Perforated Leather - Never Had One, Advice?

Before my riding hiatus I had a Fieldsheer leather jacket and pant set, but the jacket had zippered vents rather than perforations. Right now I'm wearing a textile jacket and pants when riding, but I'd like to get some leather again as I just felt it was a little sturdier in case I go down (which I did, which is why I took a hiatus).

Anyway, NewEnough has the Fieldsheer Razor jacket on at a good price (http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/fieldsheer/razor_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html). I tried one on locally and liked it. My only concern is just how cool can it get and still be comfortable with all those perforations. NewEnough's site says with the liner it'll be good for cool, but not cold, weather, but they're in Texas so their definition of "cool" and "cold" might be different than mine.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc on the temperature range of a jacket like this (or any comments on this jacket in particular)?

• Member Contributer

I have a Fieldsheer Revo jacket (actually a full suit, but it's 2-piece) with full perforations. When you are moving, it's almost as if the jacket isn't even there. The air flows right through... great for hot days, not so much when it's cold out. I'll wear mine down to about the mid 60s (and only then with a sweater on underneath), any colder then that and I'll switch to my Cortech textile. If you already have a good textile, I'd say go for the perf'd leather, so you have a summer jacket and a winter jacket. I wouldn't try to use perf'd leather as a year-round jacket.

• Member Contributer
Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc on the temperature range of a jacket like this (or any comments on this jacket in particular)?

Keep the liner in tail or tank bag, add a long sleeved tee or some cold weather gear from Under Armor and layer for comfort. I find myself riding with the liner and layers most mornings in the moutains, then shedding the liner and other layers throughout the day, usually down to just a a shirt under the perfed leather by the time we leave our lunch stop.

For WINTER riding, I choose an all weather jacket (Kilimanjaro I think).

if you tried one on at a shop and liked the fit go for it. New Enough is a great group of guys. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

I agree, I have a Joe rocket sonic 2.0 perforated jacket for the hot days and it's great!!!. I was out recently in 93 degree weather and had no issues wearing the jacket. I like the sonic 2.0 especially because it's fully perforated (I mean everywhere), as opposed to the a-stars which are perf'd only in the front. check it out. and new enough has great prices on it as well.

Jesse

• Member Contributer

After checking out your link I found that New Enough has a 2 piece perforated suit for $300 - $350.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_appare..._race_suit.html

I've been debating a leather outfit for a while, especially a 2 piece suite for the option of a track day in the future and as you said,

added security for everyday riding.

I think this is a great site, and even better price for a 2 piece 'full perforated' suite.

Dam economy. Dam low Canadian $$. Dam you dirty apes! :laugh:

Just need to find a credit card the wife doesn't know about, have it shipped to the office.

When it arrives, I'll have to carry it from the front yard to back yard over the week.

That way, when she says "is that new?" I can say, "no, it's been around the house for a while" :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
After checking out your link I found that New Enough has a 2 piece perforated suit for $300 - $350.

I've been debating a leather outfit for a while, especially a 2 piece suite for the option of a track day in the future and as you said,

I think this is a great site, and even better price for a 2 piece 'full perforated' suite.

Just need to find a credit card the wife doesn't know about, have it shipped to the office.

When it arrives, I'll have to carry it from the front yard to back yard over the week.

That way, when she says "is that new?" I can say, "no, it's been around the house for a while" :biggrin:

I would check out Fox Creek Leather....great company...

www.foxcreekleather.com

• Member Contributer
I agree, I have a Joe rocket sonic 2.0 perforated jacket for the hot days and it's great!!!. I was out recently in 93 degree weather and had no issues wearing the jacket. I like the sonic 2.0 especially because it's fully perforated (I mean everywhere), as opposed to the a-stars which are perf'd only in the front. check it out. and new enough has great prices on it as well.

Jesse

I have the same jacket and the same experience... great jacket, though under 60 degrees it gets a little too brisk for comfort. Will wear a sweatshirt or windbreaker underneath. Looking for a good touring jacket for the colder weather.

• Member Contributer

Hehehehehehe

I got one of these. Been wanting a suit for a couple years, finally pulled the card out smile.gif

Back on track, never worn perf'd leather or a suit, so I don't really have any input other than you people have made me spend more money (oh so easy to shift "blame") on my little habit and NE got another sale.

