Dunlop Roadsmarts:5000 Mile Wear Report

Dariusx

• Member Contributer

Nice write up. However, I'd be hard pressed to find a tire that outperforms the Avon Storms. I replaced my last set at 6k miles. That is the most mileage I have ever seen on Florida slabs. With most speeds at 90mph it doesn't take long to kill a set of rubbers.

I just did 1500+ miles with the TMAC on a new set of Storms and they never slipped. I would love to find a tire that will give me the same grip and longer mileage.......the hunt continues....

Have to agree about the Storms. I went from them to the set of PR2CT's I have on now. The Michelins handle terrible compared to the Storms. I can put the bike where I want it with the PR's but it's requires much more input. :biggrin:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have to agree about the Storms. Been riding on them for the last few years--much more confidence inspiring than the Z6's I ran before.

I spooned on a new set of Storms prior to my Colorado trip last summer. Temperatures from the mid 90's to the upper 30s, and some of the most torrential rains I have ever ridden thru (try finding an overpass in South Dakota to hide under sometime!!) and the tires were always predictable. Even with my fat a$, saddle bags, and tail bag full-- the tires showed very acceptable wear after 4500 miles. I'll probably get another 1.5-2K miles out of them.

• Member Contributer

Nice write up. However, I'd be hard pressed to find a tire that outperforms the Avon Storms. I replaced my last set at 6k miles. That is the most mileage I have ever seen on Florida slabs. With most speeds at 90mph it doesn't take long to kill a set of rubbers.

I just did 1500+ miles with the TMAC on a new set of Storms and they never slipped. I would love to find a tire that will give me the same grip and longer mileage.......the hunt continues....

Have to agree about the Storms. I went from them to the set of PR2CT's I have on now. The Michelins handle terrible compared to the Storms. I can put the bike where I want it with the PR's but it's requires much more input. :biggrin:

That is quite a testimonial as normally when you switch tires you are are going from a shagged tire with a bad profile to a "perfect" shape so there is a natural bias towards the new tire.

• Member Contributer

I have had just about every style of Dunlop and have been fine with all of them except the Roadsmarts. The first set wore in a pattern I've never seen/heard of and they did it in less than 2k miles. The dealership worked out a very good deal with me for a new set and said they never saw anything like that either. The second set has about 3k and is now doing the SAME THING!!! Damn it! They seem to be fine as long as I ride a mix of road types but both sets look identical after long stretches of super slab. (1k miles +). Air pressure is spot on, not extreme temps + or -, no passenger, full saddle bags, almost empty trunk. If anybody has ANY ideas, please speak up. The tires are getting a RAISED strip all the way around the circumference, almost as if you glued a yardstick around the tire. Cornering after this happens is crazy. There isn't any cupping and it isn't normal flat spotting the center. I have asked at 3 shops and everybody just shrugs their shoulders and says they've never seen it. Well, now I've seen it twice. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

gallery_581_512_121360.jpg

Dunlop Roadsmarts

• Member Contributer

I don't really have a good shot of my front but this is at a about 5.3K.

2964743740099738507S500x500Q85.jpg

The right side is better than the left at this point but I do not have the ridges you have experienced. Most of my miles are on the backroads with little straight lining but over half are loaded touring miles.

• Member Contributer

I have had just about every style of Dunlop and have been fine with all of them except the Roadsmarts. The first set wore in a pattern I've never seen/heard of and they did it in less than 2k miles. The dealership worked out a very good deal with me for a new set and said they never saw anything like that either. The second set has about 3k and is now doing the SAME THING!!! Damn it! They seem to be fine as long as I ride a mix of road types but both sets look identical after long stretches of super slab. (1k miles +). Air pressure is spot on, not extreme temps + or -, no passenger, full saddle bags, almost empty trunk. If anybody has ANY ideas, please speak up. The tires are getting a RAISED strip all the way around the circumference, almost as if you glued a yardstick around the tire. Cornering after this happens is crazy. There isn't any cupping and it isn't normal flat spotting the center. I have asked at 3 shops and everybody just shrugs their shoulders and says they've never seen it. Well, now I've seen it twice. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Dunlop Roadsmarts

The set I ran did the same thing but I didn't have any issues when cornering. I thought it was due to them being dual compound but later found out that only the rear tire is dual.

• Member Contributer

Dunlop Roadsmarts

quit ridin a straight line all the time!tongue.gif

OK should I get another pair of Roadsmarts or go with the PR2s, new Angel STs from Pirelli or another choice? Anybody go from Roadsmarts to PR2s or the reverse?

I went from PR2 to roadsmarts and like the PR2 a little better. The PR2 lasts longer, doesn't square off as quick. Also I think they offer more grip. Next will be the Angel ST.

