Video Editing Software???

ShayneJack

Alrighty, just got the new HD GoPRO cam for christmas, took a couple videos earlier today (some of which will not be aired to protect the "innocent") but am curious as to what kind of Video Editing Software is best? I'm running a PC and have heard the Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate is one of the best. Wanted to get some feedback as to what works for you and if there is any validity to the Pinnacle Studio 14. Just looking to add music, cut out the boring parts, make them nice and pretty.

Alrighty, just got the new HD GoPRO cam for christmas, took a couple videos earlier today (some of which will not be aired to protect the "innocent") but am curious as to what kind of Video Editing Software is best? I'm running a PC and have heard the Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate is one of the best. Wanted to get some feedback as to what works for you and if there is any validity to the Pinnacle Studio 14. Just looking to add music, cut out the boring parts, make them nice and pretty.

Well since you said "best" and didn't say "best under $xxx", I wholeheartedly recommend Sony Vegas Pro 9. Tons of youtube tutorials on how to use it. Made this with my ContourHD camera: (sorry, it's a car rather than a motorcycle vid)

you dont have to pay attention to me because I am a donkey, but I actually like moviemaker.

The real reason for this post is to tell you about anti-fog inserts...................they work.

The real reason for this post is to tell you about anti-fog inserts...................they work.

Thanks Timmy, I actually have a foggy insert, flat-black of course, but it didn't quite seal on this trip. Might need to adjust it. Usually works just fine. But as you could see I had to crack the visor. Temp was only 40 so really shouldn't have even fogged up in the first place.

Well since you said "best" and didn't say "best under $xxx", I wholeheartedly recommend Sony Vegas Pro 9. Tons of youtube tutorials on how to use it. Made this with my ContourHD camera: (sorry, it's a car rather than a motorcycle vid)

thanks klinquist, nice vid, exactly what I was looking for. I like how you put Rammstein in a German car competition! Nice touch! I took the liberty of updating your post to make it easier for others to see what you did as far as editing... thats the kind of editing I'm aiming for...

• Member Contributer

Nice Christmas present, congrats. It seems like the video quality is very good as well. I'm sure we are going to see some great videos being created by the great Shaynesta. :fing02: Keep em comin.

• Member Contributer
Well since you said "best" and didn't say "best under $xxx", I wholeheartedly recommend Sony Vegas Pro 9. Tons of youtube tutorials on how to use it.

:fing02:

Vegas is a good program. You can also get Adobe Premiere, but we have several at our multimedia office but nearly always use Vegas.

Enjoy.

I used windows moviemaker to do this video, Its was already on my computer (free).

I know it does not have all the bells and whistles that real video editing software does but,

I think it turns out some decent results. Go pro Hero camera

• Member Contributer

Start by installing the newest Klite codec pack.

Use vertual dub to cut your raw files, and when you cut them, re-encode to another codec. (Divix is better in movie maker, nero, and pinnacle). X-vid is the best, but can be choppy, in the for mentioned programs.

Open v-dub, add raw file, change video codec, change audio codec, (Mpeg 3 layer works well with divix), Highlight your sections, save avi as,...1,2,3, (or whatever), etc.

THEN compile in Nero, moviemaker, pinnacle, etc. any video longer than 15 min., I recommend, compiling in 3 or more "Finished sections", especially if you adding a lot of text or transitions. (Helps keep from losing everything, if your pc bogs down).

LOL.

sample. (Most of you have seen)

You can see where I didn't follow my own advise. chops, and single black frames, that were un-removable.

• Forum CEO

I like the wide angle of the gopro but it has that strange effect when bike bumps, is it the mount or what? Seen that bumpy effect I dont like, my old style analog camera dual viosport is not as wide angle but can be with a lens change. I use plain old moviemaker as well, its the right price!

here is my version of stove prarie road

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/videos/491/1236161190_stovepr.wmv.flv

Pinnacele is OK, lots of features but safe your work regularly as it sometimes is a bit unstable.

Use vertual dub to cut your raw files, and when you cut them, re-encode to another codec. (Divix is better in movie maker, nero, and pinnacle). X-vid is the best, but can be choppy, in the for mentioned programs.

For best quality it is better to keep (re)encoding steps to a minimum, one (multi pass) is all that is needed. I also recommend against using divx or xvid but use H.264 of x.264 as they offer better quality for size, have better support with video sites like youtube and vimeo and most modern video cards can decode the h.264 video so it puts less strain on your cpu dring playback.

I like the wide angle of the gopro but it has that strange effect when bike bumps, is it the mount or what?

Yes it was. This was the first video I made with the goPRO and basically took the suction-cup mount with an extended arm and stuck it to the windscreen. I've since learned that the arm can cause some vibration and it's best to use the adhesives and avoid the suction cup mount. I'm still learning! Will be analyzing the bike for best location points and adhering the adhesive mounts before running this weekend...

• Member Contributer

I've used pinnacle 9 before. Found it easy to use, but not very powerful, and very unstable. 10 wasn't much better from what I recall. Vegas isn't the easiest to use, but it has a lot of features and is pretty powerful. Haven't had any stability issues either so far, but I'm only using platinum, cause i don;t need all the toys, yet.

Used an editor in linux before. Cine...somthing. Forgot it's name. Was probably my favorite so far, but wasn't the best, if that makes sense.

Movie maker is a pain to use. It's simple and free, but no features whatsoever. not even a decent trimming tool.

