Wsbk Trip Incl. Ca, Nv, Ut & Az

• Member Contributer

IMG_7170Medium.jpg

A dead battery meant I had to make a slight detour to Salk Lake City and the WSBK race, which gave me an opportunity to check out the Bonneville Salt Flats.

I decided to make the trip out to the World Superbike races in Utah last week and thought I’d try doing up a ride report. I planned to take the long way back home, which is just east of Sacramento, CA. I also did some moto camping for the first time on this trip.

Full Size

Day 1: to Elk Flat Campground 7200 ft elevation, east of Ely, NV 450 miles

Headed out highway 80 through Reno and then picked up highway 50 straight through to Ely and Cave Lake State Park where I camped for the night.

Bike is my ’99 VFR, about 55K on the odometer now. I’ve had it since ’01.

IMG_7036Medium.jpg

Rain was tracking me the whole way but I was lucky and only ran in to some slight drizzle a couple times.

IMG_7051Medium.jpg

IMG_7055Medium.jpg

Interesting “shoe tree” on highway 50 in the middle of no where.

IMG_7069Medium.jpg

IMG_7075Medium.jpg

Highway 50 just goes on & on & on….

IMG_7081Medium.jpg

IMG_7090Medium.jpg

It really is the loneliest road I’ve been on.

IMG_7109Medium.jpg

Campground was very nice, clean with great views. Stayed dry all night also.

IMG_7118Medium.jpg

IMG_7120Medium.jpg

Day 2: to Salt Lake City, UT 330 miles

Unfortunately I woke up to a dead battery, discovered after I had everything packed and ready to go. I ended up bump starting it down the gravel campground road. Not sure what was going on but I backtracked 15 miles to Ely and picked up a battery tender jr. at the Yamaha/Suzuki/Lincoln-Mercury(?!) dealer. I decided to take a more direct route to get to Salt Lake while the bike was still running and headed up NV 93 to 80 and then on in to Salt Lake. 93 is about 80 miles of nothing-ness, I think there were 2 turns in those 80 miles. Rain was still stalking me though.

IMG_7122Medium.jpg

Utah Salt Flats

IMG_7131Medium.jpg

Benefit to this route instead of continuing 50 in to Utah was I got to see the Bonneville salt flats off of 80.

IMG_7143Medium.jpg

IMG_7149Medium.jpg

Still a lot of water on the flats.

IMG_7152Medium.jpg

I thought of taking a spin on the salt but it was too soft and would have been a mess.

IMG_7170Medium.jpg

Getting in to Salt Lake looked like it was going to be rough but I dodged the rain bullet again.

IMG_7177Medium.jpg

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in downtown Salt Lake for 2 nights. The hotel itself is nice but it’s a sketchy part of town, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Day 3: to Tooele, UT Miller Motorsports Park 70 miles round trip

I only attended Sunday, the day of the races. There is nothing like standing mid point of the front straight and watching the SBK’s go by at 195 mph.

Also discovered the battery problem was probably my hasty wiring up of my iPod charger late on the night before I left. The wiring connection was loose and the iPod would charge only intermittently. I cut it out, charged the battery and didn’t have any more problems.

The manufacturers were there showing off their stuff, I’ll spare everyone pictures of the Honda DN01.

Honda CB750

IMG_7196Medium.jpg

Some custom choppers. I think this is actually a custom “Copper”. Nice handiwork.

IMG_7203Medium.jpg

IMG_7205Medium.jpg

IMG_7209Medium.jpg

Forgot this guy’s name but was putting on quite a demonstration.

IMG_7215Medium.jpg

Miller Park backdrop:

IMG_7241Medium.jpg

Roland Sands Aprilia

IMG_7260Medium.jpg

Aprilia RSV4

IMG_7267Medium.jpg

I’ve got an empty spot in my garage just waiting to be filled by a Tuono. :beer:

IMG_7280Medium.jpg

Or one of these… :huh:

IMG_7302Medium.jpg

• Member Contributer

Day 4: to Jacob Lake Campground, south of Fredonia, Arizona 445 miles

It was going to be a longer day so I took UT 15 south for awhile before turning off to 70 and then 72 south.

