Will 5th Gen Headers Fit On A 6th Gen?

Hawkeye Driver

They will fit all day long. Be warned! You don't need to get new pipes for the rear cylinders. They are the same from the '98-'99 and the '02 except they are plain steel instead of stainless steel as the '02 headers are. I installed a brand new set on my '02 and learned this the hard way. All you need is the headers assembly for the front cylinders.

I sanded mine down good, got them antiseptic with soap and water, cleaned them thoroughly with lacquer thinner, and then painted them with DEI high temp exhaust paint. No need for jet coating or any of that expensive stuff. Make sure you wear latex gloves when working with them after you clean them with lacquer thinner.

Good paint job on the headers is all in the prep.

Make sure you install new copper crush washers where the headers bolt into the heads.

They will fit all day long. Be warned! You don't need to get new pipes for the rear cylinders. They are the same from the '98-'99 and the '02

I don't see how this would work w/o some magic gaskets as 98-99 headers are 43mm tubes and 00-up are 41mm. :goofy:

As the topic title asks, will a set of headers off of a 98 fit on my 02? Been wanting to go catless for a while.

Depending on the timing, I'll have a set of catless available soon...

I gutted my sixth gen. and there currently getting ceramic coated. I'll post up a how to soon.....

DSCF1542.jpg

PM me if interested,

Greg

Thanks for the info. Saw a set of 98 headers on ebay. My bid was too little, too late so no joy.

Greg, PM sent.

I missed that same set by $2.00..... arghhhh.

As the topic title asks, will a set of headers off of a 98 fit on my 02? Been wanting to go catless for a while.

I gutted my sixth gen. and there currently getting ceramic coated. I'll post up a how to soon.....

DSCF1542.jpg

PM me if interested,

Greg

It took the guy who gutted my cat almost an hour with a plasma cutter to get it done. He was a pretty cool guy, he even helped take the pipes off and put them back on. He was only going to ask for $75.00 bucks but it took about 3 1/2 hours total to get the pipes off and back on and everything so I gave him $125.00.

BR:

I orderd my set from Ron Ayers and they looked exactly the same to me. I did go ahead and use the new rear head pipes although I have admit they were a very sloppy fit in where they join into the front headers right behind the right footpeg. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I had to make up some reducing sleeves for that joint.

Might ought to double check mine and make sure I didn't get screwed by Ron Ayers. The more I think about it the more I think I did get screwed (if they are indeed different diameters).

Thanks for pointing that out Kevin - I will double check mine as soon as possible and make a future posting on this subject.

Pete

Guys:

I just went to the Ron Ayers.com website and for some reason they are not listing the '99 VFR800. '98 and the '02 models of course. BR's comment has got me to thinking that I got a number done on me. I remember now what a pain it was to install the '99 mufflers on my '02 with the majority of time being spent getting the small sized rear head pipes to fit securely into the muffler.

Kevin - thanks for opening my eyes to what looks like might have been a number done to me by Ron Ayers. It's late Sunday evening, got to go to work in the morning, but I will be checking this out this week.

Right off, what other websites than Ron Ayers lists the Honda part numbers? Bike Bandit uses their own part numbering system so I can't make a direct comparison.

Time to go to bed.

I'll keep all of you posted.

Pete

• Member Contributer
I remember now what a pain it was to install the '99 mufflers on my '02 with the majority of time being spent getting the small sized rear head pipes to fit securely into the muffler.

I'm thinking troll now.

• Member Contributer
They will fit all day long. Be warned! You don't need to get new pipes for the rear cylinders. They are the same from the '98-'99 and the '02

I don't see how this would work w/o some magic gaskets as 98-99 headers are 43mm tubes and 00-up are 41mm. :unsure:

You have to modify the muffler bearing to get them to fit right! Leave the mods to us that know what we're doing, you must be new around here! :fing02:

:dry:

• 4 months later...

DSCF1542.jpg

PM me if interested,

Greg

im wanting to gut my cat conv. what r the pros and cons of doing this and what else will i have to do to my bike to make it run right?

DSCF1542.jpg

PM me if interested,

Greg

im wanting to gut my cat conv. what r the pros and cons of doing this and what else will i have to do to my bike to make it run right?

• Member Contributer

DSCF1542.jpg

PM me if interested,

Greg

Did you sell your cats? If so what did you get for them? I have heard they will bring a pretty penny...to buy more farkles! Please post the how to. Thanks, John

• Member Contributer

Just a quick synopsis:

Pros are free flowing exhaust.

Cons, it makes the lean VFR run leaner.

To make it run right a Power Commander and mapping would be recommended.

Maybe a decibel or two; not much. I found the smoother and faster ability to rev more impressive.

So it revs even better catless. Intresting. On the newer cars removing the cat really doesn't do much since they flow so well nowdays.

Archived