Voltage monitor

Polarbear

Question

• Member Contributer

Hello,

Just purchased a voltage monitor from Signal Dynamics, :fing02: to complement the Vfrness (I may ride all by myself in some pretty remote areas this summer, so better be prepared); it'll get here in about 7-10 days--no big deal since I don't have time to ride these days yet anyway. :wub:

This one is the type with a single light that blinks different colors to monitor the state of your electrical system. I'm just wondering where to put it? I want it out of the way, not too exposed to the rain or whatever, and somewhat still visible. Any suggestions? Right on the dash? To the left? Not sure.

Chime in with suggestions and maybe even pics if you gave some, that would be great.

Thanks all!! :fing02:

Christian

Here's where I installed my Datel meter using ideas from Cogswell on this site. I took power off a relay controlled distribution box also available from a member on this site (same gentleman who sales the VFRness). My mount is a little rough but I think I'll make a new mount with better craftsmanship now that this prototype has proved itself. There's a slight voltage drop since I didn't go straight to the battery, but it still tells me what's happening,

post-22704-0-11767300-1415561533.jpg

• Member Contributer

Let me tell ya boys,

When your charge system goes , the battery will drain quick, I had a Volmeter, I read it out of my drive way and then strated having a good time. Your busy riding and if the voltmeter is not directly infront of your eyballs, you wont pay attention enough to it and it will do ya no good.

Only MY Radar detector gave an alarm forcing me to look at the voltage, otherwise I wouldnt even have caught the low votage condition. That tells you to tuck tail and ride hard to the Shed.

Point is, unless the meter is in front of your face, you'll probably miss the failure without an alarm.

Well I should have read this post four years ago!!!!!! I have had an idiot light voltmeter for years but it is tucked out of the way. This summer I added a radar detector with a voltmeter for tours. The Redline was shutting down due to low voltage but I ignored it as I was also having some concurrent connection problems with my RD wiring.

med_gallery_2144_7292_4399254.jpg

Well I got my wiring squared away and what a jolt from the volt!

med_gallery_2144_2760_2666787.jpg

All better now. But I am looking to upgrade my voltmeter's location and would like a better readout most likely analog.

• Member Contributer

My stator made about 49K miles but it has been failing for a while. Replaced with OEM stator and the upgraded OEM RR at the same time.

I bought the Redline for touring in remote areas where sensitivity is key. The Redline is segmented basically as recommended for max sensitivity (x band off along with other stuff) on rdforum.org. When in the city I do false a bit on K bands but I could knock down on that by tuning some more for that environment. So far it has been eating the fuzz up. I like IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah in the city some doors are kband, even in the country some tractors run kband. but the reason I run highway mode , its the most sensitive and I don't spend much time in cities.

Ive got about 55,000 mile on the present stator, still working but I already have a back up ready to go in, when the day comes

Archived