Motorcycle apparel

Guest andrewr2010

Guest andrewr2010

I need a new outfit for this summer. My Jacket is to warm and I just keep sweating in it! I usually catch a cold after I sweat. So I'm looking for vented jackets, like mesh or textile mesh or leather mesh.

I came upon this website: http://www.agvsport.com/catalogform.php and I found some interesting stuff. Now I just need some advice on those products.

Thanks folks!

I need a new outfit for this summer. My Jacket is to warm and I just keep sweating in it! I usually catch a cold after I sweat. So I'm looking for vented jackets, like mesh or textile mesh or leather mesh.

I came upon this website: http://www.agvsport.com/catalogform.php and I found some interesting stuff. Now I just need some advice on those products.

Thanks folks!

With the type of heat you are likely to experience in Maryland, unfortunately, you are probably limited to a textile mesh although the protection is not nearly the same as leather or solid textile.Keep an eye out for sales at bikebandit.com,motorcyclecloseouts.com,compacc.com,motorcycle_superstore.com, to name a few.Check out the kilimanjaro air(think first gear makes that).Tourmaster makes a lot of good looking,quality made, inexpensive textiles.---good luck

I've always had good luck with newenough.com. Their prices are pretty reasonable, especially for closeouts and bargain basement stuff. That stuff is usually last years models, but it's new, not used. Check them out. Good luck.

• Member Contributer

This outfit should keep anyone cool. Not exactly ATGATT, though. If you have proper gear on (whether it be leather, textile, Kevlar, or mesh), and it's hot, you're going to sweat.

gallery_12878_5046_88210.png

Thanks folks!

To get this out of the way... Thick leather is concidered the best protection(I'm a Textile wearer, mostly).... In regards to AGV, I've not used them, and won't get into all the different stuff I do use.... but a 600 or plus rating(high abrasion resistant ballistic nylon/Cordura®)is a good place to start, along with what's inside as far as the pads/cups/etc. go. Another thing to concider is to have protection you can put on prior the donning of the jacket/pants... Then that way every time you buy a new piece of clothing you'll have the quality protection from the under garments....... If you go this direction be sure you get the under protection garments 1st so you're outer garments will fit over it..... They make stuff that is cool to wear under you're clothes....

Buy the way, I didn't see any ratings on the AGV site... Be aware....

I started this reply before anyone else, so I'm not jumping on other statements... (PC protection)......

This outfit should keep anyone cool. Not exactly ATGATT, though. If you have proper gear on (whether it be leather, textile, Kevlar, or mesh), and it's hot, you're going to sweat.

Just looking at her makes "ME" sweat........

• Member Contributer

I think that when it's properly vented leather is actually more comfortable than textile. If you're stuck in traffic, then yes you'll sweat, but once the air gets moving it can be quite comfy. Even in traffic, I'd rather sweat than bleed.

I rode today (in Maryland, 80 degrees) with polyester police pants and shirt with overpants and Teknic Freeway jacket with the vents open. Nice and cool. At 0600, when I go home, I will close up the vents and tool on home. I actually got a compliment from a coworker last week when it was over 90 degrees: I got to work and the guy looked at me and said "Thats the same thing you wore in the winter!" Ah yes....versatility.

The only thing textile has over leather is the ability to open and close the vents as opposed to perforated leather or mesh jackets.

Me and SebSpeed had this very conversation the other night after a million mararitas and I think we decided that each rider needs at least 3 sets of riding gear to do it perfectly.

PS: whereabouts in Md are you?

• Member Contributer

I rode today (in Maryland, 80 degrees) with polyester police pants and shirt with overpants and Teknic Freeway jacket with the vents open. Nice and cool. At 0600, when I go home, I will close up the vents and tool on home. I actually got a compliment from a coworker last week when it was over 90 degrees....

It's been 90 degrees there already! Damn. I haven't even seen 90 yet here in Tucson.

It's been 90 degrees there already! Damn. I haven't even seen 90 yet here in Tucson.

The DC Metropolitan area has two seasons: Ice Station Zebra and Africa Hot

I live in Phoenix and it was 88 the other day here. I wear a Shift Airborne mesh jacket. I love it! Great venting with decent padding. Paid $119 shipped form motorcycle-superstore.com.

Someone mentioned NEW ENOUGH--great place to buy --also check out Iron Pony. They usually have lots of closeouts at good prices!