First thing to deal with, plus all the ‘presents’ they leave on the road.

IMG_7319Medium.jpg

72 had some great sections though, even if it was spitting rain here and there.

IMG_7325Medium.jpg

More of 72.

IMG_7328Medium.jpg

The rain was still stalking me but couldn’t keep up with the VFR.

IMG_7334Medium.jpg

Finally getting in to southern Utah, off of hwy 72 and now on hwy 12.

IMG_7342Medium.jpg

IMG_7344Medium.jpg

Hwy 12, the rain always seemed to be waiting.

IMG_7352Medium.jpg

But the views are worth it.

IMG_7354Medium.jpg

IMG_7362Medium.jpg

Grand Staircase Escalante National Park. The road through the upper portion runs along a ridge that is about 2 lanes wide, down either side it’s a long ways down.

IMG_7380Medium.jpg

IMG_7399Medium.jpg

Red Canyon, UT

IMG_7406Medium.jpg

IMG_7415Medium.jpg

IMG_7417Medium.jpg

Finally at camp in AZ.

IMG_7438Medium.jpg

Day 5: to Bonito Campground, Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, north of Flagstaff 250 miles

I planned a shorter day to give me time to visit the Grand Canyon north rim. At 8500 foot elevation though I wasn’t going to be doing much rigorous hiking!

The forest leading up to the entrance was hit with a wildfire in ’06.

IMG_7447Medium.jpg

Once inside the park there are endless meadows. Motorcycles are $12 to enter vs. $25 per car. Hwy 67 in the national forest outside the park and inside the Grand Canyon park itself was probably designed by a motorcycle rider. If only the speed limits weren’t so low.

IMG_7456Medium.jpg

Grand Canyon pics

IMG_7474Medium.jpg

IMG_7501Medium.jpg

IMG_7502Medium.jpg

IMG_7519Medium.jpg

IMG_7526Medium.jpg

grandcanyon_northrimMedium.jpg

Walkway to one of the viewing points. No handrails, it’s a straight drop down 3-4K feet on either side.

IMG_7504Medium.jpg

Some cliffs coming down in to southern AZ on hwy 89 before the Colorado river.

IMG_7570Medium.jpg

IMG_7572Medium.jpg

The Colorado river crossing on hwy 89.

IMG_7600Medium.jpg

IMG_7594Medium.jpg

Only 250 miles today but it still took about 10 hours with all the stops. Once down on 89 in southern AZ it was very hot.

IMG_7605Medium.jpg

Day 6: to Las Vegas, NV 365 miles

I wanted to see Meteor Crater in AZ which meant slabbing about 30 miles out of my way and then backtracking but it was worth it. I learned this hole in the ground is entirely privately owned and operated. 700 feet down, 4000 feet across.

IMG_7616Medium.jpg

IMG_7619Medium.jpg

meteor_crater2Large.jpg

Also got to ride some of ‘historic’ Hwy 66 west of Flagstaff. There wasn’t much out here other than fierce winds and some reproduction signs.

IMG_7646Medium.jpg

Heading to Las Vegas on 93 you get to cross the Hoover dam. They are constructing a new highway and bridge though so you’ll face miles and miles of ‘reduced speed’, construction zones and traffic delays.

There is also a security checkpoint all vehicles must pass through before being allowed to cross the dam. From what I saw this consists of a 19 year old Homeland Security employee waving at cars as they pass through.

Here’s the dam and new bridge. Pics don’t do justice to how massive this thing is.

IMG_7666Medium.jpg

IMG_7668Medium.jpg

No camping in Vegas. Enough said, what happens in Vegas…

• Member Contributer

Day 7: to French Camp Campground, Bishop, CA 320 miles

This was one of those days (along with day 6) where the wind beats you up all day long. Massive crosswinds, sudden bursts, etc. I started out following my Google map directions and got as far as Pahrump, NV. Then they instructed to follow this road for 15 miles to get to CA hwy 127. Hmph, left my GS at home…

IMG_7677Medium.jpg

Got around that eventually and got on NV hwy 266 over a small pass. Another great road if it wasn’t so blustery and cold.

