Through With Zg Windscreens

JES_VFR

Question

Well I'm through with Zero Gravity windscreens as the second screen in a year has broken.

That makes the third ZG touring screen I've installed on my 01 VFR, and the second to break for little to no reason.

I've ordered a MRA Vario screen and will have it probably by friday. Does anyone else here have one on their bike?

Pros ?

Cons ?

I did go nuts trying to see what it would look like on the 5th gen, so when I get it on mine, I'll post some pictures here.

ps. Hooray were back!!

• Member Contributer
Well I'm through with Zero Gravity windscreens as the second screen in a year has broken.

That makes the third ZG touring screen I've installed on my 01 VFR, and the second to break for little to no reason.

I've ordered a MRA Vario screen and will have it probably by friday. Does anyone else here have one on their bike?

Pros ?

Cons ?

I did go nuts trying to see what it would look like on the 5th gen, so when I get it on mine, I'll post some pictures here.

ps. Hooray were back!!

I think Monk may have one or RedRover over on VFRWorld has one too - may have some photos... looks interesting....

MD

I'm pretty certain that it can't be worse than the Givi touring screen with its big ugly flip lip.

And from the rave reviews of the MRA of german screens it pretty much as to be a more durable screen than ZG.

But is kind of frustrating that MRA doesn't show the screens on a bike or worse they often show a clear one.

I had to dig for pictures of their screens on my bikes (01 vfr and 02 rc51). I could not find a good picture of any MRA on a 5th gen VFR and only poor shot of their touring screen on an rc51 (clear screen with white background from too far away).

As long as this screen lives up to about 75% of the MRA reputation, I'll be thrilled and get their touring for the RC.

• Member Contributer
I'm pretty certain that it can't be worse than the Givi touring screen with its big ugly flip lip.

And from the rave reviews of the MRA of german screens it pretty much as to be a more durable screen than ZG.

But is kind of frustrating that MRA doesn't show the screens on a bike or worse they often show a clear one.

I had to dig for pictures of their screens on my bikes (01 vfr and 02 rc51). I could not find a good picture of any MRA on a 5th gen VFR and only poor shot of their touring screen on an rc51 (clear screen with white background from too far away).

As long as this screen lives up to about 75% of the MRA reputation, I'll be thrilled and get their touring for the RC.

Theres a review and some pics on a 6th gen on this thread......

http://vfrworld.com/forums/modifications/2...ded-review.html

MD

Theres a review and some pics on a 6th gen on this thread......

http://vfrworld.com/forums/modifications/2...ded-review.html

MD

I saw that when I was looking on Sunday.

It looks good to me on the 6th gen, but then again the Givi looks good on the 6th gen to me also.

The 5th gen screen is different enough from the 6th before you try to change it that most of the alternative screens look funky on the 5th.

I guess it can't be worse.

I had three, and only can be excused as crash damage.

One cracked at the vent edge and ran over to behind the left side tabs, now it was three years old when this happened.

And now this one has broken off both the right side tabs, but this one was less than a year old.

• Member Contributer
I had three, and only can be excused as crash damage.

One cracked at the vent edge and ran over to behind the left side tabs, now it was three years old when this happened.

And now this one has broken off both the right side tabs, but this one was less than a year old.

My Givi touring shield tore itself asunder, also. All the tabs broke, one at a time I guess, until the screen flipped backwards onto my dash at speed. Not a good feeling. I went back to the OEM shield and am quite happy with it. After about 8,000 miles, with lots of high speed slab, I like it better than the Givi.

From the very small sample I took...the aftermarket screens appears to be much thinner than the OEM. I have had good luck with my OEM screen, but I could use a bit different air flow, it all hits under my chin.

• Member Contributer

I have not had an MRA Vario screen on my VFR, but I had one on the V-Strom. It was a super high quality item. I ran it for about 50K and had no trouble with it. I'd buy it again.

I have not had an MRA Vario screen on my VFR, but I had one on the V-Strom. It was a super high quality item. I ran it for about 50K and had no trouble with it. I'd buy it again.

See that is the kind of post I can find all over the place, but zero pictures of the 5th gen with one.

I know that I'll have to take some myself to remedy the issue.

I'll also have handle the two threaded inserts in the back corners of the upper cowl.

one just fell out the other day and the other one is turning like a top.

It kind of figures, all this stuff cropping up just before WDGAH.

