Where to start, what to buy and how to do it?

Ripper

• Member Contributer

Like the title says, I am new to the VFR and want to know what mods are free / cheap / easy? As well as things that will just make it a better bike... i.e. Windscreen type, Fender eliminator, ect. Not saying I'm going to do them all or any of them, but having the ideas thrown out there will help me.

Oh, I've got the 07 RWB and already plan on getting the factory side cases.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer

That's the whole reason I started this thread... It seems that there really isn't much to improve on (IMO), but you never know? I tell you, I can't wait for this weather to move on out so I can just ride the SOB! Too much rain makes for too much internet searching and confusion!

God, do get me going on more power with a turbo... I swore that I wasn't going to dump a TON of money into this thing in the pursuit of more and faster.

Edited by Ripper

I think you'll find it has good power, as is.

Unleashing a little V4 music, yeah that's nice.

I put Gen Mar bar risers on my '98, Jardine can a couple years ago because I got a deal.

No other mods of note, I just wanna ride. :blink:

Of course you can farkle the thing out with bling and $,$$$ if you want. :beer:

• Member Contributer

I say start by planning the next trip: book some hotels, plan for ferries, gas money, some maintenance money (oil, air filters, tires, etc.), food, gear (GEAR!!), and some interesting sight seeing on your way (museums, campgrounds, various attractions, beer for other VFRD members along the way?!!?). After you've puting some good mileage on it, then you may wanna modify things. Just ride the sh*t out of it until you find something you just can't live with (handle bars, seat, looks?, whatever).

BTW, congrats on your new purchase!! Hope you find it to your liking.

Just my 2cents...

Christian

The RWB Anniversary Edition is greatly improved with white wheels :blink:

The RWB Anniversary Edition is greatly improved with FLAT BLACK PAINT

fixed that for you.

• Member Contributer

Can you give us some more information? Budget, what do you find lacking currently, etc? How tall are you? What are you hoping to do with the bike, what kind of riding do you normally do?

The stock seat seems to suit no one, after that it just depends. I'm considering a number of changes to my bike but I'm somewhat budget limited, I think this is going to be the year of improved fueling and then more riding gear for myself, perhaps luggage as well, just have to see how the finances roll for 2010. But I don't know what you're looking for so not sure what to tell you.

• Member Contributer

VFR is a great bike stock. Aftermarket exhaust will lighten it up and make it sound nice. Stay away from full race canisters. Too loud. Other than that the suspension is pretty good especially when new so unless the springs are all wrong for your wieght I say invest is awesome boots, helmet, and riding gear. That's the stuff you really interface with the bike with. Makes the experience that much better. Worth every penny.

How long is a piece of string? :blink:

Fit an Evo Star shifter kit, some aftermarket mufflers, a PCV (and get some dyno time), heated grips (if you plan on riding in cold weather), a decent set of tires, some advanced rider training at a track school, and that's pretty much it. That gives you a good gearshift before it becomes just another Honda gearbox, a decent V4 sound, a smoother fueling curve, and some reasonable skills. If any of that's not enough, then maybe you could spend some $$$ on some Ohlins and Racetech suspension bits.

HEATED HAND GRIPS!

+1.gif

I'll agree with that.

If you feel that you just have to do something start with warm grips. You'll figure out what, if anything, else you want to do as time goes one.

• Member Contributer

Seems as though I've finally bought a bike that doesn't need to be fixed to be Great, and a group of guys that feel the same way? I'm not into the Bling crap so that's out... I am ATGATT, so that's out, I feel it handles great as is, ect, ect, ect...

I planned on the white wheels before it was even off the showroom floor.

Guess I'll just stick to riding the chit out of it!

setting SAG - FREE!

adjusting suspension settings to your liking - FREE! (maybe...)

tank of gas - $20

NEP Throttle lock - $15

Symtec heated grip kit - $27

12V socket for the occasional accesory or device charging - $5-$20

good tires - $200-$300

luggage - $10-$1000...

polishing the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars - (hopefully) FREE!!

:rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

When I got my 07 RWB last fall, I decided I was going to ride it for a full season before making any big changes to it. Though I did buy a Corbin seat with backrest (used) for the woman. Since then I bought a set of OEM luggage, grip heaters, new gel grips and a fuse block, all to be put on later this month (lousy weather and no garage). Exhaust wise, it's staying stock because I like the quietness of it, and I'm not very mechanically inclined. I've been thinking of the throttle lock, as mentioned. It would probably be a good time to get it, and put it on with the grips. As far as bar risers or windscreen, I want to ride it enough to determine whether I want/need anything them.

