Show Me Your Tool

FotoMoto

• Member Contributer

Chest.

Seb's recent thread got me to wondering what kind of setup most of you use. To date, I have relied on a basic 3 drawer Sears Craftsman my wife gave me shortly after moving into our first place that had a garage after we got married. Umm, that was like 22 years ago. :huh: I probably could get some good money for it from some vintage class racer guy to use as a period piece display! :goofy:

KG9K0122.jpg

It was only this year that I finally upgraded to a rolling chest. Man, oh man, what a difference. I scored it cheap at a retiring owners' workshop sale this spring but this is by no means a pro or commercial model; rather it was the cheapest one he had. It is a Sears non-roller bearing home model that is several years old but I love it.

KG9K0098.jpg

This is what I really like about it. I use the top section with its numerous partitions for my "go to" tools. You know the ones you use 90% of the time while working on the bike. The numerous other items used only 10% of the time go in the drawers. It also came with two heavy duty boards (not pictured) to cover the top and convert it into a work space or place an additional tool chest on top. I christened it :beer: with numerous updated stickers of course.

KG9K0110.jpg

Drink caddy on the side. :beer:

KG9K0109.jpg

The next coolest feature is the power bar.

KG9K0102.jpg

Hooked to an extension cord, I can roll the chest completely around the man cave right up next to the bike and have ready power for my dremel, drills, or drop light. It saves mucho time and effort as I'm now no longer walking back and forth to the old tool chest sitting on the shelf. Super, super convenient. :laugh:

KG9K0118.jpg

So what do you have?

• Member Contributer

Nice setup, like the power strip. I used that same 3-drawer Craftsman chest for well over 10 years before getting a roll around.

Show me your tool.

That's a rather personal request. :goofy:

Maybe I should hit some garage sales in the nicer parts of town.

I could use a well priced nice toolchest. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Foto.......is that a vat of scotch in the drink holder. :blink:

:beer: :laugh:

It is time for another "cave man" thread.

• Member Contributer

:beer: :laugh:

That was for demonstrative purposes only! :beer:

Man, you guys are already making me wish I had a garage. My whole house is my man cave, which unfortunately means any prospective maids run screaming for the hills. :beer:

• Member Contributer

:laugh: :laugh:

That was for demonstrative purposes only! :beer:

And lemme' guess..you used a funnel to put it back.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Think of all the toys you can afford without all that "over head". wink.gif

Hahaha, on my salary I'm doing good to afford a new tire. Ah well, someday...some day.

OK, I've got a lot of crap packed into a single stall m/c bay, but I can do a lot with it. :blink:

I'm good with my Tool(s). :laugh:

shop007.jpg

shop001.jpg

shop006.jpg

shop002.jpg

shop005.jpg

Lots of better, nicer, bigger and better equipped shops/garages out there, but this works pretty good for me! :laugh:

That poor Compaq PC, I bet that thing is just chock full of dust inside, tell me you at least blow the thing out from time to time.

I would show mine...But they are in storage right now, other than one new one I picked up to serve as a parts bin lol, getting ready to move sucks.

That poor Compaq PC, I bet that thing is just chock full of dust inside, tell me you at least blow the thing out from time to time.

I would show mine...But they are in storage right now, other than one new one I picked up to serve as a parts bin lol, getting ready to move sucks.

Nah, it was a freebie computer that had a water line break above it at the office, it works most of the time! :laugh:

Hook the PCIII up to it when a bikes on the lift and occasionally try to catch VFRD on the internet! :laugh:

Damn Dave, your shop is the exact opposite of mine! Well organized! :blink:

Nice job! :laugh:

btw that's my Vtec track hooligan project on the lift!

http

://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n85/bai...al/shop006.jpg

I started out in college with a smaller lower and upper from Craftsman. The lower has been delegated to holding the miter saw now so I can wheel it out of the garage and have the sawdust out there instead of in the garage.

gallery_1859_4603_31936.jpg

The new lower is a 40" entry level Snap-on, with the old Craftsman top still on it.

gallery_1859_4603_126962.jpg

gallery_1859_4603_404864.jpg

gallery_1859_4603_71620.jpg

Also have a messy workbench next to it with power tools on the shelf underneath.

gallery_1859_4603_793001.jpg

Main work area - the track bike is getting new tires put on for the track day at Road Atlanta this weekend.

gallery_1859_4603_462482.jpg

Tire changer with a stack of Pilot Powers on the left waiting to be installed.

gallery_1859_4603_330139.jpg

One of these days I am going to build an enclosure for this thing like BaileyRock's. It is LOUD!!

gallery_1859_4603_54381.jpg

That's a great setup Ken, it looks even better in person! :blink: I'm striving towards the same type of setup; one specific bike bay with just about everything within arm's reach, and a second open general work area.

I forgot to take pics last night, place is a mess, but I should take a before pic. New bench will be in this weekend & should really change the look of the place!

• Member Contributer
One of these days I am going to build an enclosure for this thing like BaileyRock's. It is LOUD!!

gallery_1859_4603_54381.jpg

Yeah, I was wondering why he had is in a closet. I was concerned about heat buildup but with a tank that large I guess the comp. doesn't run much if no leaks in system.

GREAT setup! Man, I need to get some more tools (insert cave man sound here).

• Member Contributer

Another thing: this thread doesn't post on the front page. Anyone know why? And how did you stumble on it the first time?

Another thing: this thread doesn't post on the front page. Anyone know why? And how did you stumble on it the first time?

I guess no one is interested in seeing your Tool Doug! :fing02:

I guess life never changes! :fing02:

Suggestion I picked up from an electrican: Put your compressor on a timer of some sort. That way when you get ready to call it a day/night you don't have to remember to turn it off and it doesn't kick on in the middle of the night. Set the timer for one hour or so - however long you're going to be in the shop that evening.

I have had to get up in the middle of the night more than once to turn mine off and stop the wife's nagging.

• Member Contributer
Suggestion I picked up from an electrican: Put your compressor on a timer of some sort. That way when you get ready to call it a day/night you don't have to remember to turn it off and it doesn't kick on in the middle of the night. Set the timer for one hour or so - however long you're going to be in the shop that evening.

I have had to get up in the middle of the night more than once to turn mine off and stop the wife's nagging.

Fix the air leaks.

The timer is a nice touch however,

• Member Contributer
That's a great setup Ken, it looks even better in person! :fing02: I'm striving towards the same type of setup; one specific bike bay with just about everything within arm's reach, and a second open general work area.

I'll need a new larger wall so I can put more pictures up of myself and a new shed to store every squid in towns bike that I have to fix. Also need a spot for a kegarator and my 32 projects.

I forgot to take pics last night, place is a mess, but I should take a before pic. New bench will be in this weekend & should really change the look of the place!( :dry: )

Fixed that for ya'. Don't mention it. :491:

Archived