• Member Contributer

OK should I get another pair of Roadsmarts or go with the PR2s, new Angel STs from Pirelli or another choice? Anybody go from Roadsmarts to PR2s or the reverse?

I went from PR2 to roadsmarts and like the PR2 a little better. The PR2 lasts longer, doesn't square off as quick. Also I think they offer more grip. Next will be the Angel ST.

I really liked the RS rear but not as happy with the front mileage. I think I will try the Angel ST as well? To the best of my knowledge it is the "newest" tire out there.

• Member Contributer

That's the wierd thing with these tires. If I was riding long distance line a straight line, (which I was) it should wear it down FLAT, not raise it up. I just don't get it... :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I really liked the RS rear but not as happy with the front mileage. I think I will try the Angel ST as well? To the best of my knowledge it is the "newest" tire out there.

I have read two reviews on the Angel. Both said they were great except in the rain. Since you're from San Diego and I'm in Colorado, rain performance isn't a huge deal to either one of us. I'll be checking this one out as well next round.

That's the wierd thing with these tires. If I was riding long distance line a straight line, (which I was) it should wear it down FLAT, not raise it up. I just don't get it... :fing02:

My brother had the same issue on his wing. His tire looked exactly the same.wink.gif

• Member Contributer

My brother had the same issue on his wing. His tire looked exactly the same.wink.gif

I would love to get the same thing that I get on my Wing. Just checked my 1800 mileage on the front and I have 12K and still a perfect profile.............and it does great in the corners too. Again mostly twisties but with a touch more slab than the VFR. I use the OEM Stone on the front.

Nice write up on this thread!

I'm running the Metzeler Sportec M-3's ...they're really sticky. They only lasted 2k. I just put my second set on. Great grip for riding to Alice's and the whole Rt 9 area ( Bay Area). Lot's of twisties. I ran them right to the ends last weekend. Overall great grip but not a commuter tire. More of a performance tire :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I have had just about every style of Dunlop and have been fine with all of them except the Roadsmarts. The first set wore in a pattern I've never seen/heard of and they did it in less than 2k miles. The dealership worked out a very good deal with me for a new set and said they never saw anything like that either. The second set has about 3k and is now doing the SAME THING!!! Damn it! They seem to be fine as long as I ride a mix of road types but both sets look identical after long stretches of super slab. (1k miles +). Air pressure is spot on, not extreme temps + or -, no passenger, full saddle bags, almost empty trunk. If anybody has ANY ideas, please speak up. The tires are getting a RAISED strip all the way around the circumference, almost as if you glued a yardstick around the tire. Cornering after this happens is crazy. There isn't any cupping and it isn't normal flat spotting the center. I have asked at 3 shops and everybody just shrugs their shoulders and says they've never seen it. Well, now I've seen it twice. :fing02: :wheel: :pissed:

I see you ride a 97, how many miles do you have on it? When was the last time you changed the fork oil? If your fork's valving are worn and/or have old oil, the damping will be compromised and cupping or irregular wear patterns can result. The fact you had it twice in a row to me suggests you have a suspension issue. I would recommend you have the valving refreshed by a suspension expert.

• Member Contributer

Nice write up on this thread!

I'm running the Metzeler Sportec M-3's ...they're really sticky. They only lasted 2k. I just put my second set on. Great grip for riding to Alice's and the whole Rt 9 area ( Bay Area). Lot's of twisties. I ran them right to the ends last weekend. Overall great grip but not a commuter tire. More of a performance tire :fing02:

I have slowed down a bit since my 99 was new and don't feel the need for "Maverick Speed" anymore :goofy: and do not push the ST tires to the limit anyway. 2K would not cut if for me as most of my VFRs tours are at least that long. I do like to show cord........especially when the wife asks me about it :pissed:

I have jumped on a nice yellow VFR with sticky performance rubber and Ohlins and I must say I did like it ...........but not for touring. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Have to agree about the Storms. I went from them to the set of PR2CT's I have on now. The Michelins handle terrible compared to the Storms. I can put the bike where I want it with the PR's but it's requires much more input. :fing02:

That is quite a testimonial as normally when you switch tires you are are going from a shagged tire with a bad profile to a "perfect" shape so there is a natural bias towards the new tire.

