Sena SMH10 Intercom system...anybody have one?

2thdr

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got the SMH5 and Shoei GT-Air. I think I'm gonna love it! I can't help but wonder, though, is there an iPhone app for voice to SMS text and back? Some allow you to receive, but it would be nice to send one back.

I would prefer one that uses my cell number that everyone knows instead of setting up some alternate "cloud" account.

• Member Contributer

I've had mine for about 10 months now. I really like them. Had a couple of the "Earbud" type bases have issues, but I used their customer service and they were quick about sending a replacement.

Yeah, I had one of those break on me. The replacement they sent has a more flexible mini plug connector (with strain relief) that has so far not broken.

• Member Contributer

My wife is a VERY reluctant passenger and now is learning to ride on her own bike. She is also extremely deaf (0% in her left ear, less than 50% in the right). We were thrilled to discover that when the speaker is positioned right by her hearing aid, she hears me better than she EVER has (we're approaching 24 years this April). We joke about wearing our helmets at home full time, and having people walk in on us, naked except for our helmets!

My wife is a VERY reluctant passenger and now is learning to ride on her own bike. She is also extremely deaf (0% in her left ear, less than 50% in the right). We were thrilled to discover that when the speaker is positioned right by her hearing aid, she hears me better than she EVER has (we're approaching 24 years this April). We joke about wearing our helmets at home full time, and having people walk in on us, naked except for our helmets!

Just something to think about.........I do custom molded ear plugs and stereo plugs for Big Ear. I did a Gold Wing Rally once and sold a ton of the stereo plugs. They are a 30db ear plug with the sound piped right into your ear canal. A lot of the "wingers" had hearing aids. They said with the hearing aids in, they hear a bunch of wind noise (which continues to damage your hearing). Without the hearing aid, they couldn't hear their speakers. The stereo plugs were the best of both worlds........blocked the wind noise and gave amplified sound into their ears. Might be something for her to try in the future.

• Member Contributer

Just something to think about.........I do custom molded ear plugs and stereo plugs for Big Ear. I did a Gold Wing Rally once and sold a ton of the stereo plugs. They are a 30db ear plug with the sound piped right into your ear canal. A lot of the "wingers" had hearing aids. They said with the hearing aids in, they hear a bunch of wind noise (which continues to damage your hearing). Without the hearing aid, they couldn't hear their speakers. The stereo plugs were the best of both worlds........blocked the wind noise and gave amplified sound into their ears. Might be something for her to try in the future.

Thank you for the tip. So far, her speed is so low that wind noise is never an issue, but hopefully this will change!

• Member Contributer

:ohmy::laugh::biggrin::goofy::pissed:

• Member Contributer

Just got the SMH5 and Shoei GT-Air. I think I'm gonna love it! I can't help but wonder, though, is there an iPhone app for voice to SMS text and back? Some allow you to receive, but it would be nice to send one back.

I would prefer one that uses my cell number that everyone knows instead of setting up some alternate "cloud" account.

Jealous. I want the GT-air but no funds for it right now. Would be a great winter/autumn helmet (race helmets flow more air for our 100 degree summers).

As far as an app for Txting. It's built into the phone if you have a 4S or Iphone 5. It's called Siri. I call her my bitch. She sends txt's for me all the time when I'm driving. Hold down the home button to activate her and say "Text John Doe", she replies back "Ok, txt John Doe, what would you like to say". You tell her, and she'll repeat your txt and ask for confirmation to send to which you reply "Send." Then she replies back with confirmation that the txt has been sent.

Just took mine to England to pick up a new CBR1100XX. Kept the SMH10 connected to my tablet to feed me GPS instructions and provide music. Drove from Swindon, Uk to Casteau, Belgium 375 miles. Kept the electronics on the 1.5hr ferry ride as well. Performed flawlessly. I still don't know how long the battery will last. I have yet to run it dry. I'm going to leave it on to see.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just ordered a pair of these to go with one of my Sena helmet base clamps for earbuds. I have come to not like the s-plug earbuds as much as just using my E.A.R. foam plugs with helmet speakers...more comfortable for long rides and better wind noise blocking. You can add these speakers to a Sena earbud type clamp since they have a stereo mini plug...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I6HOQA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered a pair of these to go with one of my Sena helmet base clamps for earbuds. I have come to not like the s-plug earbuds as much as just using my E.A.R. foam plugs with helmet speakers...more comfortable for long rides and better wind noise blocking. You can add these speakers to a Sena earbud type clamp since they have a stereo mini plug...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I6HOQA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have the regular smh10 I'd love to hear how they compare to the stock sena speakers. I think the sena speakers are ok but can't help but wonder if these are much better, especially for bass.

I just bought the earbud clamp for mine and some s plugs, but I couldnt take 5 minutes with the s plugs in my ear. Maybe its just my ears but they were very uncomfortable. Did you have to break yours in at all?

• Member Contributer

I'll post up a review of the Torx speakers when I get them hooked up. I am also interested in how they perform vs. the Sena stockers. Since I use a quality ear plug, I could use some more volume. Torx also sells a little amplifier to go with the speakers, but I like to keep it simple and don't really want to add that.

The S-plugs are fairly comfortable for about two hours then they start to make my ear sore. The trick to wearing them is to lubricate the silicone ear piece before inserting in your ear canal...you want to get the thing buried all the way in so the only thing sticking out is the wire. They sell some water souluble lube, you could also use KY jelly if you could find it in a small tube that was convenient. An alternative that I did (which was kinda gross for a neat freak like me) was just to lick the damn things. Anyway, even when placing them properly, over time the pressure from the wire on my external ear is what I think makes them uncomfortable.

Archived