Amish Enthusiasts?

• Member Contributer

Had excellent weather this weekend, 70F on Saturday and 52F on Sunday. I took off on solo rides both days with no particular destination in mind, for about four hours on Saturday and for over three hours on Sunday. Lots of riders out, mostly cruisers, and all friendly, nearly all displaying "the sign" as they passed by.

Both days I was in Amish country for part of the ride. There were a lot of buggies out, especially on Sunday. I kept the dBs down as a courtesy while I passed them, and waved a thank you for pulling over a bit to let me pass. On two separate occasions, the buggy driver leaned out a bit and gave me "the sign" as I passed, with the slightest curl of a smile and the look of envy on his face. I thought that was very cool!

Has anyone else had a similar experience with our non-motorized friends? smile.gif

• Member Contributer
You got flicked off by an Amish guy??

That didn't take long. I knew it was coming, just not that quickly. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I've encountered several envious Amish folks over the years; they're usually pretty cool. One time, I parked my bike off a dirt path and went for a hike. When I came back, there was a horse and buggie tied up right next to the bike. If only I had had a camera with me!

• Member Contributer
Are you sure he wasn't throwing Amish gang signs?

Amish_Paradise.jpg

He was probably letting you know you were in the wrong "hood"

That's the guy! That's him! I know it's him because he had a beard just like that! tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

Amish_Paradise.jpg

:fing02: :beer: :laugh: LMAO

Is that gangsta paradise??

Almost pee'd myself on that Mike

• Member Contributer

Has anyone else had a similar experience with our non-motorized friends? smile.gif

You talkin about Harley riders?

:laugh:

So what sign do they give you? I saw a few last time I visited IN, but they were busy plowing the fields.

Amish_Paradise.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMAO

Yeah, that's what the pic said when I stole it off of some site. Whatever gansta paradise is.

• Member Contributer

Amish_Paradise.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMAO

Yeah, that's what the pic said when I stole it off of some site. Whatever gansta paradise is.

That'd be Weird Al in that there suit. Coolio the original songwriter and singer got very pissed about WA poking fun of his tune.

• Member Contributer

That'd be Weird Al in that there suit. Coolio the original songwriter and singer got very pissed about WA poking fun of his tune.

Coolio acted pissed, but he still cashed the royalty checks.

• Member Contributer

You talkin about Harley riders?

LMFAO!!! :unsure:

• Member Contributer

We have a decent # of Amish and Mennonite (Amish-lite) in our area. Hate to be discriminatory (pun intended), but they are pretty much the nicest most polite people I've met. They're not super friendly, they are a pretty closed group. But they are respectful. I almost always get a wave, friendly looks, etc. The Golden Rule is a good one - I try very hard not to spook their horses, nor upset them. Hopefully it leaves them with a better impression of 'us'. Mac

• Member Contributer
We have a decent # of Amish and Mennonite (Amish-lite) in our area. Hate to be discriminatory (pun intended), but they are pretty much the nicest most polite people I've met. They're not super friendly, they are a pretty closed group. But they are respectful. I almost always get a wave, friendly looks, etc. The Golden Rule is a good one - I try very hard not to spook their horses, nor upset them. Hopefully it leaves them with a better impression of 'us'. Mac

I couldn't agree with you more. These people actually believe in something and live by it. They are hard working, family and community oriented, respectful of others, do not impose their beliefs on others, and I admire and respect them for it.

I have a Mennonite family that has been taking care of my lawn for years (mowing, trimming, leaf mulching and pick up, Spring clean up, after storm clean up, tree limb removal, etc.). They have never been late, have never cancelled, have always done the job well, and have never complained about anything. They are the perfect employees.

I gave them a Christmas bonus check the first year they worked for me, and they refused to cash it. I guess I violated one of their beliefs regarding accepting gifts? So every Spring I ask them if their costs have increased and if they need to raise their prices accordingly. They have only done so two or three times in ten years, and they were minor increases. I also refer my neighbors to them and they have picked up some additional customers over the years as a result.

What's not to like? Different is good! :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I was raised in mansfield ohio,big amish country they are some of the best folks.Miss there resturants,cheese,and if bought a amish built house it was the best you could get.Diversity a good thing.

Regards,

Mike

• Member Contributer

No Amish here but I did have a 5th grade boy make a phone sign with his hand and mouth 'call me' from his schoolbus!! :unsure: I thought I would drop the bike!! :goofy:

:unsure:

Both Mennonite and Amish are in this area. Nice people. I spent four years in university with a new order Mennonite friend.

I used to drive into here from away. Some Mennonite orders allow themselves to drive in cars. The women are crazy fast in a straight line, but I've seen them come to a halt to turn either way. I suppose that it comes from learning to drive on a buggy. {Please, really there is no insult intended, here.}

They are just people and have similar wants and tastes as everyone else. They may simply be constrained in the expression by religious faith.

+1. I ride thru Amish country often here in OH. I do my best not to spook their horses. Just gotta watch out for road apples, esp. in the curves! :unsure: tongue.gif

• Member Contributer
Just gotta watch out for road apples, esp. in the curves! :goofy: tongue.gif

That's what I call a true "OH $HIT!" moment :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Amish_Paradise.jpg

Nah, he's throwing the shocker with his left hand. :unsure:

Dirk

• Member Contributer

+1. I ride thru Amish country often here in OH. I do my best not to spook their horses. Just gotta watch out for road apples, esp. in the curves! :ohmy: tongue.gif

+1 on the apple patches...tar snakes got nothin' on a greasy manure slick :ohmy: :goofy:

Archived