Voltage monitor

Polarbear

Question

• Member Contributer

Hello,

Just purchased a voltage monitor from Signal Dynamics, :fing02: to complement the Vfrness (I may ride all by myself in some pretty remote areas this summer, so better be prepared); it'll get here in about 7-10 days--no big deal since I don't have time to ride these days yet anyway. :wub:

This one is the type with a single light that blinks different colors to monitor the state of your electrical system. I'm just wondering where to put it? I want it out of the way, not too exposed to the rain or whatever, and somewhat still visible. Any suggestions? Right on the dash? To the left? Not sure.

Chime in with suggestions and maybe even pics if you gave some, that would be great.

Thanks all!! :fing02:

Christian

• Member Contributer

I have a Datel on mine; not sure how similar the Signal Dynamics one is. I mounted it on the LH fairing... easy to glance down and check, but not in direct line of sight while riding. The wires have a bit of slack with a connector so it's still easy to take the fairing off.

v1.jpg

• Member Contributer

I went analog...

I would go analog too, most digital gauges look a little off to me, but can you see the gauge face where you've put it when you're in the saddle? I've a 6th anyway so it's not like I could copy your setup exactly even if I wanted to but your deal has me curious.

For cabling, I wonder about using a coiled cable, like what comes on some PC keyboards or a phone handset, and putting the connector in the middle. When you pull the panel off you can stretch it out a ways, then disconnect it using some sort of connector, and it's not a big deal to take on and off that way. Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

This one is the type with a single light that blinks different colors to monitor the state of your electrical system. I'm just wondering where to put it? I want it out of the way, not too exposed to the rain or whatever, and somewhat still visible. Any suggestions? Right on the dash? To the left? Not sure.

I have mine mounted on the inside of the fairing to the left, on the black plastic bit. Rivcyko has his mounted directly beneath his tachometer.

I like his mounting better, because you will see it when there is a problem. The Signal Dynamics system shines bright when the colour changes and then dims when it hits a steady state. So, if everything is cool it will be a dim green glow. If anything goes wrong it will definitely get your attention!

Also, make use of the long LED cable; either mount the sensor box close to the battery or run a long wire to a switchable power source close to the battery. Don't take power off the front harness unless you have to as there is generally a slight voltage dip there.

In my case I installed a new relay near the battery tray and took direct battery voltage off it. It activates by sensing 12v from the rear brake light (not the one that kicks in when you use the lever obviously...), and thats what my HUVM is connected to. As a bonus, it also operates as a decent accessories circuit.

Let me tell ya boys,

When your charge system goes , the battery will drain quick, I had a Volmeter, I read it out of my drive way and then strated having a good time. Your busy riding and if the voltmeter is not directly infront of your eyballs, you wont pay attention enough to it and it will do ya no good.

Only MY Radar detector gave an alarm forcing me to look at the voltage, otherwise I wouldnt even have caught the low votage condition. That tells you to tuck tail and ride hard to the Shed.

Point is, unless the meter is in front of your face, you'll probably miss the failure without an alarm.

Even though this is a different type gauge it was the location you said you were interested in. I have no problems seeing this and it's out of the elements.....

post-16535-127372503869_thumb.jpg

post-16535-127372510143_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

Lots of ideas and suggestions here, thanks folks. Mine will be just single light bulb that blinks different colors (same as HS I think), so I'm thinking even maybe the unused European light thingy below the tach slightly to the right. I'll have to wait until I see how much wire I get and how big the bulb is.

C

I too have a Signal Dynamic heads up voltmeter. Will be installing it today, as I'll be taking the front fairing off to put in blue LED instrument lights. The ideal position on the 5th. gen is IMO on top of the dash, above the tachometer. Time will tell if it's possible to get it in there.

I have a VFRness and fuse panel kit on its way across the pond, so I'll be hooking it up to that once it arrives. Will run a direct line to the battery as a temporary solution.

Will get back to this topic with pics once I've installed it :)

Ok... Mission complete! I changed my instrument lights with blue LED bulbs and also installed a Signal Dynamics heads up voltmeter. Total time from start to finish was 2 hours.