I've run many sets of Storms so I know what both feel like new. When the set or PR2's were new they handled like dogs compared to a Storm in any state of wear. Storms turn in very easily. Best ST tire made for handling in my experience. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

I have had just about every style of Dunlop and have been fine with all of them except the Roadsmarts. The first set wore in a pattern I've never seen/heard of and they did it in less than 2k miles. The dealership worked out a very good deal with me for a new set and said they never saw anything like that either. The second set has about 3k and is now doing the SAME THING!!! Damn it! They seem to be fine as long as I ride a mix of road types but both sets look identical after long stretches of super slab. (1k miles +). Air pressure is spot on, not extreme temps + or -, no passenger, full saddle bags, almost empty trunk. If anybody has ANY ideas, please speak up. The tires are getting a RAISED strip all the way around the circumference, almost as if you glued a yardstick around the tire. Cornering after this happens is crazy. There isn't any cupping and it isn't normal flat spotting the center. I have asked at 3 shops and everybody just shrugs their shoulders and says they've never seen it. Well, now I've seen it twice. :fing02: :wheel: :pissed:

I see you ride a 97, how many miles do you have on it? When was the last time you changed the fork oil? If your fork's valving are worn and/or have old oil, the damping will be compromised and cupping or irregular wear patterns can result. The fact you had it twice in a row to me suggests you have a suspension issue. I would recommend you have the valving refreshed by a suspension expert.

Good call. I did have the fork oil changed right after I had the second set of Roadsmarts mounted because I was wondering if three year old oil was to blame. Once things warm up again, I'll get out and reset my sag adjustments too to see if that helps. I did recently back the adjustment on the top of the forks out one full turn to soften the ride a bit. However, I have ridden with it set pretty stiff for quite a while without any issues until I mounted the Roadsmarts. I'm only at 30k thanks in great part to a very short 6 mile commute. Thanks for the brainstorming.

• Member Contributer

Good call. I did have the fork oil changed right after I had the second set of Roadsmarts mounted because I was wondering if three year old oil was to blame. Once things warm up again, I'll get out and reset my sag adjustments too to see if that helps. I did recently back the adjustment on the top of the forks out one full turn to soften the ride a bit. However, I have ridden with it set pretty stiff for quite a while without any issues until I mounted the Roadsmarts. I'm only at 30k thanks in great part to a very short 6 mile commute. Thanks for the brainstorming.

It's definitely an issue with those front tires cause those pictures could easily have been mine. It's as if the center was made of steal and refused to wear while the sides wore twice as fast.

It's definitely an issue with those front tires cause those pictures could easily have been mine. It's as if the center was made of steal and refused to wear while the sides wore twice as fast.

Yes, front wearing to be a v chape is common, more twist you ride the more so (spechally on a haver bike like the VFR) thro I have seen center flat tires on some BMW, just straight highway cruising do that. Sound boring to me.

I have to see how my RS will look after next season as I will comute whit it. I have 2000km so far on them, and looking like new :goofy:

• 1 month later...

I replaced the Metezler ME-Z4 tires that came stock on my 2007 two weeks ago (after 7500 miles) and had the chance to ride them on some twisty roads this weekend. I live in Oklahoma City and rode 74 (a straight line), 74-C (a hilly road with a series of 90-deg. turns; watch for gravel, too) from Crescent to 77 between Guthrie and Mulhall (long high-speed sweepers along the Cimarron River) and 33 (a few hilly sweepers).

The Roadsmarts were an excellent replacement choice for me. The Z4s were very harsh and would communicate every expansion joint with a sharp jolt to the bars and seat. In contrast, the Roadsmarts absorb all but the sharpest bumps and appear to do so without a loss of lateral stiffness. They hold the road well despite accommodating vertical inputs.

At least while new, they also have excellent cornering characteristics. The transition from upright to fully leaned over is seemingly linear. In contrast, the Z4s seemed almost triangular in profile, with sharp distinction between upright and turned, becoming worse with wear.

I previously had a 97 VFR which came with Dunlop D-205s and I switched to D-220s. The Roadsmarts are far better than either on my 97, but the bikes are different, too.

Hope this is helpful!

Tom

• Member Contributer

I have read two reviews on the Angel. Both said they were great except in the rain. Since you're from San Diego and I'm in Colorado, rain performance isn't a huge deal to either one of us. I'll be checking this one out as well next round.

I read a review that said the Angel STs were exceptional in the rain.. :fing02: Hmmm.. Planning on giving them a try when the OE Dunlops die. I'll find out about the rain, as it does that every day in the summer here :laugh:

Angel ST Review

• Member Contributer

I just replaced the front Roadsmart with a ST Angel. No rides yet.

The Roadsmart lasted 6100 miles ...about the same as a BT21 front. The Roadsmart profile at tha point was horrible unlike the rear which still has "shape". There still was useable tread in the middle on the front but the sides were shot/bald.

I used to get about 7.5 on a front VFR tire but new generation fronts (BT21/Smart) don't seem to get the same mileage. The rear roadsmart has a few miles left on it and I will pull it off for the next big ride. The rear roadsmart mileage is the best I have had so far at 6K plus.

Archived