It kind of figures, all this stuff cropping up just before WDGAH.
If it make you feel any better, I had to drop a new battery in yesterday. Better than doing it in the middle of next week on my way to WDGAH ... smile.gif

twisted throttle dot com sells that screen for around 150.00 and they have pics on the site

4665-500x600.jpg

They pictures of a 6th gen.

They don't have pictures of an MRA on a 5th gen, I even called Derick up there and asked.

Okay guys, the MRA is on the VFR.

I posted the pictures I took to my flicker account.

They are in this photoset - 5th Gen VFR gets MRA vario screen

My summary of the screen, It's a quality piece. Slightly thicker than the ZG one and definitely made of a firmer plastic.

It fit better both at the front and rear of the upper fairing and was pretty darn easy to slip into place. I'd give it an 8.5 on a scale of ten. For reference I'd give the original Honda screen a 9.6 and the Zero Gravity about a 5.

Still it would be nice if an aftermarket company could have gotten the shape correct at the front so that the screen meets the character ridge of the upper fairing.

I'm not in love with advertising there brand name on the front of the screen, but I suppose I could find a nice block letter Honda or VFR vinyl sticker to cover it.

As for how does it ride, I did not get to put more than about a mile on it since I got it installed this after noon. But I did notice that its different. Definitely moving the still air pocket up, how far? too early to tell.

More on that later.

ps. I bought it at Eurocorsa.com in Scarborough ON, ONLY, because twistedthrottle was out of them and I could not wait 4 weeks to get one from Germany (this is my daily vehicle after all). Twistedthrottle is still one of my first sources and now that I have one MRA, I'll be ordering others. I'll send Derick some pictures of it so that they have some of the screen on a bike.

I really liked the TARGA screen that came with my bike when I bought it, but it was broken (from the PO crashing it). I liked how thick it was, it was like twice as thick as the ZG.

BUT, I like the shape of the ZG SR screen much better. The TARGA screen is too "flat" and makes the front end look weird now looking at it with the ZG. I also don't like TARGA's mounting system either.

So far so good with the ZG screen, but it's only been on for a day. I also bought it as a factory second for half the price as normal so if something happens to it I'm not really out much comparatively.

- Patrick

One thing that seems to always come to surface on why these things crack, is that they were tightened down to much.... If applicable....

No, I don't have that make.

gallery_16535_4484_2246282.jpg

DSC00079.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_114315.jpg

DSC00080.JPG

One thing that seems to always come to surface on why these things crack, is that they were tightened down to much.... If applicable....

No, I don't have that make.

gallery_16535_4484_2246282.jpg

DSC00079.JPG

gallery_16535_4484_114315.jpg

DSC00080.JPG

I think that is a lamanar lip

duh it's in the photo.... :beer:

So now I'm confused. :beer:

There's a guy here in UnZud importing Zero gravity screens at a really good price, and I was all set to buy one, until I read JesVFR's post.

Then Veffer800Canuck goes and says his was perfect, so right I'm back where I was. Do I buy one, or not?

FWIW, I like the OEM screen, but it's got chips from bits of rock hitting it, and some strange marks that won't buff out that are due I think, to brake fluid splashing on it. I'd really like a dark tint screen in the OEM shape, as I've seen a Blackbird the same colour as my VFR with one on (in DB shape), and it looked most splendiferous.

What's the tribe's consensus on the Puig screen(s)?

I sold lots of Puig's screens for other brands and other bikes, but never ever had my hands on one for a VFR.

And since I could not find one to look at for my 5th generation bike, it got dropped off the list.

I think the puig makes a quality screen, I just can't tell you how their VFR designs look.

And to Ian, I don't know what to tell you. Rob had a DB screen on his VFR, I had the sport touring screen on mine.

I loved it,... until the last one cracked, then I went looking for another.

FWIW I have the ZG ST screen on the RC51 and its a fine piece. I'm not sold on the looks or the functionality of the shape, but is has held up well (it even took a good sized apple without damage).

ON the Puig...

It's still not as thick as stock, but it is indeed thicker than ZG. I broke the upper rt hand tab on install, you have to flex the thing to install it, I think this may be something that helps it stay in place though. I also was very careful to not over tighten it. With the one tab 3/4 broken off and all the screws AND GROMMETS (rubber washers), in place it held up great, and gave me more wind protection essentially raising the wind deflection to the top of my helmet from about my chin or neck with the stock screen.

ohh btw that's a picture of me with the puig screen mounted to the left there under my screen name.

Archived