Need Info, Power Adapter In Steering Stem?

Guest thedrunknmastr

Guest thedrunknmastr

Hey there, I seen some bikes and guys talkign about installing a power outlet (cig style) inthe steering tube right in front where the tank bolts down. My friend tried this it this weekend on his vfr but the socket didn't fit ... is there a certain type that's needed to fit in there? what and where is it called? any help is appreciated thanks.

C

Hey there, I seen some bikes and guys talkign about installing a power outlet (cig style) inthe steering tube right in front where the tank bolts down. My friend tried this it this weekend on his vfr but the socket didn't fit ... is there a certain type that's needed to fit in there? what and where is it called? any help is appreciated thanks.

C

The Powerlet plugs are smaller than a standard cig lighter plug, I think there refereed to as BMW plugs.

• Member Contributer

I wonder if there is a cigarette lighter thing that could be made to fit in there. I recently won a GPS, but the powerlet port and the adapter come to almost $60. Anyone know if this could work.

• Member Contributer

The one mentioned above apparently is VFR specific but the one I used on mine is significantly cheaper. I just had to heat shrink the wiring to prevent shorts and added some electrical tape to the threads and stuffed it down the steerer.

VFR3.jpg

• Member Contributer
You can also order all Powerlet items from member Tightwad. :laugh:

Tightwad's website www.wiremybike.com actually has powerlet gear significantly cheaper than anywhere else. He only sells quality stuff.

Will a steering stem power outlet wires interfere with a steering stem stand.. I assume the wires come out the bottom.

It won't interfere with anything, and yes it goes through and comes out the bottom.... the eletric blade on one side of the powerlet is real close to the edge but it will still slide through.... It's the ground blade, so it's not going to short anything....

• Member Contributer
I wonder if there is a cigarette lighter thing that could be made to fit in there. I recently won a GPS, but the powerlet port and the adapter come to almost $60. Anyone know if this could work.

Here's the adapter I rigged up using the Powerlet angled plug. I cut the plug end off and soldered the wires directly to the circuit board, then used the ole hot glue gun to encase it. I use Velcro tabs to hold it to the bike. I think the Powerlet angle plug was about $15? I also cut out several inches of wire so I didn't have to loop it up. Isn't real polished, but works just fine none the less. If you can find the adapter with the fuse in the side of the body of the adapter that would be preferable. This one does not have a fuse, plan on cutting one in this winter, or finding one with the fuse in the side of the adapter.

• Member Contributer

You can get an adapter that has the male BMW plug on one end, and the cigarette type female receptical on the other. I have one. It is rather tall, though.

Check www.wiremybike.com or www.easternbeaver.com, or anywhere they sell Powerlet stuff.

pac001.jpg

Archived