Group riding etiquette

fastbroshi

Guys,

I recently took part in a demo day at my local Honda dealer, and one of the rider's behavior caught me off guard and I was wondering what you all thought. Given I haven't ridden with many groups, but I thought what this guy was doing was unsafe.

We were riding in a group of about 7-8 bikes, and every time I'd let the guy in front of me stretch his lead on me a bit, he'd zoom on ahead. This happened several different times, after we'd changed bikes a couple times. I asked him about it and he didn't have a good answer other than that's the way his group rode. Now if EVERYBODY in your group is doing that, the outcome won't be good if you have to stop or swerve suddenly.

Way I see it this is dumb because I'm used to running in a staggered formation (as we were that morning), and knowing I have a bit of leeway going into turns is a good thing, or if I need to move a bit to miss an object in the road. Oh and he rides a 'Busa. Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

let it go man. You need to learn that if someone is going to be an asshat, then let him. Back off and let other people in front of you so as to take attention off yourself and let him do what he's going to do. You don't ride with him very often, so you don't know his mentality, nor about his riding skills. You said your piece, now if other people approach you about it, then he's a problem. People that take off usually are wanting to get it on. I ride with 5 guys specifically and we ride like that everytime we meet up. We've also never let anyone ever get into our group that couldn't keep up either unless we were on a specific no take off ride just cruise. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I have ridden in different groups. In some I was the faster rider. In others, I was completely outclassed by others. Regardless, if someone in front or behind me is doing something that freaks me out, I position myself as far away from that person as I can. I want to concentrate on my own riding and not on someone else's.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like this was a collection of random guys. I like to leave a good space between myself and the guy ahead of me if I don't know him. This guy just seemed like he had the need to blow by someone. Otherwise, he would have just stayed in front of you the whole time. Was he doing the same thing to other riders?

On the other hand, it is a demo ride, so they're probably nice bikes that I wouldn't be able to afford. I'd want to wring every ounce of fun I could get out of the bike. Then again, he does ride a busa, so maybe he just has no self control.

I'm not sure what you're describing exactly. If you gave the rider ahead some space and then he went faster, creating more of a gap, how would that be a problem? As speed increases so should following distance. Or maybe I'm not understanding your description...?

Riding in a staggered formation is fine on freeways and straight two-lane roads, but once in the twisties the group should switch to single file and increase following distances between riders. Faster riders in front so the slower guys don't feel pressured or encouraged to ride faster than they should - and so the faster riders can do their thing. If you're in the middle of a group and finding it hard to keep up, pull to the right edge of the road, slow a bit and wave the next rider(s) around.

I'm not into groups of over 3/4, but having been a member of a 300 plus bike club(Pres for a year (BMW Club of Colorado). I had to learn all the stuff to do it safely(and not lose anyone(direction wise). Not to get into all that's needed to know before riding in a group, I'll just say, I take the last position in a group, then I can control what's going on to, my liking..... Remember that the biggest cause of accident's in group rides, are following to close, and "TRYING" to stay in one pack on a public road. So what if a car is between you, if there is a direction change or stop, the last bike waits to be seen by the next rider, then carry on. No staggering in the s's keep a 2 sec. interval. Follow your own line. And if you must ride anywhere but the drag-position(which is also the fastest position by-the-way).... Make sure,verbally,how far you'd like him to stay behind you, it's "your" a-- ....

I'm not sure what you're describing exactly. If you gave the rider ahead some space and then he went faster, creating more of a gap, how would that be a problem? As speed increases so should following distance. Or maybe I'm not understanding your description...?

Riding in a staggered formation is fine on freeways and straight two-lane roads, but once in the twisties the group should switch to single file and increase following distances between riders. Faster riders in front so the slower guys don't feel pressured or encouraged to ride faster than they should - and so the faster riders can do their thing. If you're in the middle of a group and finding it hard to keep up, pull to the right edge of the road, slow a bit and wave the next rider(s) around.

I see by the time stamp on our two post, that they're the same.... Like the info "Great minds think alike" :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Sounds like opened a gap and the guy BEHIND him came around to fill the gap... at least that what it makes me think, anyway?

The way it is written is confusing, but that's the way I interpreted it, also.

The demo rides I'm aware of have a manufacturer's rep in the lead. He spells out the rules before departing (e.g., no passing, period). I'm surprised he didn't take control of the situation.

The only advice I can give you is to stay a safe distance behind the dummy where you will have a good view of him going down. Then perhaps you will have an opportunity to run over his hand (J/K!)

goofy.gif

Typically I'm the fastest rider in the group of people I ride with. That being said I normally ride out front, but on the off chance that I choose to ride more as a part of the group; newbies and squids still bother me. So I will seek seperation from those individuals. It shouldnt be a point of embaressment to confront someone who makes you uncomfortable, it's your safety...

• Member Contributer

I've found that dealer demo rides tend to attract lots of no-skill-having, not-familiar-with-riding-ettiquie newbies. A few weeks ago I swung by a Triumph dealer since their demo truck was in town, and they were doing 20-minute group rides led and followed by control riders. On the first ride, I was in about fifth position, and it was obvious to me that the guy diagonally forward from me had no idea what he was doing... very unstable, almost dropping the bike at stops, etc. So, I hung back an extra seconds worth of space to give him some extra room. Well, the guy diagonally behind me takes this as an invitation to just cruise by me in the same lane, following the guy I had let get ahead. WTF, whatever, I drop back some more and just take up a stagger position behind the guy who passed me.

A few minutes later we're coming to an intersection and the light turns yellow. I'm not going to make it through, so I come to a smooth stop (the guy in front of me should've stopped too, he pretty much ran the red to stay with the lead group). I'm already stopped with my feet down when I hear a chirping, then screetching, as a guy on a Bonnie slides right past my right side, less then two feet away, back tire locked up and smoking. He slides a good ten feet into the intersection before coming to a stop, turns around with a sheepish smile, and walks the bike back out of the cross-traffic. My heart is going about 200bpm and I probably would have pushed him over, except he didn't own the bike.

When we got back I had a talk with the control riders, and they agreed to let me hang at the very back for the rest of the rides. Had a good time chatting with the tail guy at all the stop lights. From now on if I'm riding with a group I don't know, I'm either at the very back, or seperate from the group.

• Member Contributer

Yikes, sckego! I thought you had to have your endorsement to take a demo ride. You mean there are dweebs out there with an endorsement who know absolutely nothing about riding? No wonder the accident and mortality rates are so high.

• Member Contributer

I definitely prefer to be staggered and I prefer to be third in line. (just a weird preference) I feel like if I'm the lead, I might as well be on my own ride. If I'm 3rd-ish, I feel like part of a group ride and I'm also usually a speedy rider so the "lead/pace" fits well. If I happen to be 4th or 5th back, I will let the first few get some distance on me somewhat separating the group into two. I have seen what a train wreck looks like and want NO part of it. If somebody wants to pass me, by all means I let 'em go. They can be the caboose in the train wreck.

See what happens when 26 bikers ride too close...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32923524/ns/us_news-life/

Archived