Shoei Rf1100 Opinions?

vfrcapn

Well I need to get a full face helmet this next year if I'm going to do any track days.

I've tried the rf1100 on my head and it fits as well as my multi-tec or its rf1000 cousin.

The only question in my mind is are the few details really worth having to buy new screens and pinlocks as well as the more expensive helmet, or is getting an rf1000 before they go away the better deal?

I 2 different shoei helmets, and sadly I am not at home right now and have a terrible memory so I cant give the model numbers...

But I love them both, and am going to stick with the shoei brand when its time to look for a new one (after a drop, fall, or when the 5 year mark rolls around on them) There is some windnoise, but w/ earplugs its barely an issue, and its never been loud enough to give me tinnitus even before I wised up and started wearing earplugs.

The X11 is the best helmet I have ever owned. It is very light and flows a lot of air. I would highly recommend picking one up on closeout! You won't be disappointed.

• Member Contributer

I have a whole row of Shoei RF1000 helmets on top of one of the bookshelves in my living room. I'm actually fairly kind to my helmets, I don't bash them around or drop them, so they look pretty good on the outside (at least they do when I bother to clean the bugs off). But since the true protective stuff is the liner, I buy a new one every 20 - 30K, whenever the liners start to look tired. I just got a new one (Axis Yellow!) to replace the white one I've been wearing for the last two years. The red one I had before that is still on the shelf, since I have been using it once in a while when the white one is sweaty, or when I want a helmet without a headset in it. I might not demote it - it actually looks in better shape than the white one, these days.

And now they bring out a new one. With different face shields and a removable liner. Hopefully the RF1100 will fit like the RF1000 instead of like the RF900!

I've tried on a couple Shoei's and they are very comfortable. I kind of like the new rear vents design better on the new RF-1100, as opposed to the RF-1000.

Not sure if I'd rather save money on the old model or go with the new one. Luckily I don't have to choose, since my old helmet is still in good shape. I might upgrade in another year or two tho. smile.gif

Hopefully the RF1100 will fit like the RF1000 instead of like the RF900!

Agreed. When I owned it my RF800 was the most comfortable helmet I'd ever owned. I tried an RF900 in the store and it had pressure points almost immediately. I've got an RF1000 right now and it's very comfortable again.

• 4 years later...

i have an x12 the vents work well in the summer-

i am a shoei person they fit me better so maybe try on different brands-- ive had 4 shoeis liked them all; but miss my jester helmet best one of all of them--

back to x12 it has a little wind noise above speed limits like above- i don't want to encourage speeding just had open road needed to see what see could do- at 70 below is great tight on checks at first; has some cool features removable check pads in case bad crash to get helmet off-- has a nose piece too- all in all i like it would buy another--quick change screens too always loved that..

• Member Contributer

Recently upgraded from my 6 yr old RF1000 to a GT Air.

Wind noise and buffetting is substantially reduced. Great fit and feel.

On my test ride (before hibernation) I was even able to ride with no ear plug in my right ear and still had a quiet, comfortable ride.

I'll be posting my RF1000 with 3 shields to pay it forward next week (size L). Unless of course the consensus is that it's too and like an old condom in the wallet, should just be disposed of.

• Member Contributer

Recently upgraded from my 6 yr old RF1000 to a GT Air.

Wind noise and buffetting is substantially reduced. Great fit and feel.

On my test ride (before hibernation) I was even able to ride with no ear plug in my right ear and still had a quiet, comfortable ride.

I'll be posting my RF1000 with 3 shields to pay it forward next week (size L). Unless of course the consensus is that it's too and like an old condom in the wallet, should just be disposed of.

I recently acquired a GTair as well. Great lid but not Snell rated, so the rf1100 is still the goto lid for track use (snell required at MMP).

Archived