Heated jackets (Gerbing & Biketek)

vfr_steve

At the moment I use the Gerbing heated jacket and gloves for my winter riding, the gloves draw about 22 watts (around 1.5 amps) and the jacket draws around 77 watts.

Now unfortunately for Gerbing as many of you who use this product it isn't long before you have to replace them due to failing electrics. This time it's my right glove that doesn't work when plugged into the jacket liner, they work fine separately so that's what I'm doing as a work around until I can send it off (again)...

sorry I am getting to my point,

I am thinking now of buying the new 'BikeTek' heated range that basically does the same thing, but is apparently more durable and has it's own temp controller. my question is this...

will the VFR be able to cope with two sets of jacket liners and gloves for it's touring duties with pillion?

It amazes me sometimes that I even have to ask this question, as the VFR electrics should be robust enough to be able to cope with such things being an all-round sports tourer but hey!

• Member Contributer

I have heated grips and a heated vest. I am reluctant to use the the high beams when running both of them as I can watch my volt meter and the voltage is very slow to climb after being stopped when I use all three. I would think it would not be up to the task but that's just a gut feeling.

I enjoy the external controls of my Powerlet liner and gloves...and I can use both together without a problem, I would hesitate at 2 liners as that is a pretty big draw, but I know people who have done it. If you haven't checked out Powerlets heated gear, do so!

Thanks for your thoughts guys, very quick responses! I have used one gerbing jacket liner and gloves (for the girly) and I've used one set of heated gloves WITHOUT a jacket liner - it just would be nice if we both could be kitted out without worrying of over doing it.

If you think it would be pushing it then I guess I'll just get my gerbing one fixed and keep that :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Now unfortunately for Gerbing as many of you who use this product it isn't long before you have to replace them due to failing electrics. This time it's my right glove that doesn't work when plugged into the jacket liner, they work fine separately so that's what I'm doing as a work around until I can send it off (again)...

Dunno about running two full sets on the bike, I've never done it. But I wanted to chime in and say I have a ten year old Gerbing jacket that has had a lot of use. I never had any trouble with it except the time it just plain disappeared for a year, but that's not Gerbing's fault, and it did finally turn up again. smile.gif

Last year was my first year with an electric vest,(also run a RD). This year my stator went out in October, course I hadnt used the vest since the spring.

I'm seeing the vest and RD working okay, I even want to get a full jacket

Two vests are workable IMO, If your system is in peak condition.

I have a Gerbing liner and gloves. My pillion has a Widder vest. I have run all three on the VFR before at the same time and while rolling, everything seems fine. When stopped at a light, I have to turn mine down or the volt meter drops like a rock.

I've had my Gerbing for several years without a problem. I even bought it used. Of course in GA, I don't wear it a ton, but overall it's been pretty good to me.

• Member Contributer

Also take a look at the Tourmaster Synergy heated clothing. It works great, and each piece comes with its own controller at no additional cost. I got mine at a deep discount by making an offer to an eBay vendor.

hmm not sure what to do, I'd say judging by the comments/advice I best stick with just using, one jacket liner and two sets of gloves - pity though, it would of been nice to have the option of using both.

Anyone on the forum use both with no problems?

Thanks for your input

• Member Contributer

hmm not sure what to do, I'd say judging by the comments/advice I best stick with just using, one jacket liner and two sets of gloves - pity though, it would of been nice to have the option of using both.

Anyone on the forum use both with no problems?

Thanks for your input

I've run my Synergy heated jacket liner, Synergy heated pants liner, Gerbings heated gloves, and heated socks all at the same time on "medium" and haven't had a problem while at speed. I have the jacket and gloves on one controller and the pants and socks on the other. I do shut them off when caught in stop and go traffic or while idling. Seems like you should be able to run two heated jacket liners and two sets of heated gloves while at speed to keep you and your pillion warm and toasty.

• Member Contributer

You could get Rick's upgraded R/R, they say its good for 50 amps (I think the old was 35 - you would have to ask Tightwad on specifics). But that could give you the power, I would think.

I have heated grips and a heated vest. I am reluctant to use the the high beams when running both of them as I can watch my volt meter and the voltage is very slow to climb after being stopped when I use all three. I would think it would not be up to the task but that's just a gut feeling.

I think I figured out that a 6th gen has 200-250 extra watts available and the High Beans take 100w alone(6th gen) so if I'm running heated gear I never run H/B. I've run Jacket liner(77w), Grips(25w), & heated socks(22w) along with radar for 300 mile winter loops and have yet to have an issue after 70,000 miles.

I think two Jacket liners with other gear could seriously load up a VFR's system, but not sure! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

This might be helpful. A jacket, pants, gloves, and socks (I used the gloves listing) would pull around 167 watts (14.7 amps). Two jackets and two pairs of gloves would pull about 200 watts (17.6 amps). So if Seb is correct (and I wouldn't doubt him), you may be fine AT SPEED and with no high beams. A cell phone, GPS, radar detector, MP3 player, or the like use very little power, so I wouldn't concern myself about them.

gallery_12878_5047_22844.png

That's quite a lot more than I initally expected and since the general state of advice here is...

I wouldn't try it but know people who have - I think I'll stick with letting the missus use the heated liner and gloves and I'll stick with just using one pair of heated gloves. I can still stay pretty much warm down to about 2C and I probably won't be going anywhere with her if it's any worse than that anyway.

Bring on Spring, then I can take my jacket liner back for repair!!

Thanks everybody for the sound advice :wheel:

I use a Gerbing heated jacket and gloves on a daily basis. I did the math, and I have to concur that the 6th gen has around 250 extra watts. About the only problem you may have, is if you are using both sets of heated gear on full blast at low rpms. You may end up discharging the battery. I wouldn't worry about it. And, I bought into the Tourmaster gear at first, but I ended up returning it. IMO, the Gerbing gear is the way to go.

• Member Contributer

will the VFR be able to cope with two sets of jacket liners and gloves for it's touring duties with pillion?

Like you, I have a '00. I've always checked my electrical connectors regularly, trying to keep things clean. On occasion, my wife and I will be touring and will have on simultaneously: my Gerbing jacket liner, her Gerbing jacket liner, pants liners, and Gerbing socks, and the heated handgrips. The voltmeter stays steady at 13.8-141.1, unless I roll out of the throttle and RPMs drop below 1800. Like someone else said, the volts then drop like a stone to 11 or even less, so I try to keep it rolling.

On our way across Wyoming for the Summit this year, my R/R-stator connector burnt on one leg (everything was switched on, near freezing that AM), so I put my jacket liner away for the rest of the trip. After putting in a VFRness and eliminating the connector (soldering), the system seems to handle the load much better, but I think I'm pushing things a bit sometimes. The stator wires will sometimes get warm when everything is on, but not overly hot.

BTW, I didn't discover the burnt connector until after we were home in Oregon, 6 riding-days later. I had just observed the voltmeter reading in an unstable manner on that cold morning, and for the rest of the trip. We were very, very lucky.

My simpleton understanding is that IF the voltmeter is showing it's "normal" voltage, and the stator wires are not overly warm, you're OK. Be very cautious of that stator connector, though, and keep the ground connections clean, too. Check into one of Tightwads VFRness kits.

Electrons are our friend, let them work for you, especially if they are keeping your pillion happy!

Archived