FWIW I have the Olympia AST jacket. It was trashed in a get-off and I replaced it with the same. I have found it to be warm when needed and so well vented that I rarely if ever have to go with my JR mesh jacket. The Olympia products are also among the best quality products I've seen out there.

Olympia

• Member Contributer

I've got a TourMaster mesh jacket that I wear year round. It's got 2 removable liners, one water/windproof and the other quilted. Between those, my Under Armor and a heated liner, I'm good no matter the weather.

Everyone says leather is best for protection. That may be true (I've never gone down in leather or textile to prove it.) but textile is so much more versatile.

The DC Metropolitan area has two seasons: Ice Station Zebra and Africa Hot

I always laugh when I see posts like this. Not saying it is not hot, but 100+ here with 100% humidity during the summer is hot. Everything else is mild. lol.

But to contribute to the OP, I wear a Joe Rocket Mesh textile, and I definitely still sweat at a stand still, but even in the heat here, it isn't bad at all when moving.

• Member Contributer

FWIW I have the Olympia AST jacket. It was trashed in a get-off and I replaced it with the same. I have found it to be warm when needed and so well vented that I rarely if ever have to go with my JR mesh jacket. The Olympia products are also among the best quality products I've seen out there.

Olympia

:angry: Another Olympia fan here. I have the Viper jacket and my wife has the Airglide.

OMG I have that exact same outfit! :goofy:

I just bought an Olympia GT Air

AMAZING PICS - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334812

Manufacturer - http://www.olympiamotosports.com/gt_air/gt_air.htm

I checked out a lot of jackets, and not only did this look like it was going to offer max air flow, but the shoulder, elbow, and back pads were way stronger than any other jacket I looked at. When you see and touch an Olympia product it just speaks quality material.

Good luck, spend the money and get something good.

BTW- Olympia customer service is awesome, I had the owner of the company helping me out to determine proper size/fit for me.

Do you wear cotton under you riding gear? If so, get a base layer that is made from a technical material. Craft sells very desent stuff.

YUP!

I have a Nike outlet near me so I have lots of their Dri-FIT stuff

wow i'd love to move to maryland if summer is just in the 80's, here in texas were hitting 100+ 3+ months a year...i could probably wear a snow jacket up there and not sweat lol. im wearing a joe rocket full breathable leather jacket and right now its highs of low 80's and i admit leathers in stopped traffic is HOT!

• Member Contributer

+1 on Olympia gear! I've been wearing the Stealth One Piece Mesh Tech Suit and have about 6,500 warm/hot weather trip miles on it so far. It flows a lot of air and I like it for long trips. Have to put a rain suit on over it when it rains, though. No biggie.

• Member Contributer

OMG I have that exact same outfit! goofy.gif

worthlesswithoutpics.gif

wow i'd love to move to maryland if summer is just in the 80's, here in texas were hitting 100+ 3+ months a year...i could probably wear a snow jacket up there and not sweat lol. im wearing a joe rocket full breathable leather jacket and right now its highs of low 80's and i admit leathers in stopped traffic is HOT!

I keep two sets of gear here in GA (none winter):

1. Joe Rocket Blaster 2-Piece Leathers (Perforated)

2. Joe Rocket Phoenix Pants & Jacket

and a third for the track:

3. Teknic 1-piece leathers, back protectors, PyscleSkin Undersuit

Gloves: Tourmaster or Kobe

Boots: Oxtar Racing Boots

Helmet: Vemar or KBC

Depends on the temp and type of riding I'm doing to what I'll wear. Generally I like the leathers for the added protection, but for the hottest summer months I'll got with the mesh textile. However, I've dropped 25 lbs. and about 3" in waist size so my stuff is falling off me a bit at this point and it is a few years old...perfect reason for new gear! :blink:

As far as undergarmets, I still think UnderArmour is the best stuff (or equivelent). Its the only way to get in and out of leathers when its 90+ degrees. The PyscleSkin is awesome as well, but I just use that at the track.

Um, no. Believe it or not, it does get hot in places other than the southwest(thank Al Gore! lol). 90+ & 90-100% humidity is common in DC. I've experienced it. Yuck! I'll take a little winter if it means highs of 70-90 with 60-80% humidity in the summer! :blink:

Archived