Beefier Alternator?

Macs06VFR

• Member Contributer

What's the output on the alternator on the 6th gen? I'm debating electron-draining mods (thanks guys, it's all your fault - all the wonderful improvements makes me want more). I'm wondering if/when an increase in juice will be required. And, what have others done? Thanks in advance, Mac

Correct, the current Stator puts out enough power, generally the problem is the system can't bleed it all off nicely. I would concentrate on being sure the wiring harness is up to the pressure, then exercise SOME restraint in what you power...stay away from DC/AC inverters and TVs and such.

Most goodies will work just fine.

• Member Contributer

So no curling iron? :schla15: Mostly looking at smaller stuff, but it adds up... don't want to negative drain the battery.

I've seen references to the problem wiring harness on earlier models... should this be replaced? Mine's an '06.

• Member Contributer

i think if i remember right you have just below 200W to play with. Stator is 500W, bike itself takes up half of that.

When i start working on all the electrical toys, i'm going to wire everything so that I can't overload it. I will have an inverter connected in prep for those super long trips where I won't have anywhere else to charge my phone and camera, but I'll probably wire it in such a way that it kills power to all other electronics when turned on, aside from heated grips maybe. Also have a switch between the inverter and battery as a failsafe. Also really like slammers trick with killing one headlight :schla15: .

I had my grips and inverter running on the 4th gen and didn't see any problems with voltage

You may want to look into beefing up your wires, There isnt A recall on the 06 like the 02 thru 05's.

I recently got some heated gear (tourmaster synergy jacket and pants) When I run the heated garments on high and turn on my highbeams at nite I can smell wires burning.. I havent checked them yet but its first on my list next time Im home...

Tightwad If I have melted wires you will have a new customer :biggrin:

I put a set of 55W lights on my 06 and the battery was dead as a door nail within 200 miles. Took the lights off and have not had another issue with the battery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
What's the output on the alternator on the 6th gen? I'm debating electron-draining mods (thanks guys, it's all your fault - all the wonderful improvements makes me want more). I'm wondering if/when an increase in juice will be required. And, what have others done? Thanks in advance, Mac

According to the manual .497KW at 5,000 rpm. 497 watts at 5,000 rpm, if I did this right. Would really like to know what the excess electrical capacity is, which means the alternators output minus the operating load of the bike. The manual lists the wattage of all the lights but does not list the ignition system or anything else like ABS. Lets figure this out people, want to know and am sure other people do to. There are posts on here asking if there bike can handle electric clothing and all I see is yes, wouldn't it be nice to be able to reference the numbers on here so whoever looks can be sure.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

I want to bring this up again. Anyone ever figure out how much excess we have. I want to know because I need to add some big auxillary HIDs, but right now with some led aux lights and the high beam on at idle the voltage meter is showing between 12.1 and 12.6 if I had my heated vest or grips on it will go lower. As soon as I rev the engine it goes back into the happy zone. I am adding Tightwads HID low beam kit, but I know this will not punch a hole in the darkness like I want for rallying. I want to add 2 4" HIDs that will pull 35w each that will become my dead of night hauling butt lights. Sometimes at night it is cold so grips are on and vest is on. I don't want to add big lights until I know I can run them. I also have 2 gps units, a radar detector, and a phone charger running most of the time.

• Member Contributer

How about one of those fancy Gold Wing trailers loaded with a bank of batteries? Just Kidding!!! :blush:

Seriously, with all the electrical gremlins these bikes have, be glad you're not dealing with molten plastic connectors and burned wire as it is! Just ask me how I know...

Good luck on a solution

• Member Contributer

How about one of those fancy Gold Wing trailers loaded with a bank of batteries? Just Kidding!!! :blush:

Seriously, with all the electrical gremlins these bikes have, be glad you're not dealing with molten plastic connectors and burned wire as it is! Just ask me how I know...

Good luck on a solution

I have done the vfrness, beefed up grounds, and the recall stuff. I will probably not have any regulator problems as I am using up as much power as is available. I called Ricky Stators thinking they might be able to do something for me as far as upping the output, but haven't heard back. People keep telling me to just buy a different bike but I like the vfr, and have a small fortune invested that I would never get back.

Maybe instead of using 2 more HID bulbs, go with 55W HID bulbs in the current housing, if the light output is where you need it. I am not sure I understand your total need for more light, if you illuminate anywhere that isn't currently illuminated you will probably be blinding any other traffic that may exist.

Archived