Tourmaster Or Firstgear?

CBR_Rod

• Member Contributer

Currently I do not own any heated clothing. I'm still riding to work and seem to tolerate it OK if the temps are above 20, I only have about 6 miles on the highway to ride, 10 total, to make it to work. Lately, and more so this year, I've been thinking about the heated liners, thinking of starting with gloves and I may continiue on and complete the set sometime, just not sure. I've used/use both brand and have no complaints about either companies products that I own. I know the Tourmaster Synergy line is pretty new, but I was hoping to get some input that might sway me to one brand or the other.

Another concern I have are the bikes I ride, and their ability to handle heated clothing. IF I was to have a full setup, gloves, jacket liner and pant liner, would all of my bikes charging systems be able to handle this? What if I added grip heaters? Does that push the load limit?

I have an 06 F4i, 06 1000RR, and just picked up a VFR 07 model.

I'd also prefer to just use my SAE connector to provide the juice for these appearal items, I don't want to run an extra set of wires from my battery, is this doable? Currenlty I run an extension lead up under the tank to the handle bars and this is wear I plug in my battery tender and my GPS or charge my phone from.

• Member Contributer

I just got some Tourmaster Synergy heated gear for this cold season, and like it very much. I got a jacket liner, pant liner, and gloves. All plug in together, and run from the same controller on the jacket liner. There are three settings and good sized buttons for ease of gloved use. Each piece can be used separately and comes with its own removable controller. Each piece comes with its own coax power connection, which meant for me that I have three power connectors and three bikes so no need to buy additional cords to attach to the bikes. I read once on the Powerlet website that SAE aren't the best connectors for heated gear, so I was happy to use the provided coax cords. Adaptors are available from various sources (such as the Powerlet folks) to plug the coax gear into a SAE connector should you choose. I don't have any issues having two cords on the bike.

Another member here wrote a good review of the TM Synergy a few months ago that may still be archived should you choose to search for it in the forums.

The pant liner is a "chaps" style liner that I wear under some Tourmaster overpants that are fairly wind and moisture resistant.

I've used it comfortably into the upper 20's, but mostly upper 30's and 40's so far.

You will want to have the plug close to the seat for this setup, as the connection from the jacket is short and extends from the waist. The provided cord length works well for me on my bikes running from the battery to the seat area.

I've got an older Gerbings liner with the SAE connector. I bought it used and one of them (there is a plug to go to the bike and another one to go to the pants) is partially melted. After wearing them for a while, when I go to unplug the connector is usually kind of warm. It was touching skin one time when my shirt rode up and I had to move it because it was hot. If I had the choice, I would probably do the coax next time. They seem to plug and unplug easier as well (the plugs from my liner to the gloves are coax).

I like and run Gerbing gear, I have the jacket liner($199) AWESOME!!! & heated socks ($79). I run this stuff under my normal leather gear along with long john bottoms (layered of course) and am good down into the 20's. Check it out Gerbing.com. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

I recently got a heck of a deal on Tourmaster Synergy jacket and pants liners. I bought a pair of barely used Gerbing heated gloves (very nice, soft and supple), and also bought a pair of heated socks (I forget the manufacturer).

All this stuff came with all kinds of harnesses and controllers, more than I actually need. I forgot to get a Powerlet plug with female coax on the other end, though (duh), so I can't yet plug it all into my Powerlet socket located on the left side right below my seat.

I just ordered the cable from Tightwad, and will post up after I try out all this stuff. Haven't really needed it yet, though; been riding in 34F and up temperatures and haven't gotten too cold yet. It will get colder, though, before Winter is over.

I keep telling myself I need the heated gear, and eventually might break down and buy it. It should be ok on your 3 bikes, as most doesn't draw too much power. Controllers seem to be the expensive part of the gear.

Cables and Gear on my site are not easy to find, but if you have the part number from Powerlet it is easy to search/find on my site. Eventually I will get off my butt and add pictures etc, but as this is just a hobby I never seem to get around to it.

I run a Gerbing jacket and heated socks.

Whoever invented heated socks should be given some sort of special Nobel Prize or something! They are awesome.

Don't like their old style heated gloves - like wearing pillows on your hands. I think they have come out with a newer, thinner style that I want to try. Haven't gotten pants yet. I guess I'm sorta like BR, if you keep your torso (where most of your organs are located) warm along with your hands and feet, you can ride in some pretty low temps.

If you decide on First Gear also check out Warm and Safe web site. They produce First Gear. If you register on their site and indicate that you belong to one of the listed motorcycle organizations or have taken MFS you get a sizable discount.

