Vfr Thoughts

VFRbeliever

• Member Contributer

My personal experience riding multiple motorcycles is limited. I've only owned two. A 1986 Kawasaki 550LTD and my 2002 VFR. I've had opportunities to ride a few other bikes, mostly owned by friends or test riding at dealerships. Among these are 1986 Honda Sabre V45, 2003 Honda CBR F4i, 2005 Suzuki GSXR 750, 1996 Kawasaki Concours, 2006 Kawasaki Concours, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster 696, 2008 Aprillia Tuono 1000R, and a few others.

What I keep coming back to is that I have yet to find another motorcycle that balances aggressive street riding (sport riding) with normal long distance treks (touring) so very well.

I rode a friends Concours last night and it made me think about all of this again. The Concours was extremely comfortable, cushy seat, soft suspension, smooth motor, high windshield etc. But coming off the VFR and riding the Kawi felt like going from a Cooper mini to a Lincoln Town Car. I lost my feel of the road. I lost the quick throttle response. I lost the wind in my face. Cornering was more of a chore than a pleasure. I think I would like the Kawi for long days on the highway, but too much of what I call the motorcycle experience was missing.

On the other end, the Duc 1098 was an absolute blast to ride. Power everywhere, light, flickable, faster than I would ever need to go. However, the seat was very hard, the seating position had most of my weight forward on the bars, very small and cramped, mirrors were useless, crank the throttle to about half and the front wheel starts to lift, crank it open and you're staring at the sky, and while the motor sounds awesome, it about vibrated my hands numb.

I don't know what the magic is with the VFR, but it's got it for me. Motor size? Weight? HP to weight ratio? Ergos? Rake and trail? Fairings? Windshield height? I can't put my finger on one thing that makes me like the VFR so much. It is the perfect balance for everything I want to do on the street.

I'm not looking for a long discussion here because it's all been said before. Just wanted to share what I was thinking.

I agree with you.

I also think it is worth noting that with the possible new VFR, there is 50 percent calls for a more relaxed seating position and a bigger/adjustable screen and 50 percent calls for a lighter more nimble bike. I think it is a VFR already, before they glue a logo on the side.

I cannot for the life of me think of a bike that splits the difference like a VFR does.

• Member Contributer

Meh....that's what after market bars, seats and windscreens are for. Weight is the only issue you can't work around too much without getting drastic. And that's what frame sliders are for. :goofy:

I have been a long time admirer of the VFR. Ever since my riding buddy got one in 98. I loved the look, didn't ride one until about two weeks ago. I bought it. Haven't gotten to take a ride longer then 75 miles yet, but love it. I still look at it and can't believe I finally have one. My only real complaint at this point is that the darn insurance company considers it a sport bike and charges at that rate. The price difference between my Nighthawk and the VFR is unbelievable. I think I was paying $200 a year for full coverage versus $900 a year now.

Cheers

Bry

I have been a long time admirer of the VFR. Ever since my riding buddy got one in 98. I loved the look, didn't ride one until about two weeks ago. I bought it. Haven't gotten to take a ride longer then 75 miles yet, but love it. I still look at it and can't believe I finally have one. My only real complaint at this point is that the darn insurance company considers it a sport bike and charges at that rate. The price difference between my Nighthawk and the VFR is unbelievable. I think I was paying $200 a year for full coverage versus $900 a year now.

Cheers

Bry

Bry, shop that insurance rate. My original company quoted me arround $800 for the year full coverage incl collision and I am in my 50's with no tickets or accidents/claims. I ended up with the same amount of coverage and a few add ons for $350.00 per year! Worth the time to shop it! BTW, welcome here (both of you) and enjoy the VFR(s).

It's interesting how VFR owners take their bikes and the direction they go in when they start personalizing them.

One group (including myself) spends tons of $$$ on suspension, tires, every little trick they can to get it more high performance. On the other hand, many VFR owner's load their bikes up with saddle bags, every electronic device there is, Heli-bars, etc and make them into super touring machines.

I guess that fact you can go in either direction is one of the basic appeals of the VFR to us. Within limits, you can make it into whatever you want it to be. I don't think they would make a great track bike on one extreme, nor do I think you could win the Iron Butt Rally with one either.

I definitely need to shop around. I bought it quick, and did everything possible to make it road legal as fast as I could. So after the initial 6 months which are paid, I will be seriously shopping around.

Thanks

Bry

• Member Contributer
It's interesting how VFR owners take their bikes and the direction they go in when they start personalizing them.

One group (including myself) spends tons of $$$ on suspension, tires, every little trick they can to get it more high performance. On the other hand, many VFR owner's load their bikes up with saddle bags, every electronic device there is, Heli-bars, etc and make them into super touring machines.

...and some of us do both. :goofy:

...and some of us do both. :goofy:

Yes you do. :goofy:

My personal experience riding multiple motorcycles is limited. I've only owned two. A 1986 Kawasaki 550LTD and my 2002 VFR. I've had opportunities to ride a few other bikes, mostly owned by friends or test riding at dealerships. Among these are 1986 Honda Sabre V45, 2003 Honda CBR F4i, 2005 Suzuki GSXR 750, 1996 Kawasaki Concours, 2006 Kawasaki Concours, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster 696, 2008 Aprillia Tuono 1000R, and a few others.