• Member Contributer

I'm pretty happy with the bike. Everything the 919 isn't, the VFR is! As in better all around!

setting SAG - FREE! - Check

adjusting suspension settings to your liking - FREE! (maybe...) - Check

tank of gas - $20 - Check

NEP Throttle lock - $15 - I've never used a Throttle lock, Maybe now is the time.

Symtec heated grip kit - $27 - Negative Ghost Rider, that pattern is full (don't like them)

12V socket for the occasional accesory or device charging - $5-$20 - Check (bike is sitting in my office waiting for this to be done)

good tires - $200-$300 - Stocker's are not great by any means, but I'll replace when they are due. Saving the money for Luggage!

luggage - $10-$1000... - Check (or at least I'm working the wife over on them)

polishing the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars - (hopefully) FREE!! - Check... I mean no... Wait, You got a camera in my house? How'd you know about me polishing my nut?

Being the Red-White-Blue bike I'm not gonna mess with changing the cosmetics. Maybe a Homebrew fender eliminator. I am curious about windscreens though. I do find for a full faring bike the wind is not much better than the naked I came from. What screen (if any) is showing vastly improved wind protection? I'm not talking a grandpa 3 foot tall deal, but just enough to put the wind over my head. I am 6ft tall (on a good day when the gravitational pull is less).

Symtec heated grip kit - $27 - Negative Ghost Rider, that pattern is full (don't like them)

blink.gif Wow! Go around the Sun enough times and you'll hear everything.

Yeah, really. Who doesn't like warm hands?

Do you mean you don't like the Symtec kit?

polishing the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars - (hopefully) FREE!! - Check... I mean no... Wait, You got a camera in my house? How'd you know about me polishing my nut?

As in, work on your riding skills. You can never learn enough. Once you get some good tires, try a track day!

By "(hopefully)", I meant not crashing in the process...

I am curious about windscreens though. I do find for a full faring bike the wind is not much better than the naked I came from. What screen (if any) is showing vastly improved wind protection? I'm not talking a grandpa 3 foot tall deal, but just enough to put the wind over my head. I am 6ft tall (on a good day when the gravitational pull is less).

I rode both the 919 and my 05 back to back in almost freezing temps(40's). It was also raining/damp. There is definitely a discernible difference in protection from the weather and temperature. Less water reaches your legs, and the warm air guided out the faring ducts makes a big difference too. I actually prefer a low cut windscreen to a tall one - I haven't found a tall windscreen that doesn't make my helmet bobble around. A low screen allows the air to hit you in the chest, actually helps to hold you up on longer rides.

• Member Contributer

Hand warmers - I'm a freak of nature I guess? My hands are never cold.

As for the windscreen, Perhaps I need more ride time before I really pass judgment on it. Just seems that currently it is directed at my head. Time will tell.

As for the Nut (me) I knew what you meant, I was making a joke. I do take advanced rider course every year as a refresher and in general just ride within my abilities.

The more I look around at things, I think I'm just gonna mount my GPS and just ride the SOB. I was just wanting to see what was out there for it. It's so much easier to ask vs. wasting money on accessories that I end up not liking.

• Member Contributer

Oh, before anyone gets offended. I am the guy that jokes about everything, will make fun of himself and try to lighten up a conversation. So please when you read some of my posts, don't read to much into them if it is an off the wall comment.

I appreciate you all jumping in and offering up some ideas.

Oh, before anyone gets offended. I am the guy that jokes about everything, will make fun of himself and try to lighten up a conversation. So please when you read some of my posts, don't read to much into them if it is an off the wall comment.

That's why we have these: :laughing6-hehe: :blink: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:blink:

• Member Contributer

That's why we have these: :laughing6-hehe: :blink: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:blink:

What? I thought everyone could here me talking like "Mike Meyers" (heavy on the sarcasm) when I typed? :goofy:

Guest Byrdarian

Well there are some good idea's out there. I'm only a little ahead of you with 2300 miles on my 07 (bought in January). I am currently saving for a seat. I added gel grips (ProGrip 699 $10) and they helped a lot with hand and wrist discomfort.

I would really want to test a new wind screen because it feels to me like the wind on the helmet takes a lot of weight off my hands, and I've read that in other posts too. Other then those the ride's about perfect.

Anthony

Edited by Byrdarian