but I find myself always grabbing the helmet with the speakers. The old kits left me wanting more volume from the speakers, hence the earbud type purchase. But the new speaker kits have a thick velcro "wafer" that puts the speaker close to my ear and it's much easier to hear. I love the loudness of the S-plug earbuds I have, but they don't block out all the wind noise the way my foam ear plugs do. Also not as comfortable to me during long rides.

P.S. I'm waaay envious of your mechanic. How much do you think he would charge to come to Oklahoma?? LOL

I have that setup in one of my helmets (the earbud setup), but I find myself always grabbing the helmet with the speakers. The old kits left me wanting more volume from the speakers, hence the earbud type purchase. But the new speaker kits have a thick velcro "wafer" that puts the speaker close to my ear and it's much easier to hear. I love the loudness of the S-plug earbuds I have, but they don't block out all the wind noise the way my foam ear plugs do. Also not as comfortable to me during long rides.

So, you mean you use the speakers plus foam earplugs? How does that work for you in terms of volume and clarity? I initially just fitted the speakers in the ear cavities in the Shoei, then added those pads. They work well, but it's hard getting both speakers in exactly the same place, especially with them trying to grab onto everything when you're trying to put them in!

I was intending to maybe use earbuds on long rides, but I've had trouble (with all four pairs of earbuds I've got) to get them comfortable. I even tried taking the silicon flange thingos off the most expensive ones (some Sonys I bought before I went into hospital for surgery in 2010) and replacing them with cut-down 3M earplugs with a hole bored through the middle with a hot skewer. They fitted better, but still felt annoying. Strangely, the best buds for sound are the ones that came with the Walkman - not true in-ear ones, as they don't project into the ear canal. As such, they won't block out external noise much, and may well fall out (haven't tried them in the helmet yet). If they had some silcon rubber flanges that fitted to my ear, they might be ideal, but they're just smooth plastic, albeit a very slim profile.

The couple of times I've used my new helmet plus sound to work and back has made me somewhat enamoured with the idea of just putting my helmet on without faffing around with putting earbuds in, squeezing the helmet over the top, plugging in the cable, etc. Otherwise, it's just negating the utility of a wireless system.

From what I've read in the reviews on WebBikeWorld, these issues are common ones. It's a real pity that few if any helmets block wind noise, then all this would be easier, as it would if there were high-quality, reasonably priced earbuds with a slim profile and comfortable inserts. It almost makes me want to take the car....

- not!

• Member Contributer

The volume is certainly attenuated by the foam ear plugs, and I have it pretty much turned up full volume. It's the trade off I make for protecting my hearing from the wind noise.

This is where you get the "S-plug" earbuds:

http://www.plugup.co...arbuds_s/67.htm

They are the closest thing I have found to a combo earplug/earbud. They block the wind reasonably well and are reasonably comfortable. The key is to lubricate the silicone and shove it all the way into your ear canal. Fortunately there's a wire attached to pull it back out again!

The only other option (that I haven't tried yet) is to get some expensive custom moulded silicone (actually polyvinly siloxane) earplugs that have a high quality speaker driver (earbud) incorporated into it.

• 2 months later...

Just got mine. The weather has kept me from riding, but it seems to work as advertised. Hooked up to my tablet without an issue. I can listen to music and it sounds great. I can send voice commands just fine. Hope to test it on the road tomorrow.

I've had mine for about 10 months now. I really like them. Had a couple of the "Earbud" type bases have issues, but I used their customer service and they were quick about sending a replacement.

Archived