I use a Warm and Safe jacket on my KLR650 which has half the power output of my VFR. With the Heat-Troller I can dial it down so not to draw too much power. I wear it under leathers so I don't need full power. Some fabric suites let in a lot of air and require more heating unless you add a wind breaking layer. I use a Gore-Tex outer shell when it gets into the 30's.

For a 10 mile ride I hardly need heated gear. Longer rides if is fabulous. I find that the jacket is enough for me and heated gloves below 35 F would be nice. I am thinking of getting the Warm and Safe heated gloves that have carbon fiber knuckle protection and breathable waterproofing.

Service at Warm and Safe has been top notch for me. Important if you use this a lot and you need something fixed. I had a sleeve that did not warm up when new fixed promply. No other issues in the 3 years of heavy use.

• Member Contributer

I hear ya about the 10 mile ride! I don't think it'd be worth bundling up, but perhaps a jacket liner over my regular clothes wouldn't be too bad a hassle.

I wouldn't mind a second type of plug if it has to be by the seat as my SAE is up at the bars, so if seat location is idea for the clothing plugs, then that would be ok.

Socks do sound like a good idea for a long ride.

First Gear Synergy FTW!!! I have the jacket liner and gloves and am very happy with them. The gloves stated that they are water proof so I put them to the test over new years riding highway 1 in CA in the rain. The hands stayed DRY & WARM!!! The GLOVES are also nice because they are actually motorcycle gloves with armor (and a squeegy on the left hand thumb for riding in the rain!) rather than snow gloves with heating elements in them. Get a price quote from Dave @ Mosties Motorsports , I don't think you'll regret it. I couldn't find anywhere on the web that even came close to the prices he gave me!!!

Also, someone else mentioned that the first gear stuff comes with all the battery hook-ups and thermostats, which is a huge + if you ask me

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
First Gear Synergy FTW!!! I have the jacket liner and gloves and am very happy with them. The gloves stated that they are water proof so I put them to the test over new years riding highway 1 in CA in the rain. The hands stayed DRY & WARM!!! The GLOVES are also nice because they are actually motorcycle gloves with armor (and a squeegy on the left hand thumb for riding in the rain!) rather than snow gloves with heating elements in them. Get a price quote from Dave @ Mosties Motorsports , I don't think you'll regret it. I couldn't find anywhere on the web that even came close to the prices he gave me!!!

Also, someone else mentioned that the first gear stuff comes with all the battery hook-ups and thermostats, which is a huge + if you ask me

I assum you mean tourmaster instead of first gear? Troumaster makes the Synergy stuff.

Tourmaster synergy no doubt

The first gear set up, is 199 for jacket plus another 65 for controller and old wire technolygy with hot and cold spots, and it not as good a jacket as the synergy, and that whole thing can be had for $170.

I only have the vest, but I wear a teeshirt and mx jersey and a heavy sweatshirt under the vest, and the vest puts out enough heat through all that to fry you like bacon. I use a rain jacket as outer layer.

I think the vest is fine down in to the lower the 40's for adaquate long distance cold exposure, down into the 30.s the full jacket would be nicer, even the pants and gloves , why not.

Next year I'm going for the full jacket and pants for sub 40, the vest is nice for those 40 and 50's

• Member Contributer

I have the widder vest and the dual star grips. I am comfortable until around 35 degrees, though I can make it to about 25.

I am going to upgrade to the Gerbing socks and the newer style glove liners for sure. That should keep me comfy to 25 or lower. If I splurge, the new Aerostitch Kanetsu airvantage jacket looks awesome. Its 300 bucks though. I know a guy who has a Rukka riding suit and it has this "blow up" ability. Really nice. Especially combined with a heated liner.

btw guys-

this place rocks if you don't mind slight defects or storee returns.

http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

• Member Contributer

I have a Tourmaster Synergy jacket, which has worked very well. Just be careful with the controller cable attachment to the jacket. It is only a fairly flimsy grommet in the nylon jacket cover, and can tear out pretty easily. I managed to catch the controller on a restaurant chair... The Gerbing jackets "power distribution unit" attachment appears to be a much more rugged.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I notice Tour Master had what appeared to be TWO different styles of gloves. They are both listed in my Local dealer's catalog. One is all leather and one is Textile. The all Leather glove is the original, the textile is the new model. I emailed tourmaster asking if one is obsolete now or if there were any differences, the following is their reply

Thank you for your interest in Tourmaster.com. The Synergy Textile Gloves

are the latest addition to the Synergy line. There have been a few changes

in the construction of the glove meaning that the heating elements have been

moved as well as increased for more effective and even heat, other than

that, all else has remained the same. I hope this better assists you in your

needs and I wish you a wonderful day!

Archived