Shoei Rf1100 Opinions?

vfrcapn

• Member Contributer

Wondering if anyone has tried out the new Shoei RF1100 or X12 helmets? My 1000 is almost past it's sell by date and I see the 1100 has a fully removable liner now, finally. The 1100 is supposed to substantially reduce wind noise over the 1000 so has anyone tried it and can provide a comparison to the 1000?

2010-Shoei-RF-1100-Solid-Helmet.gif

--- When did it come out? Jeez - I just bought the RF -1000.....

MD

I think this week or next week is what I heard.

No worries, the RF1000 is an awesome helmet.

- Patrick

• Member Contributer
--- When did it come out? Jeez - I just bought the RF -1000.....

MD

I think this week or next week is what I heard.

No worries, the RF1000 is an awesome helmet.

- Patrick

I think the RF1100 came out Sept. 1, the X12 is supposed to be available in the next few days. Both meet the new Snell2010 standards which are suposed to be safer for those with smaller heads - not something I have to worry about. :fing02:

I think the RF1100 came out Sept. 1, the X12 is supposed to be available in the next few days. Both meet the new Snell2010 standards which are suposed to be safer for those with smaller heads - not something I have to worry about. :beer:

I just want it for the completely removable interior (I'm a sweat hog), the new aerodynamics and the new venting. I have a huge head so that's not a problem for me either hahaha.

Just trying to decide if I want white like my 1000 or one in red to match my VFR :fing02:

- Patrick

• Member Contributer

First, let it be said, that I have a Shoei head.

I've been using an X-11 since early spring. It was a upgrade from an RF1000, and is the best helmet that I have had. The X-11 really flows the air! The vents give good control of the air flow, but sometimes whistle a little. Next to no problem with fogging, 44 degrees on my 35 mile commute yesterday, with only the chin vent open. Stable at speed. All in all, I am very satisfied. I believe the Axis Yellow has saved my butt approaching intersections a time or two.

Mac

I too have a Shoei RF, but I can't tell ya what number, because then you would all yell at me for using such an old helmet....

Let me just say, that will change in 2010. I have spent a small fortune lately buying and keeping up with regulations in my SA Rated helmets (for car, on track) but now those newer helmets are not going to be needed.

Crying damnn shame my SA's won't work for the bike, they are just too noisy as no attempt is made to keep the surface perfectly smooth.

That RF1100 looks flat out beautiful!

I'm not due for a new lid, but I'm thinking about buying one soon anyway, probably a Shoei. Seem to be the best bang for the buck in upscale helmets, esp. when the older models are on sale!

I like the Szoke design on the RF-1000, but my next helmet will likely be solid yellow, like the Axis Yellow Mac mentioned above. :rolleyes:

Also, I showed the Szoke design to my wife for her opinion recently. "Too sexist?" I asked. "No, but that's a young man's helmet. You're too old for it," she said. WHAT?! :dry: tongue.gif

• Member Contributer
So, given no drops or falls, how often do you guys replace a perfectly good helmet?

If it's perfectly good I wouldn't replace it. My RF1000 is about 5.5 years old though and has seen a lot of use. I'll probably replace it next spring when it's about 6 years old if I can get a decent deal on the 1100.

• Member Contributer

well, I've been wearing RF's for the better part of the past decade and never had have a problem. Super Great Helmets. By the looks of it, its going to be another great RF helmet!

The 1100 is supposed to substantially reduce wind noise over the 1000 so has anyone tried it and can provide a comparison to the 1000?

I'm curious too. My biggest complaint with the 1000 is wind noise, and yes, I do wear earplugs. I thought I might try different wind screens, but after an extensive test ride on a Superduke, I didn't really notice much difference in helmet noise. The air doesn't get any cleaner than on a naked!

• Member Contributer

Ive never had the chance to use a Shoei helmet of any kind. :biggrin: Everyone talks about how they are so great so I'm going for one next go around. I like to get a new helmet every two years or so, just really depends on how good of a deal I come across. I currently use a Scorpion EXO1000.

• Member Contributer

There's an X12? In that case, don't bother with the RF1100 and get a closeout X11 on ebay or somewhere. I got an X11 a couple years ago and love it. I bought another off ebay in January cause I wrecked on the track in my original.

Mac posted "Stable at speed" well mine was tested at 144 mph! Also at 100 degrees. Ken had sweat literally dripping from his liner when he put it on for one session, but mine was fine all day. Once I remembered to open the vent, of course. Wasn't awful before, but you definitely know when the vents are open after a couple sessions at 100 degrees with them closed!

Back to the stable at speed, comment. Never fluttered or vibrated down the back stretch at Road Atlanta, and my RC51's original windscreen is fairly low. I used to wear a Large until I was edumacated when looking for my previous new helmet. The Medium fits nice and snug without being too tight.

• Member Contributer

Our first RF1100s are getting shipped this week. So we should have them by middle of next week. Probably won't get any X12s for another few weeks. Evidently Helmet House (shoie distributor) is rationing them to everyone.

Ooh I love it when manufacturers come out with new stuff, then cheap asses like me can try to find a deal! Maybe I can afford a RF1000 now too! Compacc is the king of buying up remaining supplies and liquidating them.

• Member Contributer

Crap! I was all set to buy a Vector, and now Shoei makes an RF-1100.... The removable liner is definitely a plus. Shoei needs to work on making their interiors as comfortable as Arai does. I love the outside of my RF1000, but I love the inside of my Astral. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

PS: STILL no anti-fog shield?

• Member Contributer
Wondering if anyone has tried out the new Shoei RF1100 or X12 helmets? My 1000 is almost past it's sell by date and I see the 1100 has a fully removable liner now, finally. The 1100 is supposed to substantially reduce wind noise over the 1000 so has anyone tried it and can provide a comparison to the 1000?

I've read an article that found the specs between the two similar enough to question whether the X-12 is worth the extra cash. Wish I could find the article for you. I think it said that the X-12 may be slightly heavier than the X-11. Because of this I am considering the RF1100. Both use new face shields, so you can forget about re-using your older tinted shields.

On a second note, don't limit yourself to a Shoei because you think you have a "Shoei head." I've worn nothing but Shoeis but I found I fit very nicely into the top of the line Arai, which is similar in price, features, and fit to the X-11, my current helmet.

Webbikeworld always has great reviews on helmets. I am going to wait for their review before I make a decision.

• Member Contributer
I've read an article that found the specs between the two similar enough to question whether the X-12 is worth the extra cash. Wish I could find the article for you. I think it said that the X-12 may be slightly heavier than the X-11. Because of this I am considering the RF1100. Both use new face shields, so you can forget about re-using your older tinted shields.

On a second note, don't limit yourself to a Shoei because you think you have a "Shoei head." I've worn nothing but Shoeis but I found I fit very nicely into the top of the line Arai, which is similar in price, features, and fit to the X-11, my current helmet.

Webbikeworld always has great reviews on helmets. I am going to wait for their review before I make a decision.

Article on the weight of the X12: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/09/...er-than-x-.html

The X12 may be a great helmet at $690 or whatever, but my original KBC VR1 was also a great helmet at about $125. Never could fit in to an Arai though.

• 2 weeks later...

shoeis rock !!!!!!!!!! best helment for me have a suomy eagle its good but i miss my piccotte jester shoei..best helment i ever had ....and ive had about 10 helments

Archived