Helmet Speakers

Guest sigsauer33

• Member Contributer

Come back and tell us how it affects the battery life of the unit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I've spent a bit of time (and lots of money) fiddling around with my Sena SMH10 and various options for earbuds (I've about 5 or 6 pairs). Gave up in the end and went back to using the standard in-helmet Sena speakers and some 3M earplugs. It works great - the earplugs block out the wind noise, and there's enough volume to hear the music or phone or intercom with the plugs in. The best thing is not having to try and get the helmet on and off with the plugs in. I love the setup; put plugs in, XR1100 on, tap the phone button and jog dial to turn the Sena on, wait 5 seconds for the phone to pair, hold the jog dial in for a couple of seconds, and the music cranks up. I've taken to using it every day, even though the commute is only 15 - 20 minutes each way. There's only so much entertainment that can be derived from lane-splitting past slow cars and lines of commuter buses, and racing other bikers...

• Member Contributer

Come back and tell us how it affects the battery life of the unit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I'm back to tell you how it effects the battery life of the unit.... apparently, little or no effect at all compared to the stock speakers.

I rode for an hour on Saturday and seven hours on Sunday and the battery indicator on the Chatterbox still showed full (3 bars out of 3) and the music was piped in via Bluetooth the entire time. As long as I can get a full day of riding out of a single charge, I'm happy. The good battery life isn't surprising since these drivers came out of a PX3 gaming headset. I have the newer PX5 and it can give me a full day of gaming on two AA batteries, I was hoping the Chatterbox would do as well.

Very happy with the upgrade.

11058772464_b547690849_b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sounds great. I have been using some Torx speakers attached to my Sena smh-10 unit and the battery life is about half (half a day) from what it was with the Sena stock speakers. I don't know if perhaps my Sena unit is losing its ability to hold a charge or if it's the speakers. I'm going to get a new helmet clamp with speakers attached and see how it does. I have had my unit for a couple of years and use it almost every ride, so it may be done...

• Member Contributer

Just to weigh in here: I went with a wired setup and am quite happy. I always ride with earplugs and a Schuberth C3

I started off with a cheaper option first, to see if I would enjoy riding with music:

SanDisk Sanza Clip

HS92 speakers

It was a decent setup but not enough volume. I'm now using:

Torx X2 speakers

Cowon D2+ MP3 player

The Cowon D2 is one of the loudest MP3 players available and combined with the uprated Torx speakers, I have a lot more volume and clarity through the earplugs. Even over legal freeway speeds, the music comes in clear

I agree 100% earplugs with helmet speakers is the way to go.

As of today, I (very nearly) disagree with myself.

The 3M earplugs I had in were slightly too quiet on the way to work, and when I turned the Sena up, it beeped to say, "Th-th-th--that's all, folks!" :unsure:

So, on the way home, I didn't push them in so far, and was able to turn the volume down a bit.

Next thing is to find some slightly less efficient plugs... :491:

• Member Contributer

Sine the VFR is my only mode of transportation I find more and more I want to listen to music while riding ( I know SEB I read your post on not doing this http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif ) I have been using a set of E shure under my helmet but they are starting to really hurt my ears. I have seen speakers that are flat and go inside the helmet but every set that I look at is made for a comm system. Does anyone know of where i can find a set that i can plug into a mp3 player?

I use whatever comes with the Sena. I always wear earplugs so it doesn't really matter so long as it has enough volume to work with 32 db foam earplugs at speed.

• Member Contributer

I take a cheap pair of Maxwells headphones and remove the speakers and install them in the helmet with Velcro tape. Then I plug it onto my 8 gig Ipod with about 500 albums loaded and the volume is more than enough for me. It will play for two days with out re-charging ..

• Member Contributer

I've spent a bit of time (and lots of money) fiddling around with my Sena SMH10 and various options for earbuds (I've about 5 or 6 pairs). Gave up in the end and went back to using the standard in-helmet Sena speakers and some 3M earplugs. It works great - the earplugs block out the wind noise, and there's enough volume to hear the music or phone or intercom with the plugs in. The best thing is not having to try and get the helmet on and off with the plugs in. I love the setup; put plugs in, XR1100 on, tap the phone button and jog dial to turn the Sena on, wait 5 seconds for the phone to pair, hold the jog dial in for a couple of seconds, and the music cranks up. I've taken to using it every day, even though the commute is only 15 - 20 minutes each way. There's only so much entertainment that can be derived from lane-splitting past slow cars and lines of commuter buses, and racing other bikers...

^ this. I spent money (which I regret) on fancy earbuds only to have them be a complete pita to stay in while putting helmet on and taking off. One or the other bud would always fall out. Then I have a wire connected, which has to be removed. I wear my helmets tight, as they should be, for impact reasons, so I don't think any earbud would ever work. I ended up settling on the Sena provided helmet speakers and that's the best it is going to get until they design some louder, clearer speakers, that are made with their proprietary cable to interface. Same as you, it's enough. I can hear the music well, not as loud or clear as I want but it's enough and the best there is so far until the next thing comes out.

• Member Contributer

I agree 100% earplugs with helmet speakers is the way to go.

Yup, an using ear plugs helps to reduces rider fatigue. If you have never used ear plugs try them. Even the cheap foam ones will turn a 250mile day in to 300+ with engery left.

Archived