• Member Contributer
Hehehehehehe

I got one of these. Been wanting a suit for a couple years, finally pulled the card out smile.gif

You're a Tease!!!

What colour? How's the fit? Wanna lend me $500? Write it off as part of the bailout plan. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Hehehehehehe

You're a Tease!!!

What colour? How's the fit? Wanna lend me $500? Write it off as part of the bailout plan. :fing02:

Lol, sorry, by "I got" I meant I literally clicked the link, found a 46 grey/white/black, ordered it, and now have the tracking number.

Wow I just hit the link again and the product isn't available??!!??? wow.

Wow I just hit the link again and the product isn't available??!!??? wow.

Yeah, by the time I read that response to the thread it was already showing as not available. I found a one-piece suit with the same product name. Maybe you got the last one. :fing02:

In addition to getting opinions here I also wrote to NewEnough's customer service about the Razor jacket. Here is their response:

Thanks for the email and for checking with us. That is actually a good question. You are correct about different tolerances. Personally I think 65 is cold were I am sure you think that is a beautiful day. With my personal feelings aside I think you could be comfortable in this jacket down into the mid to low 40s. That thermal liner that comes with the jacket will block a lot of the wind that comes into the jacket through the perforations. It is a full sleeve liner so that should help keep you warm. I would not drop below that but then again I was born and raised in the dry heat of the plains of TX so...

I've bought stuff from NewEnough before and have always been impressed with their customer service, but this kind of detailed, personal response within 20 minutes of me sending in my request is really outstanding. NewEnough's prices aren't always the lowest, but for this level of service I'll pay a few bucks more.

Teknic makes nice leather jackets and suits for really reasonable prices.

I have their Chicane perforated jacket (does not have an insulated liner) and it really feels comfortable in the usmmer. And when I do get caught in cool weather and fog in the middle of a ride, I do the old racing bicyclist trick of grabbing a paper (those free rental properties handouts you see everywhere works great) and putting it inder the front of my jacket. It'll be enought to keep you from freezing and easy enough to get rid of if it gets toasty again.

Beck

95 VFR

Teknic makes nice leather jackets and suits for really reasonable prices.

I have their Chicane perforated jacket (does not have an insulated liner) and it really feels comfortable in the usmmer. And when I do get caught in cool weather and fog in the middle of a ride, I do the old racing bicyclist trick of grabbing a paper (those free rental properties handouts you see everywhere works great) and putting it inder the front of my jacket. It'll be enought to keep you from freezing and easy enough to get rid of if it gets toasty again.

Beck

95 VFR

Oh man the old paper int he jersey trick.... Thats a realllllly old cycling trick wink.gif

I am also looking for a full suit so I can use it on track/street. I would like to find one in a lighter color since black is about 10-15 degree's hotter from heat soak. (based on an old test from cycling with dark colored clothing and heat soak rates from bright sunlight) One reason you never see pro cyclist wearing black shoes... No joke... Light colored shoes are significanlty cooler...Same with helmets....

Anyone make some light gray and white two piece perforated leathers?

Does anyone know who has the Fieldsheer 2 piece perforated suits in stock? I have checked with NewEnough, Kneedraggers, etc. and everyone is out. It really looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I need a 52 in either all black or red & black.

Based on the responses to this thread and from NewEnough I went ahead and ordered the Razor jacket and Tracker pants. Just under $350 delivered for the two pieces sounds decent to me, I'm sure I paid at least twice that for my old Fieldsheer gear about 15 years ago.

• Member Contributer

Arrghhh. Can't beleive it dissapeared that fast. When I did a search I found these other options. Not 'as' cheap but still pretty good.

Just have to wonder if the serivce will be anything close to NE?

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+dea...piece+race+suit

Edit: just found out that these guys won't ship to Canada.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/fieldsheer...piece-race-suit

https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=1055

DISCLAIMER:

I have no experience or connection with these sites. I have no clue what their serivce or return policy is like so buyer beware.

NEW ENOUGH, BRING IT BACK :blink: I'LL BUY IT I SWEAR :cool: PLUS SOME NEW GLOVES AND BOOTS TO MATCH :excl:!!!!

