Helmet Speakers

Guest sigsauer33

Guest sigsauer33

Sine the VFR is my only mode of transportation I find more and more I want to listen to music while riding ( I know SEB I read your post on not doing this smile.gif ) I have been using a set of E shure under my helmet but they are starting to really hurt my ears. I have seen speakers that are flat and go inside the helmet but every set that I look at is made for a comm system. Does anyone know of where i can find a set that i can plug into a mp3 player?

I use these:

3967_1b.jpg

here at aerostitch

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/3D-Bas...rs-p-18966.html

I got them on craig's list for 35 bucks and they are 57 in the catalog. They are good speakers that are way better than just some headphones with the round part snapped off. Plenty of bass and really unbelievable for thier size, really. They fit into the pockets on my Nolan and I ran the wires out of the helmet where the port for the N-Com device can be installed.

I use an Ipod and a boostaroo

3075_2b.jpg

The boostaroo gives it about 1/3 more volume and a I can hear the songs quite well. Tomorror morning I will be using this set-up blasting the Reverend Horton Heat on my way to work.

Hope this helped

This can be one of many solutions but I found I had a harder time with one ear than the other so I took to just wearing the ER6 in my left ear, and a regular foamy earplug in my right. I think I could potentially more ably talk my way out of a ticket if needed too.

• Member Contributer

I ended up with pretty much the same configuration as Timmy above with the Aerostich speakers, but I did it my own way.

I use two Boostaroos to power a set of disassembled desktop speakers that I stuck in my helmet. I can hear the XM Radio perfectly over my earplugs even at highway speeds.

The speakers were an $8.00 non powered set that I bought at a local music store. I just took the actual speaker from the case and installed them in my helmet after reinforcing the wire connections.

I use one Boostaroo to boost the other and that gives me plenty of volume no matter how loud the wind or exhaust noise is. But mainly, it's comfortably loud enough to hear over my earplugs.

I'm still able to hear general traffic sounds, sirens, etc over the plugs and music. But some guy was trying to talk to me at a stop light from his car, and I just yelled out "I have earplugs in!!!" because there's no way I was hearing that clown...

So that's my solution for listening to XM, MP3 and GPS while out riding.

I use two Boostaroos to power a set of disassembled desktop speakers that I stuck in my helmet. I can hear the XM Radio perfectly over my earplugs even at highway speeds.

Your kidding right? If not I would love to see a picture and a how to!

• Member Contributer

Your kidding right? If not I would love to see a picture and a how to!

Look above at my original reply, I edited it with a little more info.

• Member Contributer

Find some better ear buds that don't stick out as much, or fit your ear better. Helmet speakers do not block out any noise, so to avoid hearing damage you will also have to use earplugs, which will block out the speakers.

• Member Contributer
to avoid hearing damage you will also have to use earplugs, which will block out the speakers.

Not true, see above.

I've tried earbud type speakers, even the ones with foam that are supposed to keep out external noise, etc. But so far, a good pair of earplugs with helmet speakers that can reach a loud enough volume (similar to my setup) is the most comforable and user friendly setup I've ever tried.

Just my opinion.

I've also tried the Sony headphones that hang on your ear. That works good too, but you have to put the headphones on and then squeeze your head into the helmet without them falling off. It's sort of a pain in the ass and the earphone itself transmits vibrations from the buffeting of the helmet and bumps in the road to your ears.

I ride with music every time I ride.

Find some better ear buds that don't stick out as much, or fit your ear better. Helmet speakers do not block out any noise, so to avoid hearing damage you will also have to use earplugs, which will block out the speakers.

%201.gif Take a look at this thread about options. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45178

• Member Contributer

I used to have the Collett Mini Blaster speakers, but for years now I have had the Autocom system and used their headsets. I don't know if the Mini Blasters are even available anymore and they weren't that impressive anyway, so I'm not necessarily recommending them. But I can recommend something else to make your helmet speaker experience better...

Sansas and iPods don't put out enough juice to run helmet speakers at high enough volume to punch through earplugs. Or to compete with FRS radios when piped into the Autocom. I used the Boosteroo amps for a while, and they worked well enough, but they weren't very durable and I got tired of having to change the batteries all the time. So now I've got one of these permanently installed in my VFR: PIE Line Driver Amp

• Member Contributer
So now I've got one of these permanently installed in my VFR: PIE Line Driver Amp

I've been looking for something like that.

Well, I've got two of them, one in the VFR and one in the tankbag that I move between the V-Strom and the TDM. They've worked out pretty well for me. The tankbag one probably has 50,000 miles and hasn't crapped out yet.

i put in really good 32db earplugs and some helmet speakers. works great. they were a no-name brand headphones - $20 and they work great.

i use the boostaroo as well to amplify it above road noise and wind noise. it's actually too loud and i find i have to turn it down a bit when riding. for about $50 USD you'll be all set.

• Member Contributer

I've got the same Iasus headphones "timmythecop" has only I removed the stickers and velco to make them thinner. I also bypassed the inline volume control, kept getting bumped. I found I prefer the plugs. For $15 I'll ship the headphones to you.