What I keep coming back to is that I have yet to find another motorcycle that balances aggressive street riding (sport riding) with normal long distance treks (touring) so very well.

I rode a friends Concours last night and it made me think about all of this again. The Concours was extremely comfortable, cushy seat, soft suspension, smooth motor, high windshield etc. But coming off the VFR and riding the Kawi felt like going from a Cooper mini to a Lincoln Town Car. I lost my feel of the road. I lost the quick throttle response. I lost the wind in my face. Cornering was more of a chore than a pleasure. I think I would like the Kawi for long days on the highway, but too much of what I call the motorcycle experience was missing.

On the other end, the Duc 1098 was an absolute blast to ride. Power everywhere, light, flickable, faster than I would ever need to go. However, the seat was very hard, the seating position had most of my weight forward on the bars, very small and cramped, mirrors were useless, crank the throttle to about half and the front wheel starts to lift, crank it open and you're staring at the sky, and while the motor sounds awesome, it about vibrated my hands numb.

I don't know what the magic is with the VFR, but it's got it for me. Motor size? Weight? HP to weight ratio? Ergos? Rake and trail? Fairings? Windshield height? I can't put my finger on one thing that makes me like the VFR so much. It is the perfect balance for everything I want to do on the street.

I'm not looking for a long discussion here because it's all been said before. Just wanted to share what I was thinking.

That that is right on for me too. Being over 76 inches also makes the VFR my fav.

You summed up what the VFR is all about to me, that's why when I try something else I always seem to do just that 'try' and not 'buy'.

Whenever I have made the jump to something else, I've always regretted it as a lot of you here will know. But hey, a year down the line and I still own my Silver bullet and I can't wait to ride her up to the Lake District range this Summer for more touring, pillion, luggage and all. I can tour, scratch, commute in ALL weathers and go a bit silly every now and then.

After a week of not riding my VFR I am itching to get back in the pilot seat this weekend, safe riding all! :goofy:

Well said, VFRbeliever. :goofy:

I think VFRs are some of the best all-around streetbikes ever made, and many magazine and online reviews say so, too.

I can only own one bike at a time for now, so I need it to do everything from short commutes to serious twisties to 500-mile days. And the VFR does all of them very well IMHO. smile.gif

I'm in the same boat about my love for the VFR. My second bike was a 94 VFR and now I have a 98. I haven't ridden too many either (2005 Ducati Multistrada and a 2002 VTX). Its just something about that bike, comfy and pretty quick. I did enjoy the Duc, but the engine and gearing left a little to be desired. Now that I have returned my VFR to stock height and raised the bars a little bit, I can;t see me with anything else.

The rumors of the new VFR seem a little disheartening. Not sure will become of it, but hopefully Honda gets sit right.

• Member Contributer

You know, if instead of a VFR, I owned a Goldwing and a CBR1000RR, I think I'd always want the advantage that the other one has. the Goldwing would seem so big and slow, the RR bike too uncomfortable. I think a jack of all trades master of none, is much better than owning multiple masters of one trade. On the VFR, I can always be comfy, and always ride it a little more sporty.

VFRBeliever,

Nicely thought out post.

Interesting how certain bike models over the years are able to achieve a more committed and loyal following. I'm thinking of some possible examples, maybe the Suzuki GS750/850/1000 series in the late 70s, early 80s. Perhaps Kawasaki's early ZX models, or Yamaha's FJ1100 right thru to the FJR series. Clearly BMW found some "magic" with the hugely popular GS models. And as you posted so well, the various generations of VFRs are right in there as well.

WWWobble

• Member Contributer
I definitely need to shop around. I bought it quick, and did everything possible to make it road legal as fast as I could. So after the initial 6 months which are paid, I will be seriously shopping around.

Thanks

Bry

Bry,

Try eSurance. They were so cheap for the same coverage that Progressive was giving me the Progressive rep said, "I don't know how they do that but go for it". You can shop for insurance now. The company that you have it with should refund any time that you paid for but did not yet use.

Congrats on the new bike.

Very nice VFRb!

I ride the shitz out of my 02, burning through over 30 sets of tires over that last 70,000 miles and it has never left me stranded or disappointed me in it's ability no matter who or what I was riding with! :biggrin:

I spent about $1k on suspension work and it's all the bike I need and I can shame most SS in the twisties. Sure it's a heavy 100 hp bike, but is and does everything I need it to do except sleep with me! :dry:

The new V4 looks like it might be pretty cool, but who needs it! :cool:

BR

• Member Contributer
Sure it's a heavy 100 hp bike, but is and does everything I need it to do except sleep with me! :biggrin:

BR

Are you saying that you need it to sleep with you?? :dry:

Very nice VFRb!

I ride the shitz out of my 02, burning through over 30 sets of tires over that last 70,000 miles and it has never left me stranded or disappointed me in it's ability no matter who or what I was riding with! :biggrin:

I spent about $1k on suspension work and it's all the bike I need and I can shame most SS in the twisties. Sure it's a heavy 100 hp bike, but is and does everything I need it to do except sleep with me! :dry:

BR

I think Honda does. I really don't think VFRs are selling well.

Very nice VFRb!

BR

Speaking of which............... Is there a good place I could take my VFR in NC that knows how to modify and set up my suspension?..... Monk

Archived