• Member Contributer
I have a Fieldsheer Revo jacket (actually a full suit, but it's 2-piece) with full perforations. When you are moving, it's almost as if the jacket isn't even there. The air flows right through... great for hot days, not so much when it's cold out. I'll wear mine down to about the mid 60s (and only then with a sweater on underneath), any colder then that and I'll switch to my Cortech textile. If you already have a good textile, I'd say go for the perf'd leather, so you have a summer jacket and a winter jacket. I wouldn't try to use perf'd leather as a year-round jacket.

Plus 1. :blink:

Arrghhh. Can't beleive it dissapeared that fast. When I did a search I found these other options. Not 'as' cheap but still pretty good.

Just have to wonder if the serivce will be anything close to NE?

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/hot+dea...piece+race+suit

Edit: just found out that these guys won't ship to Canada.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/fieldsheer...piece-race-suit

https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_detail.asp?Prod_ID=1055

DISCLAIMER:

I have no experience or connection with these sites. I have no clue what their serivce or return policy is like so buyer beware.

NEW ENOUGH, BRING IT BACK :biggrin: I'LL BUY IT I SWEAR :laugh: PLUS SOME NEW GLOVES AND BOOTS TO MATCH :blink:!!!!

All three of those firms are out of most all colors and decent sizes.

NEW ENOUGH, BRING IT BACK :biggrin: I'LL BUY IT I SWEAR :fing02: PLUS SOME NEW GLOVES AND BOOTS TO MATCH :blink:!!!!

You should write to their customer service email address (on the Contact Us page of their site). I've found them to be very responsive.

• Member Contributer

Yes, I've talked with them on the phone before too. Very helpful indeed.

But . . . . I fear that seeing as most sites are running out of colours / sizes, that they are just that. Sold Out.

Ya never know unless you ask, so I'll give them a call.

Yes, I've talked with them on the phone before too. Very helpful indeed.

But . . . . I fear that seeing as most sites are running out of colours / sizes, that they are just that. Sold Out.

Ya never know unless you ask, so I'll give them a call.

I think I'm going to call Fieldsheer directly and see if they just can't keep up with demand or if this suit is discontinued and is not be had anywhere.

I think I'm going to call Fieldsheer directly and see if they just can't keep up with demand or if this suit is discontinued and is not be had anywhere.

It's odd, the Radar Two-Piece Suit is still listed on their web site.

Of course the Razor jacket and Tracker pants are still listed as well, but NewEnough has the pants on close-out and almost everyone is selling the jacket for $200 even though it has an MSRP of $350.

I wonder if Fieldsheer is preparing to introduce their 2009 line-up soon and is clearing out the 2008 stuff.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I found out about the Tracker pant close-out from an email I got from NewEnough. They usually have a brief explanation as to why something is on close-out, so I dug up the email and found this:

Fieldsheer recently announced a change of US distributor which will take place later this year. And when a manufacturer switches from one distributor to another, it typically means "bargains"! We bought two styles of leather sport pants at a great price. We bought all the distributor had (although they may have more later in the year).

As the existing distributor exhausts stock you won't find any more of a particular product until the switchover happens. That's probably what's happening with the two-piece Radar suit.

• Member Contributer

Well, tried the New Enough customer service. Got the response I expected.

"We have no way of know if we will have a deal like that again, but I promise that if we do we will let our customers know as soon as we do.

Thanks and sorry you missed this one."

If it's gone, it's gone - and seeing as other sites have deminishing supplies - seems pretty obvious to me, but eh? At least I asked.

Now, thanks to SpiralGray I am looking at the Razor jacket and Tracker pants. Works out to almost the same price excepting that the pants

are not perforated and it's going to be a hot summer ride down to Colorado.

Tougher choices have been made by lesser men so I know I can do it. Thanks for the options.

Here's the deal on the Fieldsheer Radar 2 piece perforated leather suits:

Everybody in the US is sold out except for the odd suit here and there. Luckily I found one in my size at Iron Pony in Gun Metal & Black. Wanted all black, but gray and black ain't bad and the price was great. $460 shipped.

I called Fieldsheer themselves. The ship with the new suits on it will dock in SF on 05-18-09. They will then send the suits up to their wearhouse in Boise, ID. From there they will go to NewEnough, Kneedraggers, etc. They will probably be back at the old price of $650-700 if not higher. I wouldn't expect anyone to have any for sale until the middle of June.

Archived