Anyone Want To Try And Fix Their Tank Dent Like This?

AvalonRacing

• Member Contributer

I found this online (I think it was a link from a digg.com page). I cannot attest to whether it works or that it will not damage anything but I would love to know if it does work. Surely someone has a tank dent or dent in their car and they don't mind risking some paint damage.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remov...with_airduster/

If you try it out let us know how it works.

I have a small dent in the Odyssey that needs fixing before its lease runs out. This seems cheap enough to give a try. Will post back on my results.

I found this online (I think it was a link from a digg.com page). I cannot attest to whether it works or that it will not damage anything but I would love to know if it does work. Surely someone has a tank dent or dent in their car and they don't mind risking some paint damage.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379/remov...with_airduster/

If you try it out let us know how it works.

I sent this to my brother.... He does dents for a living .... So I'll see what he has to say about it........

I've heard of using dry ice .... But this looks like a better application method...

I tried a hot air gun and some freeze spray on a small dent in my tank (several times).

Despite getting the tank too hot to touch, then so cold it had a thick layer of ice, it didn't work. sad.gif

• Member Contributer

Just tried this very same technique and got the target tank dent good & hot with a hair drier. Dry ice wasn't cold enough, air duster liquid wasn't cold enough, I couldn't get the dent to budge.

I know heat shrinking metal works, but I need to get the tank hotter like with a heating tip on a torch, and I need to try and smooth the dent out somewhat by hand first. In the end I just bought another tank to fix my hail damage.

If the metal has been plastically deformed, which is likely with hail damage, this trick won't work. The dent shown in the video could also have been removed by just pushing with your hand from the inside, but then you had to remove the doorpanel and maybe the windscreen.

Automobile sheet metal today is quite thin while fuel tanks on bikes are rather thick metal. That is what makes the difference. That technique won't work on something like a 55 Buick due to the gauge of the sheet metal used. It is a neat "trick" though. Also, it will not work on any dent that has a creased section involved.

If the metal has been plastically deformed, which is likely with hail damage, this trick won't work. The dent shown in the video could also have been removed by just pushing with your hand from the inside, but then you had to remove the doorpanel and maybe the windscreen.

that is what i was wondering. i have a crumpled dent in my gixxer tank instead of a "wave" dent. i can't imagine this would work on my type dent. cool trick though. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Its pure BS. The thing about Metacafe is you get paid based on the number of views that your video gets. Notice in the video that you can't see the whole car or where the guy goes after he removes his hand from the video. Hmmmmm maybe he's pressing out the dent with his hand from the other side. When you make something impossible appear to be possible, your going to get alot of hits thus getting paid. $$$$$$$$$$

I agree with the thickness of the steel. Remember a good ole' pre-80's american car. You could walk on it and not dent it. I have to be careful at work not to lean on a honda fender too much or it will cave in. Our tanks are 3 times thicker, IMO.

The little car in the video is made of old budweiser cans. Anyone could reach on the inside and pop it out.I call BS.

• Member Contributer

As an old body tech I have used the same basic techinique many times and it will work at times, but it depends on the thickness of the metal, presence or lack of body lines, severity of the dent etc.

George

• Member Contributer
As an old body tech I have used the same basic techinique many times and it will work at times, but it depends on the thickness of the metal, presence or lack of body lines, severity of the dent etc.

George

You don't get a much better testimonial than that...

Of course it won't work on a '55 Buick. Hell you can't put a dent in a '55 Buick unless you hit it with a '54 Buick. As for late model, thin, sheet metal I once put a crease in an Acura by pushing too hard when trying to get it out of the gutter in a snow storm (I was pissed a myself for that one).

My wife has a Subaru that some anonymous J-hole dented. The dent looks like the one in the video. I just might have to try this technique. I'll post back it it works... Or if the car explodes.

Archived