IMG_7691Medium.jpg

This turns in to CA 168 once you cross the state line, Caltrans has been busy.

IMG_7697Medium.jpg

Great views coming up on the eastern side of the Sierras.

IMG_7701Medium.jpg

Coming in to Big Pine on hwy 395, CA.

IMG_7708Medium.jpg

The campground I planned to stay at wasn’t all that inviting, plus it was at a summit on 395 and rain seemed to be moving in.

IMG_7720Medium.jpg

IMG_7724Medium.jpg

So I backtracked 20 miles to Bishop and hoteled it again.

Day 8: Home, 250 miles

The plan was to ride up 395 along the CA border and take one of the passes over to the western side of the Sierra. They’ve all been open for awhile now and were on Thursday when I pulled in to Bishop. Overnight the rain and snow moved in, closing Yosemite pass (120) and the Sonora pass looked likely to close at some point in the day.

IMG_7739Medium.jpg

So I ran up 395 in 50 degree temps and rain to Monitor pass which was amazingly dry. Taking 50 west out of Tahoe though temps dropped to around 40 and it rained most of the way down in to the foothills. It took a week but the rain finally caught up. My ‘stich is about 7 years old but still watertight as far as I can tell.

Final tally was about 2510 miles over 8 days, the 70 miles to Tooele from Salt Lake isn't included on my (ancient) gps.

IMG_7753Medium.jpg

Most of the camping gear was new, the 20 year old stuff I had wouldn’t have packed on the bike. It all worked very well, I overpacked of course even though the Givi’s were only half full. Next time I will downsize to the E21 bags I have.

I may be heading to the VFRD summit in Colorado this August so I’ll have to work on packing. This was my first trip to UT, AZ and the Grand Canyon and it was definitely a good trip.

I also got some video of the RSV4 running and will have to post that, wasn't all that impressed with the sound though. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Great pictures! You really picked a nice route.

I was at the races myself. Wonderful track, tremendous facility.

Very nice pictorial. Looks like you had all of those beautiful sights to yourself, those are realy some lonely roads.

The Grand Canyon surely is a must see, stunning views!

Sweet trip.....the loneliest roads going solo are always my favorites. Instantly there is no mortgage, bills to pay, BS to put up with, politics, traffic, noise...etc.

Looks and sounds like you had a nice adventure.

Great post, capn. Curious, though, what tent did you use, and how did you like it for packability, livability. ease of assembly/breakdown, etc.? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I always enjoy reading these ride reports. Pretty ballsy to that many miles solo IMO. Great pics, thanks for taking us along vicariously on your ride.

• Member Contributer
Great post, capn. Curious, though, what tent did you use, and how did you like it for packability, livability. ease of assembly/breakdown, etc.? Thanks.

It is the Kelty Grand Mesa 2. It takes about 5 minutes to put up and packs down very small, I put the tent in a separate dry compression bag and the poles/spikes in their own sleeves. The whole thing weighs about 4 lbs. The poles attach to the tent with clips, not sleeves, makes putting it up much quicker. All the seams are taped for waterproofness, it has good ventilation and a little vestibule area on the front under the rain fly. And it's not insanely expensive like some of the ultralight tents.

41tsHMtQqZL._SS500_.jpg

Excellent pics and write-up. I traced through most of that route in '06. Utah and the Grand Canyon area (it was on fire as I rode through that day) are just awesome. No pictures do it justice.

• Member Contributer

Great trip and great write up!

Good to leave the office behind for a while no doubt..... :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Great trip and great write up!

Good to leave the office behind for a while no doubt..... :fing02:

The office left me behind a few months ago, that's how I could take off for a week. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Great trip and write up. I'm hoping to hit some of the Utah part, #12 at least, on my way back from the summit meet this August. Thanks. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Great report. Not everyone can appreciate the desert, but I can. You were very fortunate that the colors were out in force. Not too long ago, the water was at the top of the towers at Hoover.

Great ride report. I got a little nostalgic as I've been on most those roads before. I can't agree more about how nice the road going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is, and I second that comment about the low speed limits!!!

Archived