Vegas platinum is only $80, i think, so it's still very affordable, and has enough features for most consumers.

I was using MovieMaker on my vids with the regular Hero Wide, and upgraded to the HD without doing any research. I got burned because I'm using a no frills lap top that's almost 5 years old and it doesn't even have enough RAM (1gig I believe) to play the raw videos smoothly. I asked this same question on the local forum and one of the guys that makes some nice vids that just upgraded to an HD recommended Sony Vegas Platinum for about $90.

Here's the link to the thread:

http://www.702sportbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30784

And here's the first video he made with it...

• Forum CEO

I plan on installing the updated version of ttvideos here, a youtube like clone modual. I had it on here before but it wasnt compatable with the latest version of the forum. The developer (ttmods) is working on it - or so he wrote on the invisionmods forums, but that was in Octorber and no word since. I think I need to reinstalled the codecs library though since some avi movies wont convert like they did before the server crash. Compiling ffmpeg is a major pain in the ass so I have been waiting till the video mod came out.

I can understand the wait cause I was going to release my gallery posting tool there last month too but have put it off till I can get it to work on the (wysiwyg - rich text editor) that part has me tripped up.

• Forum CEO

I like the wide angle of the gopro but it has that strange effect when bike bumps, is it the mount or what?

Yes it was. This was the first video I made with the goPRO and basically took the suction-cup mount with an extended arm and stuck it to the windscreen. I've since learned that the arm can cause some vibration and it's best to use the adhesives and avoid the suction cup mount. I'm still learning! Will be analyzing the bike for best location points and adhering the adhesive mounts before running this weekend...

I think I would be using a ram mount then like I do for my helmet cams. remove the suction parts and attach the ram base somehow, screws or whatever with silicone.

gallery_491_3604_408290.jpg

Camera set to go

gallery_491_3604_104965.jpg

Ram mounts

gallery_491_3604_416253.jpg

dual cam setup

gallery_491_3463_925.jpg

here you can see my cams front and back and the camera bag on the tank

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/videos/491/1236161198_stove08.wmv.flv

This my second video of Stove Prarie Road using both cameras instead of the one like in the first video.

For a PC movie maker is free and will do in a pinch.. Also buy using it, you will develop a list of things it cant do that you would like to do and then you can shop for software.

• Member Contributer

Used an editor in linux before. Cine...somthing. Forgot it's name. Was probably my favorite so far, but wasn't the best, if that makes sense.

Cinelerra, that's what I use too. Execellent editor but maybe not as feature rich as others.

THAT'S IT! I really loved that program, until I updated the kernel, and couldn't get it working again.

• Member Contributer

I too have been using Windows Movie Maker. For what I do, (motorcycle videos, watersports videos, and family event slides) Movie maker has been great for the price "free". But the problems I have with Movie Maker is that it locks up constantly. To try to arrange photos in a slideshow is a freaking pain. I am able to swap a couple photos and then it locks up. I have become very adept at making one change and then saving the project. The other problem I have with it is that cutting video footage is easy to do but it erases footage in large chunks. No finite adjustments. All in all it is awesome for being free.

Now, I got Pinnacle 14 Ultimate Studio for Christmas and at first I was stumbling around trying to find the same tools that the free Movie Maker has. Let me tell you, this is one powerful program. There are so many tools at your disposal that I definately need to read the manual. I am very very impressed with Pinnacle at this point. And the best part is that it was on sale at Best Buy for $80 last week.

Wow! What an awesome response! Thanks to everyone who responded! I'm now forced to decide amongst the numerous choices...

Seems I've heard quite a bit about the Pinnacle 14 Ultimate and the Sony Vegas Platinum. Both seem to be close in price ($80 vs. $90) and both seem to have the features I was looking for. Thanks to everyone who posted up sample videos and a big thanks to Miguel for not only posting a video but quite an assortment of pictures of his gear as well! Tough decisions! I think I might have to take a ride to clear my head! I'm going to look at altering my existing mounting options and see if I can find a more stable position. Guess this might have to take a couple more trial runs!

I hope this helps out anyone else who had the same questions!

• Member Contributer

Something I should have shared was info on the tutorials for Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate. I've never added a link before, so I hope this works. If not, go to Pinnaclesys.com, Products, Video Editing, pick Studio 14 Ultimate. Scroll down and on the right side there will be a "See What You Can Do" section. It has very informative tutorials that have been very helpfull to me. The Instruction manual comes in pdf form and is 461 pages. Way more stuff than I'll ever need but it is nice to know I won't ever want for more from this program. Good Luck!

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Studio+Ultimate+14.htm

• Member Contributer

Something I should have shared was info on the tutorials for Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate. I've never added a link before, so I hope this works. If not, go to Pinnaclesys.com, Products, Video Editing, pick Studio 14 Ultimate. Scroll down and on the right side there will be a "See What You Can Do" section. It has very informative tutorials that have been very helpfull to me. The Instruction manual comes in pdf form and is 461 pages. Way more stuff than I'll ever need but it is nice to know I won't ever want for more from this program. Good Luck!

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Studio+Ultimate+14.htm

Thanks Rosso! Gonna give that linux based a shot. All the programs I've used, default to a single pass. Nero has been bugging up the works. I loved the program, but now, they want another $20 bucks, to fix what has worked fine for me in the past. (Money grubb'n bastages).

Archived