I took a pair of cheap "behind the head" earphones, removed the headband and slipped them into my helmet. I can hear my little Sansa at freeway speeds somewhat well, and perfectly fine at 45 mph or below. I use earplugs 110% of the time as well. I worry about boosting it louder as I won't be able to hear open piped Harleys when I pass them...

• Member Contributer

I used these helmet speakers for quite a while along with foam earplugs. I also used a Mix It amplifier to boost the sound without distortion and it worked well for me. I did have to chop up the foam in my helmet so they wouldn't rub my ears though. I switched helmets after a crash and this new helmet isn't very helmet speaker friendly so I've been using these S-Plug Universal speakers which are pretty good but not perfect.

HelmetSpeakers2.jpg

HelmetSpeakers4.jpg

HelmetSpeakers-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I have been using ear buds for a couple years now, recently I have been noticing some hearing loss/changes. I have not ridden for the last week so, and have noticed my hearing return.

I am going the helmet speaker with ear plugs route now.

Try riding with a set of helmet speakers without the foamies....then try riding with the foamies...THEN tell me you can't hear the speakers. :rolleyes:

The wind noise is the biggest reason you cannot hear helmet speakers. Defeat the wind, enjoy the music.

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody go the BIG EAR route? Seems expensive to me but maybe it's worth it.

I get tired of singing to myself. :biggrin:

I'm a provider for Big Ear. HispanicSlammer and Lizard (and his wife) have Big Ear stereo plugs. WERA910 has the solid ear plugs. There may be a few others as well. I know one of Trace's buddies got a set at Indianapolis this year too.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
I have been using ear buds for a couple years now, recently I have been noticing some hearing loss/changes. I have not ridden for the last week so, and have noticed my hearing return.

I am going the helmet speaker with ear plugs route now.

Purvis I know you have the Zomo so check out Ed Sets (Tales of Zumo Thread) I followed Bonus VFR on his recomendation for this setup which works very well. You can tie it into your zumo and be able to talk on the phone while riding if needed.

This guy stands behind his products. I had the mic jack of the new cable he sent out break off. He said no problem another is on the way.

Sig I dont know if you have the GPS but even for just the speakers its a nice setup.

• Member Contributer

Get a Scala Rider Q2 unit, its Bluetooth to tie in to your Zumo/cell phone, and they have a 1/4" headphone jack so you can plug in your MP3 player, or use the built in FM radio. Its what I use and with the cheap little yellow foam earplugs and I have no issue hearing my Sirius radio at freeway speeds. And its a bike to bike intercom as well.

• Member Contributer

I installed an EdSets speaker/mic in my Nolan this summer and so far and very happy. I looked at other options, and originally wanted a Bluetooth setup to connect to my Garmin Zumo but the prospect of battery life (and cost) became a major detractor.

The EdSets stuff is very high quality and works fine for what I need it for. The speakers are pretty decent but could use a bit more bass, they may also be a bit underpowered by the Zumo but I don't need to blast the volume, just enough to hear GPS voice commands/Phone calls (hands free) and MP3's on longer trips.

http://www.edsets.com/index.php

I also saw an ad for some new earbuds that conform to the ear canal better than standard buds, almost like an actual ear plug. The ad is in the March '09 issue of RoadBike mag (page 30)

http://www.plugup.com/

• 4 years later...
  • Member Contributer

Rather than start my own thread I figured I would take on to the end of this antique thread on custom earphones for your helmet. I use a Chatterbox X1 Slim communicator for music and comms during group rides and I've never been happy with the stock speakers -- they're tinny, distort at volume, and you can't hear crap above 60 mph or so. Upgrading the speakers on the Scala and Chatterbox headsets isn't new or complicated.

For the wire I used a 3.5 mm stereo audio extension cable ($2 from Amazon @ http://www.amazon.com/niceEshop-Female-Stereo-Headphone-Extension/dp/B00DEVI1JO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385161075&sr=8-3&keywords=3.5m+extension+cable)

The speakers are from eBay and came out of a Turtle Beach PX3 gaming headset ($20) and they're excellent; 50mm drivers. I have a set of Turtle Beach PX5 that I love so I knew the speakers would sound good.

I chopped off the crappy Chatterbox speakers, soldered the PX3 speakers in their place, sealed/secured the solder points on the speakers with Sugru and I'm off and running.

The sound is head & shoulders better and I can now run music at 1/2 volume and still hear everything clearly. If you hate the cheap speakers on your communicators, $25, a soldering iron, and 30 minutes of your time is a great upgrade.

One trick for the wiring is to remember that the wire on most stereo audio devices (including the 3.5mm extension cable and the chatterbox helmet cables) has very fine wires that are coated for insulation rather than encased in a plastic/rubber sleeve. The coating isn't conductive, so the easiest way to expose the wire is to take a lighter to the last 1/4" of each wire to burn off the coating. You'll see it melt away.

The fine stereo wire:

11000969145_a0d2b75ac8_z.jpg

Turtle Beach PX3 50mm Speakers (Front):

10985762434_73e9981697_b.jpg

Turtle Beach PX3 50mm Speakers (Back) / Sealed with Sugru:

10985814673_5481cdea4d_b.jpg

Archived