It was actually easier than I thought. Front fairing comes off, and bingo. Full access. But I'm glad I've got small hands! Getting to a couple of the instrument light bulbs was a PITA, and installing them even worse. But all went well. Here are the LED bulbs I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370304867152

With that out of the way it was time for the voltage monitor. And it fits perfectly above the tachometer on the 5th. gen. Placing it here puts it in my field of view, which is the whole point of this device. I drilled a 6,5mm. hole through the upper part of the instrument surround panel and installed the bezel and LED here. Sticked the voltmeter "brain" just below it using double sided tape and routed the wires back to the battery. The wire length included was perfect. That's perfect as in don't screw up and cut off wire, or you won't have enough :offtopic:

Here's the finished look. Green light above my tachometer is the voltage monitor. I didn't get the hole for it perfectly aligned, but I still think it's a clean install. And the dash looks soooo sexy in blue :biggrin:

post-19819-127375664811_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a Datel on mine; not sure how similar the Signal Dynamics one is. I mounted it on the LH fairing... easy to glance down and check, but not in direct line of sight while riding. The wires have a bit of slack with a connector so it's still easy to take the fairing off.

v1.jpg

That's basically like mine on the 5th Gen. Wires have a plug to remove the fairing.

• Member Contributer

Mine's a Kuryikyn LED. Up close you can still see a few tool marks on the bracket. I should have polished them out better. Oh, well...

gallery_7252_5239_105166.jpg

It kind of disappears if you don't know it's there. Is easy to read from the saddle though -but isn't too bright because it is not in the direct line of sight. It's color coded so you can tell if it changes and voltage goes too low (or too high :warranty: )

gallery_7252_5239_55039.jpg

At about 1:15 I go into how the LED is wired to either be on all the time, off all the time, or on with the ignition. Too bad the light was bad and you can't see the voltmeter very clearly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5C1ZVC2P8E

• Member Contributer

Datel meter mounted just left of the ignition flush with the triple.

Temporarily put it there with some 3M dual-lock, thinking I'll mount it permantly somewhere. Think that was about a year ago... :warranty:

Very happy with it, though the number seems to be creeping up.

• Member Contributer

Let me tell ya boys,

When your charge system goes , the battery will drain quick, I had a Volmeter, I read it out of my drive way and then strated having a good time. Your busy riding and if the voltmeter is not directly infront of your eyballs, you wont pay attention enough to it and it will do ya no good.

Only MY Radar detector gave an alarm forcing me to look at the voltage, otherwise I wouldnt even have caught the low votage condition. That tells you to tuck tail and ride hard to the Shed.

Point is, unless the meter is in front of your face, you'll probably miss the failure without an alarm.

I pay attention to mine constantly. Doing so has saved my ass more than once. If you know your system isn't charging properly, you can park your bike on a slope when getting gas or whatever, positioned for an easy bump start. You also know to not use accessories such as heated clothing until you can remedy the problem. Also, you know to stay with a group rather than splitting off so you aren't alone and stranded somewhere out in the boonies. What you don't know can hurt you. Knowledge is power. Ignorance hurts.

• Member Contributer

I can't recall where I saw it, but someone mounted a digital unit inside their sideview mirror against the mirror glass, and the digital display showed through the mirror glass. It was a very cool installation!

I don't know if this is the one I saw, but here's a link to what I'm talking about... Mirror Voltmeter

That was a while ago! I'd be guessing maybe 5 years. Only thing I didn't like about it was the edge of the relective coating where it had been removed for the meter wasn't sharp enough for me.

• Member Contributer

I have the same Signal Dynamics voltmeter on my 5th Gen. Mounted it on the top left of the plastic cowl that surrounds the instrument panel (just under the windshield). I had the front cowl off so it seemed like a good opportunity to install one. It works great and is very visible but not so much as to be a distraction. I had a voltmeter on my 4th Gen mounted just in front of ignition key and it was OK, but only useful is one actually looked at it. The Signal Dynamics "idiot light" is in my view a much better solution. If the voltage drops (or spikes) you know about it right away. The voltage processing unit was mounted under the horizontal gray cowl to the left of the forks using the two sided adhesive tape supplied with the unit. I am really pleased with it.

post-19792-127407083624_thumb.jpg

post-19792-127407086079_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have the same Signal Dynamics voltmeter on my 5th Gen. Mounted it on the top left of the plastic cowl that surrounds the instrument panel (just under the windshield). I had the front cowl off so it seemed like a good opportunity to install one. It works great and is very visible but not so much as to be a distraction. I had a voltmeter on my 4th Gen mounted just in front of ignition key and it was OK, but only useful is one actually looked at it. The Signal Dynamics "idiot light" is in my view a much better solution. If the voltage drops (or spikes) you know about it right away. The voltage processing unit was mounted under the horizontal gray cowl to the left of the forks using the two sided adhesive tape supplied with the unit. I am really pleased with it.

