Painting the dash surround

Veefer800Canuck

So I was planning on painting my gauge surround, I've seen a few that have done it body colour (Qdawg, and Tok Tokkie) but I thought I'd do it gloss black to contrast the (mostly) white RC51 scheme I've picked out.

Honda_sp2.jpg

This isn't my dash, but you get the idea, I thought of doing the gauge surround plus the rest of the dash plastic.

2787140514_eaa4e3f941.jpg

this bit:

321582254_tp.jpg

Thoughts? :goofy:

Whatever you end up doing ROb - I'm excited to be around to see your work in progress. Love the looks of that RC51 colour scheme - your bike is gonna be awesome. :fing02:

Gee, you're all so......helpful. twofinger.gif

I was really trying to see if anyone had done this on a 5th gen, and whether or not they sanded the plastic smooth, or just did the plastic solvent prep wash then paint over the rough OE finish.

I was leaning towards option #2, as I think the rough finish would look nicer.

I painted the ram air covers on my F4i to match the bike, and it made a world of difference!

August212005024.jpg

You just scuff, prime and paint like any other piece of bodywork and it will end up smooth due to the layers of paint.

I vote for all gloss black -or- painting the surround white with carbon fiber overlay on the gauge surround. :goofy:

I painted mine years ago because of some scratches. I wanted to leave the texturing, so I just scuffed it up and painted basically the same color (got the closest thing I could find at Advance Auto Parts). It looked good and lasted a few years, then it started to flake in a few spots. I ended up buying another one and putting it on so I didn't have to mess with sanding it down and trying it again. I can see if I still have the can of paint and tell you what it was. I can't remember exactly, but I would have thought I got something made for plastic.

Well, I wouldn't be the one painting it, and not with Krylon or any similar retail product.

The plan is to send the bodywork off to http://www.empiregp.com and have them do the paint job, which would include the plastics around the cockpit as shown above.

So they'd use the exact same professional paint products as they do on the ABS fairings, with of course, the flex agent necessary for such jobs.

If you wanted to check out a second option, there is a guy named Andrew Swenson that does the paint for quite a few of the WERA and NESBA guys.

Here is a link to some of his work:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=183197&highlight=andrew+swenson

I also know a guy that does awesome graphics too, if you are interested in recreating the decals. He is CKruzel in that same thread link.

If you wanted to check out a second option, there is a guy named Andrew Swenson that does the paint for quite a few of the WERA and NESBA guys.

Here is a link to some of his work:

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=183197&highlight=andrew+swenson

I also know a guy that does awesome graphics too, if you are interested in recreating the decals. He is CKruzel in that same thread link.

Hey, that looks good too. I'll have to drop him a line and a few pics, see what he says for pricing.

Thanks a lot. smile.gif

So they'd use the exact same professional paint products as they do on the ABS fairings, with of course, the flex agent necessary for such jobs.

A little O/T - from what I understand, flex agent is not necessary with modern paint; because so much of it goes onto plastic on your average modern car, it's already formulated to cope with the nature of plastic.

A little O/T - from what I understand, flex agent is not necessary with modern paint; because so much of it goes onto plastic on your average modern car, it's already formulated to cope with the nature of plastic.

:fing02:

I've painted quite a few bikes and haven't used a flex agent. Not needed at all IMO!

AZboy, thanks for the tip, Andrew got back to me, he sounds very positive to deal with, the pics of his work on the WERA boards are outstanding, and his pricing is reasonable. Will save me a couple hundred bucks versus the other guys I was looking at. :fing02:

What makes me feel better about using him is that there is a hardcore group of roadracers who have been using his services for years now on the same message board. And many, many repeat customers with nothing but high praise. :warranty:

It's a tight-knit community and I'm quite certain that if there were any fly-by-night outfits fleecing people with sub standard work and shady dealings, they'd be outed very soon, banned from the board, and serious negativity posted all over the site about their azz. :excl:

So a big thanks for the recommend! :beer:

AZboy, thanks for the tip, Andrew got back to me, he sounds very positive to deal with, the pics of his work on the WERA boards are outstanding, and his pricing is reasonable. Will save me a couple hundred bucks versus the other guys I was looking at. :fing02:

What makes me feel better about using him is that there is a hardcore group of roadracers who have been using his services for years now on the same message board. And many, many repeat customers with nothing but high praise. :warranty:

It's a tight-knit community and I'm quite certain that if there were any fly-by-night outfits fleecing people with sub standard work and shady dealings, they'd be outed very soon, banned from the board, and serious negativity posted all over the site about their azz. :excl:

So a big thanks for the recommend! :beer:

I am very happy that you decided to go with Andrew! I figured he would be the best guy, his customers are his advertisement. I am assuming he will probably use CKruzels graphics to complete the package, Kruzels work is the best available. I'm sure you will be very happy!

I have a request in concerning doing the Ten Kate/Hannspree WSBK replica paint for my machine. Haven't heard back yet

Archived