Aha! This will look suspiciously like mine, but with the 6th gen version, of course. A good way to protect it from rain and crap, right?

C

• Member Contributer

have order for these - hope to get them in couple of days. they are pretty small.

gallery_16926_5354_16921.jpg

VFR-VoltMeter.JPG

• Member Contributer

Aha! This will look suspiciously like mine, but with the 6th gen version, of course. A good way to protect it from rain and crap, right?

C

Yep, stays completely out of the weather. The kit includes a little plastic ferrule that you insert into the 1/4 inch hole you've drilled (from the outside), then you push the LED in from the back. Be careful at this stage - it take quite a lot of push to get the LED to clip in. I managed it by using needle nose pliers to clamp the ferrule against the plastic cowl while pushing really hard (but carefully!) on the LED assembly until it finally seated. Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

C

Yep, stays completely out of the weather. The kit includes a little plastic ferrule that you insert into the 1/4 inch hole you've drilled (from the outside), then you push the LED in from the back. Be careful at this stage - it take quite a lot of push to get the LED to clip in. I managed it by using needle nose pliers to clamp the ferrule against the plastic cowl while pushing really hard (but carefully!) on the LED assembly until it finally seated. Enjoy!

Hey,

All right, since this requires some finesse, I'll try and pick a day when I'm patient and in a good mood to plug it in. BTW, I isn't want to ask since it seems to basic, but how did you hook it up? Directly up to the battery (seems easier to me if it is doable) or did you tap into the rear light wires? Not too sure what te kit comes with yet, I ordered from a local business here and they didn't have any on display.

Thanks,

C

• Member Contributer

C

Hey,

All right, since this requires some finesse, I'll try and pick a day when I'm patient and in a good mood to plug it in. BTW, I isn't want to ask since it seems to basic, but how did you hook it up? Directly up to the battery (seems easier to me if it is doable) or did you tap into the rear light wires? Not too sure what te kit comes with yet, I ordered from a local business here and they didn't have any on display.

Thanks,

C

I have Tightwad's VFRNess on my bike (if you don't have one yet - get one), as well as his accessory fuse panel kit mounted under the seat. Pic is attached. Proper grounding is often an issue on these bikes so I ran a ground cable directly from the battery to a terminal I created under the seat by drilling a hole through one of the plastic U-Bolt brackets build into the fender. Put a bolt through it and voila, a second ground terminal direct to battery! As for the wiring, I ran a switched line from the fuse box and a dedicated ground up the left side of the frame to the front of the bike where I connected it to a Powerlet outlet in the steering stem. I tapped into these lines just behind the instrument panel to get the voltage and ground for the voltmeter. Link to Tightwad's site is Wire My Bike. High quality stuff at a very reasonable price.

post-19792-127411489433_thumb.jpg

• Member Contributer

C

Hey,

Thanks,

C

I have Tightwad's VFRNess on my bike (if you don't have one yet - get one), as well as his accessory fuse panel kit mounted under the seat. Pic is attached. Proper grounding is often an issue on these bikes so I ran a ground cable directly from the battery to a terminal I created under the seat by drilling a hole through one of the plastic U-Bolt brackets build into the fender. Put a bolt through it and voila, a second ground terminal direct to battery! As for the wiring, I ran a switched line from the fuse box and a dedicated ground up the left side of the frame to the front of the bike where I connected it to a Powerlet outlet in the steering stem. I tapped into these lines just behind the instrument panel to get the voltage and ground for the voltmeter. Link to Tightwad's site is Wire My Bike. High quality stuff at a very reasonable price.

Hey,

Just got the vfrness myself with the accessory plug. I'm in the process of installing it--still not sure how to route the harness, but your info will help. I've pmed Josh too for some more pics.

Thanks!

C

Archived